What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the latest episode, although the show kinda falls apart if you think about it too much.

I did groan when Ray said Reagan was one of his three favorite presidents. It seemed out of character.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
That was a fun mostly standalone episode. I was glad that the problem did not seem to be part of Thawne's plotting. We have the seeds for new Atom suit,

I thought that it took much too little time to make the Steel suit, but maybe Gideon really can put such together that quickly for Ray.

And next time will the be concluding part of the 4-show crossover.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I don't think its a big stretch to guess that the woman Stein sees during his headaches is going to be his daughter that he never had. The result of ether his contact with his younger self or Flashpoint. He told his younger self not to take his wife for granted, so sex right?

This show is so much improved over last season it has become my favorite DC show.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm not a fan of Jonah Hex: that weird skin bridge across his mouth is anatomically nonsensical and bugs me constantly :)

Rory remains interesting and I think I like the addition and the JSA woman; she's an interesting complement to him.

The show has taken a step back from the conclusion of season 1, returning to its silliness of the start of season 1, rather than continuing the greater drama and emotional tones of the end of season 1.

I'm also fuzzy as to whether the timeline is in complete disarray from the various intrusions, or if they're fixing everything. Though I guess that's not especially important for this show.

I kinda wish that Flash wasn't also completely invested in time travel: it's a lot of time travel stories for the DC TV universe.

Regardless, it's a fun, goofy show with enjoyable characters. I appreciate they're evolving the characters and their interactions. I like Ray's struggle with his identify as a "hero" without a suit. I like him trying to be badass to partner with Rory; and trying to mentor Steel (whose name escapes me now that I need it).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed this episode. It's fun when they can create a whole little world for 42 minutes.

Jonah Hex is back, as we see his Arch Foe Quentin Turnbull for 1st time, played by Jeff Fahey.
They change the origin of Hex. The show says a Church fire started by Turnbull burned his face.
My guess is that the whole "cursed by the savage Apache Indians" thing was something that the writers didn't want to touch with a 40-foot poll. Especially given that this version of Jonah Hex is a very occasional recurring character, I can see the benefit in simplifying his origin.

That was a fun mostly standalone episode. I was glad that the problem did not seem to be part of Thawne's plotting. We have the seeds for new Atom suit,
I agree. Part of the problem with the first season is that every episode was discovering Vandal Savage's latest scheme, stopping it but failing to stop him. I like that this season switches it up between the Legion of Doom's machinations and wayward time travels who accidentally muck up history.

I thought that it took much too little time to make the Steel suit, but maybe Gideon really can put such together that quickly for Ray.

And next time will the be concluding part of the 4-show crossover.
This is where being part of a shared universe has its constraints. Clearly, they wanted the Atom and Citizen Steel suited up for the four-way crossover. And since the show is off the air next week for Thanksgiving, they had to cram it all into this episode.

I don't think its a big stretch to guess that the woman Stein sees during his headaches is going to be his daughter that he never had. The result of ether his contact with his younger self or Flashpoint. He told his younger self not to take his wife for granted, so sex right?
This is what I'm hoping for as well. Stein's love for Clarissa is one of his most ennobling qualities. I'd hate to think that he's been retroactively made unfaithful.

On the other hand, this is the first time we've gotten some confirmation that the impacts of the Legends' interference in the timeline has the same ramifications as speedsters' ramifications in the timeline. Barry had identical symptoms of temporal dissonance as a result of Flashpoint.

Rory remains interesting and I think I like the addition and the JSA woman; she's an interesting complement to him.
I agree completely. Removing Captain Cold from the equations has really allowed Mick to come into his own. He usually has the best lines, and his internal struggle is fertile stuff.

Maisie Richardson-Sellers is a much better actress than Ciara Renée was, and Amaya is a much better character than Hawkgirl was. It's interesting to see the proverbial straight arrow evolve as a result of working with this rowdy band of misfits. Especially with Mick, who she shares an attraction with despite him being as far from a straight arrow as you can get and still be on the team.

The show has taken a step back from the conclusion of season 1, returning to its silliness of the start of season 1, rather than continuing the greater drama and emotional tones of the end of season 1.
To a certain extent, that's to the show's benefit. The whole enterprise falls apart if you think about it too much, a consequence of the Arrowverse's nonsensical and often self-contradictory model of time travel. Where the show excels is leaning into its generally terrific roster of actors and colorful cast of characters. Toward that end, Sara makes a much better captain than Rip did; she's an effective strategist and tactician, but she's also as deeply flawed and roguish as the rest of the gang.

I'm also fuzzy as to whether the timeline is in complete disarray from the various intrusions, or if they're fixing everything. Though I guess that's not especially important for this show.
It's all a mess, but the general thrust seems to be that "time wants to happen" so big changes cause damage that the Waverider can detect. When the Legends put a stop to the inciting incident that triggered the damage, the broader flow of time resumes its original course.

On the other hand, for small localized changes, the "broken coffee cup" theory seems to apply. As the Jay Garrick Flash explained to the Barry Allen Flash:

There has been some evidence that the sort of time travel that speedsters do is more damaging than the sort of time travel that the Legends do in the Waverider. If the "broken coffee cup" theory only applies to speedsters, it could be that the time aberration that the Reverse Flash created by getting Darhk a job in the Reagan White House is to blame for Stein's temporal dissonance, since Stein's course was changed before the Legends even showed up.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Visiting a different era every week is very reminiscent of the Time Tunnel. Any reference to the Time Tunnel is a good thing.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, this is the first time we've gotten some confirmation that the impacts of the Legends' interference in the timeline has the same ramifications as speedsters' ramifications in the timeline. Barry had identical symptoms of temporal dissonance as a result of Flashpoint.

Except Barry was forgetting his previous life to the point he wouldn't know anything had changed. Stein is remembering things. There was nothing that showed Stein forgetting his previous life. Of course we don't know much about Stein's previous life.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Trailer for the four-series crossover event that starts in the final act of Monday's new episode of "Supergirl":

...and the "Legends of Tomorrow" poster for the crossover event (I love that Sara's front and center!):
LegendsOfTomorrow_S02_004.jpg

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I hope one of the reveals during the crossover is where Rip Hunter is. However they may save that for next week's episode as that is the fall finale.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Definite nice Legends appearances in The Flash. I hope to see a good portion of them tonight in Arrow. There is no need to see Supergirl unless you already follow the show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If the middle chapter was 90 percent "Arrow" and 10 percent crossover, tonight's "Legends of Tomorrow" was 10 percent "Legends of Tomorrow" and 90 percent crossover. Hell, after Sara headed back to the Waverider, the last five minutes or so didn't have any "Legends of Tomorrow" characters at all.

Again, it's strange how story threads that have played out over multiple episodes in one show payoff in another. Cisco finding his way to forgiving Barry is a big moment, and I'm surprised they wen there in a "Legends" episode instead of a "Flash" episode.

I loved the little tip of the hat to Brandon Routh's tenure as Superman.

It was nice to see that little moment of intimacy between Oliver and Sara at the end. In "Arrow", Sara was quite explicitly bisexual and here relationships with Oliver and Nyssa carried equal weight in different ways. Since being spun off to "Legends", though, they've tried to box her into being a lesbian, which sort of ignores a whole side to her character.

I'm still hoping that the next big crossover event will be a Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline that will bring "Supergirl" and the National City of Earth-38 into Earth-1. But in the meantime, I'm glad that Cisco whipped up a device that makes crossovers between Earth-1 and Earth-38 easier. And I'm glad the show was attuned to the differences, like Lynda Carter being president on Earth-38 but Jerry Wasserman (and now Lucia Walters) being president on Earth-1. Picking a high number like 38 was also probably a smart move, since the earths close to one another all have doppelgangers. Presumably, once you get 38 iterations out, the differences are great enough that you don't have any overlap.

Hopefully "Legends of Tomorrow" sees the ratings boost that the other three shows did.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was a decent wrap up to the invader storyline, but there seemed to be some shortcuts to help the plot move forward quickly (those pain inducers for the aliens got manufactured awfully quickly). The emotional payoffs especially with Cisco and Barry were satisfying.

I thought Oliver's mistrust of Supergirl was ill explained and pretty lame.

I missed the nod to Routh's Superman, but it deserves not to be forgotten. He was the best thing about Superman Returns.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the crossover but the finale really seemed like an episode of The Flash with its focus on Barry and Cisco. Budget and or time restraints really showed causing poor story choices with Speedy being dropped off in Star City so she didn't appear and Ollie telling Supergirl that he didn't want her in the final fight. Must have been done to save on special effects not to have Supergirl in the fight. Hopefully we will be back to having happy Cisco now that he screwed up the timeline himself saving the alien in 1951.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Nice finale. I'm glad that Cisco personally saw the result of good intentions in time travel and so he has reconciled himself with Barry.

I was disappointed that there was no scene between Barry and the Legends talking about Reverse Flash. Maybe they will have that conversation in the next episode or relate that it was discussed off screen.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Nice finale. I'm glad that Cisco personally saw the result of good intentions in time travel and so he has reconciled himself with Barry.

I was disappointed that there was no scene between Barry and the Legends talking about Reverse Flash. Maybe they will have that conversation in the next episode or relate that it was discussed off screen.

I don't think the Legends know who the speedster is yet. Not sure what they have to discuss with Barry other than there is this speedster. Barry certainly has met plenty of speedsters. Since they know they are dealing with Damien Darhk and a speedster, perhaps they would ask Ollie for help since Ollie killed him. If Ollie didn't have his own show they probably would ask him to come with them.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The last installment was the best. So many really good character moments, nice interaction, and great action sequences. Some funny easter eggs too. That scene where Firestorm was altering the bomb had great special effects and real emotion. They brought it all.

Huge cheers to the teams that pulled this off. Hope to see it again next year.

I also like that the new president looked like Michelle Obama.

Last edited:

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the Legends know who the speedster is yet. Not sure what they have to discuss with Barry other than there is this speedster. Barry certainly has met plenty of speedsters. Since they know they are dealing with Damien Darhk and a speedster, perhaps they would ask Ollie for help since Ollie killed him. If Ollie didn't have his own show they probably would ask him to come with them.
If they told him that they were dealing with a rogue speedster traveling in time, then maybe the penny would drop for Barry on who it is. Or he might have some helpful suggestions.

As far as Darhk, they know that he is from earlier in Darhk's timeline that when Oliver met him, so it would be very dangerous for Ollie to encounter him.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It certainly provided a ratings kick for all four shows in the CW franchise, so I'm sure the network will do another one next year.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
One big plot hole in the half-season finale is they forgot that Jefferson and Stein share things. He should know right away what Stein was going through and whether it was him coming onto the ship. They shouldn't have had to give away the amulet to save him.

At least we know where Rip Hunter is.

We also now know that Thawne's goal is. I am guessing that the object he is looking for is going to be used in the end to reset all the damage he makes to the timeline this season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks