What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2) (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The title of last night's episode was Camelot/3000. Done just to remind folk of the limited series.

It was surprising that the team actually won for a moment. Unfortunately, it appears they did not remove Rip Hunter's access privileges.

"Ah, finally I get to fulfill my destiny" was a great line.

Last edited:

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Very disappointed with the way they are using the JSA(Really its the All-Star Squadron).
Killing off HOURMAN and Dr. MID-NITE. :angry:
This Flummery with STARGIRL. :rolleyes:

Hopefully at the end of the season, these characters are restored back to life and returned to their proper time frame.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Very disappointed with the way they are using the JSA(Really its the All-Star Squadron).
Killing off HOURMAN and Dr. MID-NITE. :angry:
This Flummery with STARGIRL. :rolleyes:

Hopefully at the end of the season, these characters are restored back to life and returned to their proper time frame.
Given that the spear of destiny can rewrite reality, anything is possible. I really do hope the JSA is restored properly.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show is consistently my favorite of the DC CW shows this season.

I continue to be frustrated by the decision to move it after "The Flash" on Tuesdays, though, instead of kicking off Thursdays. I don't get to the episodes until the end of the night on Tuesday, and usually end up falling asleep halfway through and then have to rewatch on Wednesday.

I really enjoyed getting to revisit the months Ray spent living in the cretaceous period. I still think it's a mistake to have a romantic subplot on this show, when the first season worked so well without it. That being said, Nate and Amaya have a lot more going for them than Ray and Kendra did:
  1. Nate makes a much better romantic lead than Ray does, because he's far less emotionally needy than Ray is.
  2. Maisie Richardson-Sellers is a MUCH better actress than Ciara Renée was. Zano has a real partner to play off of, in a way that Routh didn't last season. It also helps that Amaya is a MUCH better character than Kendra was.
  3. The obstacle between Nate and Amaya has some real weight before it, unlike the half-baked mythological bullshit that was Hawkman/Hawkgirl. Because we met Mari McCabe on "Arrow" (and because she has her own animated Arrowverse series on CW Seed), the need for her to exist is grounded in the audience's history with this world, and not a purely expository extrapolation.
  4. It's not a love triangle. Nobody's put out because their the third wheel on this bicycle, which means we don't get the angsty nonsense that too often plagues the other shows.
Once can quibble about the quality of the visual effects, but any episode that gives us a T-Rex and our heroes fighting their evil doppelgangers is a damn cool episode.

Mick continues to be the completely awesome MVP of this show.

I can't seem to find confirmation either way, but I hope the Gideon made flesh we saw in Rip's mind prison version of the Waverider was played by Amy Pemberton. After the better part of two seasons as a series regular, she deserves to be seen and not just heard.

Sara's bisexuality was always a major part of her character on "Arrow", but since she's made the jump to this show she's exclusively been with women. So I was very gratified at that line of dialogue that confirmed her bisexuality. I do enjoy that she's basically a female Captain Kirk, bedding someone at just about every stop they make in time and space.

It'll be interesting to see how they navigate Rip and Sara both seeing themselves as captain. Rip has the better resume, but Sara's been so much more fun in that role.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I believe the CW moved this show after The Flash to shore up its ratings. They were falling after a strong start last season, and they're looking at the long haul. Now that they've stabilized, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it move back to Thursday next season and let another show get the benefit of The Flash's strong lead-in.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Yes, another great episode. I am glad they stumbled into a way into restoring Rip. It was nice that Mick had the spark on information that did the trick.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Another JSA sacrifice play.

Why was Mick in mission control? There seemed to be no reason for that.

I was wondering why they had the next episode preview before the end credits and then they had to do the Day-O again during them. That was a humorous bit.

I am not going to write about the legion of inaccuracies in the plot of the episode - some really painful things that no scientific script adviser would let through.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another JSA sacrifice play.
At least Commander Steel got a heroic death. Hourman and Dr. Mid-Nite got knocked off with little fanfare.

Given the conundrum with Amaya and the escalating body count among the JSA, I'm more confident than ever that the Spear of Destiny will be used to restore the team to its original, pre-Eobard Thawne course. Hopefully in a manner that keeps Amaya on the Waverider.

One of the reasons I'd really like them to bring Matt Ryan's live-action Constantine to The CW in a more permanent way is because Doctor Fate and the Spectre are tied to that franchise. It'd be nice to put the whole classic lineup together.

Why was Mick in mission control? There seemed to be no reason for that.
To harmonize on Stein's excellent rendition of "Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)", apparently.

I am not going to write about the legion of inaccuracies in the plot of the episode - some really painful things that no scientific script adviser would let through.
Not to mention the entire narrative of the Apollo 13 mission being completely re-written as a result of the meddling. It was all worth it, though, for the look on Ray's face when he stepped foot onto the moon. Brandon Routh really sold the hell out of that moment.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought it was one of the best episodes this year. Yes, there's plenty you could pick apart, but it was a heck of a lot of fun.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Another episode that was terrific fun. I really enjoyed the setting, and so what if they mixed up the history a bit - this isn't a documentary. The show is part Time Tunnel, which is a type of program that's been missing for a long time.

I also hope this gets resolved with Amaya staying on board. She's been delightful this season, and the show is better with her in it. (Who's to say Nate isn't the father of her daughter? Who's to say he returns to 2016?)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I found that episode to be ... lacking. Except for Victor Garber singing the Banama Man song, which was great!

Why does Thawn lose super speed in 0g? He should have still been able to speed cut through Raymond. Completely random scenario.

But before that: why did Ray bother going to Apollo 13? The Waverider could have landed on the moon, gotten the spear fragment, and been gone with no one the wiser and no danger from Thawn.

Why wasn't the crew ready and armed to take out Thawn the moment he was back in Earth gravity? They have their foe in a compromised position. And they waste it?

I didn't get this episode at all.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I haven't finished tonight's episode (just a little over halfway through). When Amaya tells them they are making a huge mistake in not using the spear, I agree. The Legion of Doom has messed with time. Use the spear to set things right again!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I enjoyed the episode for the most part. The callbacks to LOTR were terrific ("One does not simply walk into ...").

BUT, I was again extremely frustrated with them forgetting (AGAIN) that they are on a time ship. Why, oh why do they attempt to retrieve the blood in the middle of a war? Go back a few years and just stroll to the location.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked that when everybody else was treating Mick like shit, Amaya was going through a similar struggle and empathized with him. If she really is one season and done, it'll be a big loss for the show.
Two episodes left to "put right what once went wrong"
Liked for the A+ "Quantum Leap" reference.

BUT, I was again extremely frustrated with them forgetting (AGAIN) that they are on a time ship. Why, oh why do they attempt to retrieve the blood in the middle of a war? Go back a few years and just stroll to the location.
Or, when the Legion of Doom beat them to the spear pieces, why not jump back to shortly before the Legion stole them? When you have two groups of time travelers, things get very messy.

Even the lower third telling us that the show had jumped back to "72 Hours Earlier" is ultimately meaningless when time isn't linear. There really isn't a good vocabulary for differentiating the characters' experience of time from objective time.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
For that matter, why not first talk to Tolkien when he is a professor. I didn't think there was any obvious reason at first to find him in wartime. Do the research in peace time.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the episode for the most part. The callbacks to LOTR were terrific ("One does not simply walk into ...")
Some of the other references that I noted:
"My fellow travelers ..." "Fellowship, if you will."
"Fool of a Tolkien!"
"a secret only fire can tell"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks