Lengthy S-video run... which cable to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Morgan, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I'm getting ready close on my first home next month and I'm planning my HT needs before I get in so I'm prepared. I'm going to turn a coat closet near the living room into an equipment closet. I've already got a source for the 45ft. component cables for HDTV and DVD, now I'm looking for a 45ft s-video cable for SD television. What are some budget priced cables at that length that will yield good results? It seems that AR doesn't make any s-vid cables over 12' or 24'. The only other options that I've found so far are an $80 piece from www.bluejeanscable.com and this $51 piece from avcable.com. I don't have a problem spending the money for a cable as long as it's worth the money and I can't get something comparable for less. Anyone else out there running a long length of S-video? Any opinions? Thanks guys.

Mike

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Check out BDCable. you will have to e-mail them. They quoted me $12.50 ea for S-video Break out cables and then $76.68 for a 30' bi L-5CFB cable (techflex wrap) BNC-BNC.

This seemes the way to travel distances with S-Video.

3. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I'd go with a regular S-video cable for that length. The added complexity and size/weight of a break-out cable isn't needed.
    If it was me I'd go with Avcable because they have been around longer and have more experience with Soldered cable making. I could be wrong but the s-video cables that Avcable offers may even be factory made (Gepco).

4. Jay Mann

Jay Mann Auditioning

Anyone know about using cat5 to carry the s-video signal? I thought I remember reading that somewhere (and it was fairly simple with wall connects/plates).

http://www.smarthome.com/865166.html

Was going to suggest this as a cheaper alternative for you, but not unless someone else can stand in and recommend it from first hand experience.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Cat 5 cables work well as a twisted pair, but for DIGITAL signals, not analog. Cat 5 is also not designed for the 75 ohm impedence that video systems require.

While I agree with Mark on many issues, I gotta disagree with him on using the 45 ft SVideo cable. The internal conductor of a SVideo cable is 30 ga, while good RG6 coax is 18 ga - a lot thicker which is better for long runs. 45 ft is fairly long.

My advice: run a second component cable. Contact one of the above sites that offer break-out SVideo connections and have them:

- Terminate 2 of the cables with BNC connectors to attach the SVideo breakout
    - Terminate 1 of the cables with a RCA plug to give you a composite cable.

So now you will have Component, SVideo and Composite cables.

Later, if you ever get away from SVideo sources and go strictly high-def video, just cut off the BNC connectors and attach bananas and you now have a second component cable run.

The cable is cheap compared to your time/effort installing the wire.

Hope this helps.

6. Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the great input guys. I understand that the length that I need is kind of on the border of what is recommended. I just checked bluejeanscable again and they have a 45ft S-video breakout set for $100. I may just go this route and be done with it. Bob, I've already ordered two lengths of component cable and one composite for my needs. I never thought about doing it the way you suggested, but I'll make do just fine by buying the S-vid breakout set. Thanks again for the insight.

Mike