What's new

Lengthy S-video run... which cable to buy? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I'm getting ready close on my first home next month and I'm planning my HT needs before I get in so I'm prepared. I'm going to turn a coat closet near the living room into an equipment closet. I've already got a source for the 45ft. component cables for HDTV and DVD, now I'm looking for a 45ft s-video cable for SD television. What are some budget priced cables at that length that will yield good results? It seems that AR doesn't make any s-vid cables over 12' or 24'. The only other options that I've found so far are an $80 piece from www.bluejeanscable.com and this $51 piece from avcable.com. I don't have a problem spending the money for a cable as long as it's worth the money and I can't get something comparable for less. Anyone else out there running a long length of S-video? Any opinions? Thanks guys.

Mike

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Check out BDCable. you will have to e-mail them. They quoted me $12.50 ea for S-video Break out cables and then $76.68 for a 30' bi L-5CFB cable (techflex wrap) BNC-BNC.

This seemes the way to travel distances with S-Video.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I'd go with a regular S-video cable for that length. The added complexity and size/weight of a break-out cable isn't needed.
If it was me I'd go with Avcable because they have been around longer and have more experience with Soldered cable making. I could be wrong but the s-video cables that Avcable offers may even be factory made (Gepco).

Jay Mann

Auditioning
Anyone know about using cat5 to carry the s-video signal? I thought I remember reading that somewhere (and it was fairly simple with wall connects/plates).

http://www.smarthome.com/865166.html

Was going to suggest this as a cheaper alternative for you, but not unless someone else can stand in and recommend it from first hand experience.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Cat 5 cables work well as a twisted pair, but for DIGITAL signals, not analog. Cat 5 is also not designed for the 75 ohm impedence that video systems require.

While I agree with Mark on many issues, I gotta disagree with him on using the 45 ft SVideo cable. The internal conductor of a SVideo cable is 30 ga, while good RG6 coax is 18 ga - a lot thicker which is better for long runs. 45 ft is fairly long.

My advice: run a second component cable. Contact one of the above sites that offer break-out SVideo connections and have them:

- Terminate 2 of the cables with BNC connectors to attach the SVideo breakout
- Terminate 1 of the cables with a RCA plug to give you a composite cable.

So now you will have Component, SVideo and Composite cables.

Later, if you ever get away from SVideo sources and go strictly high-def video, just cut off the BNC connectors and attach bananas and you now have a second component cable run.

The cable is cheap compared to your time/effort installing the wire.

Hope this helps.

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the great input guys. I understand that the length that I need is kind of on the border of what is recommended. I just checked bluejeanscable again and they have a 45ft S-video breakout set for $100. I may just go this route and be done with it. Bob, I've already ordered two lengths of component cable and one composite for my needs. I never thought about doing it the way you suggested, but I'll make do just fine by buying the S-vid breakout set. Thanks again for the insight.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks