What's new

Lengthy list of upcoming Warner releases @ DVD Shrine, including Batman animated... (1 Viewer)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
DVD Shrine has oodles of Warner release dates on their site, and among the highlights are:
04/23/02 - Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub Zero
04/23/02 - Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker (original cut)
04/23/02 - Batman/Superman Movie, The
04/23/02 - Batman: The Animated Series - The Legend Begins
04/23/02 - Justice League
I knew the 'April 2002' date had been bandied about for these titles on Toonzone, but I hadn't seen a full date until now.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I noticed that European Vacation will finally be released this April. Any word on features?
My prediction is that this will be another of Warner's horrible MAR releases. I hope I'm wrong.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Was there any news about Mask of the Phantasm? With all of the other related titles coming out on the same day it seems odd that it would be released later. Maybe they're just trying to be nice to my bank account :D . In any event I can't wait for the Animated Series! Come on April!
Chris S.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
B0000399WH.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

This was released on DVD on 12/21/1999!!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Yes, but there was hope that Warner was also going to do a rerelease with 1.33:1 since the OAR was not preserved.

Chris S.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Chris: The current Mask Of The Phantasm disc includes both full-frame and widescreen versions.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I spotted a few "gems" within the list...it looks like they're releasing most of their 2002 Turner catalog titles during quarter 2, 3, and 4.

My prediction is that this will be another of Warner's horrible MAR releases. I hope I'm wrong.
Why would this DVD be MAR? WB stopped doing P&S-only a long time ago in case you have been in a coma and missed the whole Wonka incident.

I would be more worried about MGM titles since they like to put P&S versions with most of their newer releases. Of course, WB releases a few P&S DVD's and suddenly it's like they won't release OAR anymore.

Even Caddyshack got OAR, so it's not like the studio is against it (as noted by a widescreen-only DVD of The Goonies)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I want Warner Bros. to re-release "Mask of the Phantasm" with the great HBO First Look special that aired when the film was released. WB owns HBO, it wouldn't be a rights issue. It was a great special.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Chris, Mask of the Phantasm OAR is 1.85:1. It's Open Matte, so the 1.33 side doesn't have the right compostions.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
John, you beat me to it. Thank goodness for guys like Donner, unlike $pielberg and Ron Howard, who don't care if its released in both formats, as they just want as much money as possible.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
According to the April brochure, Joe Vs. The Volcano, Barcelona, Victor Victoria & European Vaction will be in their orginal aspect ratios.

I've seen enough of these to know where aspect ratio is listed and these seem to say 16 X 9, and the respective aspect ratio. Exit To Eden seems to be full frame, but it's an HBO product you never know with them.

The details are incrdibly difficult to make out on the animated releases, but it looks as though all of them will be presented in full-frame.

It looks as if all of the animated product will be full-frame. Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker and the Batman/SUperman Movie make sense, that's the only way they've been available.

The only thing that worries me is that Justice League does exist in a widescreen format, it is shown during Cartoon Network's Sunday repeats. Sub Zero was previously presented in it's original 1.66 aspect ratio on laser disc, and when compared to the VHS, it's a crop job.

Daniel L

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I want Warner Bros. to re-release "Mask of the Phantasm" with the great HBO First Look special that aired when the film was released.
Tom B: I, for one, have zero desire to re-purchase this title for the one supplement...or any other supplements I could think of. I'm sure many more people would feel the same, esp. those less devoted to DVD collecting than HTF members tend to be. Maybe it would be better to campaign for this supplement to be included as part of the Batman: TAS box set instead?...

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
According to one of the producers for Justice League at toonzone.net, they compose JL for widescreen. They wanted it only shown in WS, but Cartoon Network didn't want to risk pissing people off by running it during the prime slot Mondays after Samurai Jack. So, they show it open matte, then they show the correctly intended matted version on Sundays.

What would be considered the OAR here?

Rob T

Screenwriter
Bruce Timm says that they animate JL in full frame then matte it for widescreen.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Gui,

From what I understand the film was originally animated in a 1.33:1 ratio. Then it was matted to a 1.85:1 ratio for the theater. When a full frame version was made it was taken from the theatrical ratio and not the 1.33:1 it was originally animated in. Is this information not correct?

All I'm saying is that if it was animated in 1.33:1 with an initial intention of showing it in that ratio then why not release it that way as well.

Chris S

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Great announcements. But what would have put it "over the top' would have been if there was a domestic release of the Gen-13 animated movie directed by Kevin Altieri (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm), which was considered too non-kid-oriented for Americans, but has been released on video with a "PG13" type of rating in Germany, Australia, England and some other countries. It actually only supposed to be so-so.
I'm not sure what studio owns it.
From what I hear, it was another case not understanding that adults are the primary audience for comic book based animations. So they shelved it, even though it has voices including: Alicia Witt (Mr. Holland's Opus) as Caitlin Fairchild, Flea (the naked musician) as Grunge, E.G. Daly (Pee Wee's Big Adventure) as Freefall and John deLancie (Q on Star Trek) as Lynch. Bad guys include Mark Hamill (Star Wars) as Threshold, Lauren Lane (The Nanny) as Ivana and Cloris Leachman (Phyllis) as Helga. Here's a pic:
http://www.comics2film.com/images/Gen13GRAd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks