What's new

Leon: 10th Anniversary Edition coming "later this year" (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can't believe this.

How many times is Columbia going to
repackage and sell this film to us on DVD?

I swear, I have never seen a studio put more
multiple versions of their films out on one
format than Columbia.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Unfortunately, this may very well be true. I've seen a few of Columbia SEs where they reused the old transfers and just added special features. The film itself only looked better because of better compression techniques or the film now being spread over 2 layers (Jerry Maguire SE and Groundhog Day SE come to mind).

Chris

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Portman's new commentary track, plus the potential of having BOTH versions of the film together, sounds good to me. Mind you, no one has said it will include both versions, but I'd like it if it did.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
My thoughts are pretty much what Ron just stated.

I really dig this film but I have Leon w/corrected audio :p) so I'll be passing this up.

No sale! :D

I'd prefer it if Columbia spent their time producing DVD's of films that aren't currently out already or if they're intent on trying to sell us the same film over & over again how about something that screams for a vastly improved edition like Guns of Navarone.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
I have the R2J Advanced Collector's Edition already, which has DTS and heaps of special features. :)

BrunnenMatt

Agent
Just bought the wonderful R2 Leon Double Pack Edition (Limited to 20,000) that comes with special digipack and picture/postcard book the other day.

Columbia Tristar does not sell many DVD's with DTS these days unless it is a Superbit in the U.S.A, but other regions might have a DTS track.

Let's hope it is a Special Edition then just releasing it with the same old stuff and let's hope there finally got rid of the faulty 5.1 then keeping it in there vaults.

My friend was just about to buy the Korean DVD release it included both cuts of the film, but I will tell him to hold of for the moment.

...BMatt

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

I read in an interview with Portman once (can't find link) that Besson finished the script, written specifically for her, and that it's terrific. She loaded it with praises. She doesn't know when Besson plans to film, but she was very, very excited about it. If her enthusiasm is any indicator, this will be a worthy sequel.

As for this DVD... I'm glad I held off. If this is the international cut, and there's a commentray... I'm sold. :D

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Am I missing something? The Superbit of Leon came out long after the mastering error was fixed on the regular release -but one of the posters in this thread is implying that the Superbit has the mastering problems. Yay or nay?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
yay. The superbit uses the faulty audio track. Many people, including fans of superbit, have also pointed out that the picture quality on the superbit is nearly identical the non superbit. For my money, the corrected audio / non superbit edition is the best version available in R1. Also, on the superbit you miss out on the isolated score.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
Review of the Japanese R2 Advanced Collector's Edition:
http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?h...d.php?t=140362

I have the R2J DTS edition. The print quality seems good to me. There is no edge enhancement so the image basically does not look sharpened. (i.e. The print is not from the same source as Columbia's R1 editions.)

I sold my R1 edition so I am not able to do a side-by-side comparison between the R1 and R2J editions...

CraigL

Screenwriter
As myself and another member of dvdtalk have stated, that review is wrong.

There is VERY little surround action going on on the Japanese disc as well.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Yes the new R2 looks better than the first R1 but has less Surround. I do not notice more red at all, in my comparisons. It wouldn't surprise me if the new anniverary edition has the surround bug as well. I mean if Columbia can make the mistake twice and the R2 make a 3rd mistake, then it can be done a forth time.

Jeff

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator

That's exactly why I held off initially on getting that disc. I'm glad I did now. WTF is it with this movie? Why is it so hard to get it right? I honestly, truthfully believe that when this new SE is released, it will have the faulty audio track as well. Just wait and see (or hear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks