Len Bias

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Donovan, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Donovan

Donovan Agent

It's NBA season again and all this talk about Lebron James stirred up some old memories for me. Not sure why, but it just did. Maybe I see a little of Bias in James?

Does anyone outside of Maryland and Boston remember how great Bias was, and how the Celts would have 3 more championiships if the drugs didn't kill him. [​IMG] Sometimes I think about what the basketball world would look like today in what would have been his 17th season. It's hard to believe that Karl Malone came into the league just one year before Bias.

Please share any memories or thoughts you have.

GEO

2. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

ACC fan here and yes I remember him vividly. Great ballplayer. He is one of the few I will actually watch old games of on ESPN Classic.

An aside on a different player - my dad and I are watching an ESPN classic game with MJ - you know the game where he does the "cuff" jam. That move by MJ made my dad actually stand up. We looked at each other like "wow". The only other time he has stood up or gotten excited during a ballgame was when Laettner hit the turnaround against Kentucky.

3. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I have been a Celts fan from the day they drafted Larry Bird. The first college hoop game I remember was Indiana State/Michgan State for the 1979 NCAA championship, Magic vs. Bird Part I.

I'll never forget when the Celts drafted Len Bias. The highlight reels were rolling on the local news and everyone was in awe and full of nervous excitement. Shortly afterward everyone on the eastern seaboard was in shock. I recall that being the first time I ever heard of crack cocaine.

What a shame. He had the world on a string.

4. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I was in the middle of the midwest, a lifelong celtics fan. I was mowing the lawn on a riding mower, listening to sports radio, and the news came across the wire RE: Len Bias. I was completely stunned.