What's new

Length of sonosub legs? (1 Viewer)

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
I am building another sonosub. This one is a dual Shiva in 24" tube. One driver on top and one on the bottom along with the port.
What I need to know is what should the distance be between the base plate and the bottom end cap? 4"? 6"?
Maybe Tom V will chime in here?

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Hey Julian.
Yeah it really doesn't matter, I just thought Tom had done some tests on that dimension and came up with some more output at a certain height. It may or may not be the same for a sub like this but I just thought I'd ask. My last one, the single Tempest, had a distance of 6".

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
My legs are 2.25" and they're a bit too short, as Tom said they would be. As I recall, his 'magic number' was just under 3". You could probably go a bit lower if you use wide flared ports, but my ports (2x4") just use a 3/4" rounded routered edge.
I have played with my height a bit and found that low-end output improves by 3 or 4 dB until my subs are about 4" off the floor. Above that there is no change in the output.
BTW, how big of a port are you planning on using with dual drivers?
Rick
------------------

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Found what Dr. Hyre wrote to me in my email archive. This is in regards to a Tempest.
-----
For max performance, we recommend at least 3x cone area
in clearance under the sub driver (~4"), and at least one
vent diameter clearance from the wall, more on both if
possible.
-----
-----
(PI*D*H) = 3 * (PI*R*R) gives H=3.75" between floor &
driver.
-----
So the height for a Shiva would be around 3". But if you are using a 4" port than it should be at least 4" is how I interpret it.

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
Hey Guys, thanks for the responses.
This sub is more or less a Mike Knapp "Water Heater" clone. Although mine has beefier end caps and internal bracing.
So the port being used is 8" PVC (down firing).

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I believe my Shiva sonosub had 4" legs while my Tempest has 6" legs. I don't know if they are the correct lengths but they seem to work well. :)
------------------AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks