Legit escrow service?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Souders, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm trying to buy a cell phone off ebay and many auctions have been canceled by Ebay presumably due to fraud. A fellow supposedly in Ohio seperately contacted me to sell me the phone. He wants to use an escrow service...

escrow service

Anybody know if this place is legit? If it is, any other things to be concerned about or ways I can get scammed?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

The ONLY Escrow service I would touch with a 10 foot pole is 1) an escrow that I choose not the seller and 2) www.escrow.com

PERIOD.

I can almost guarantee you that the site this guy is pointing you to is NOT LEGIT. They can make these sites look good but in the end they can shut up shop and move the site local in minutes after your money is gone.

Why are you trying to buy a cell phone off of Ebay? Avoiding a contract or replacement phone? If its for new service you can get a new phone (really nice ones) for $50 or less and free with a contract.

KyleS

3. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to get the SonyEriccson P900 which is not sold many places in the US, and certainly not directly by any carrier. It's $700 plus, and ebay seems to have a few here and there...I've got Tmobile already and also need an unlocked phone to work with them.

Chris

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Like I said offer the guy to use Escrow.com and make sure the spelling is the same as what I have. If he refuses ask Why. There isnt more then a 1-2% difference in what the Escrow companies charge and that would only be less then 10 dollars to him or even you since you are the buyer.

KyleS

5. Kevin Golding

Kevin Golding Stunt Coordinator

That domain name was registered 12/7/2003 for only 1 year, and uses yahoo.com as a nameserver. A 10 foot pole would be too short [​IMG]