What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the latest episode. Feudal Japan is a great place to set an episode. Be interesting to see what they do with Palmer without a suit now. I guess Vixen's along for the ride, but when and why did Rip take off? Is he not a series regular anymore?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Wait. Why the heck did zombie Rory not eat, or even bite Ray? He knocks him out and then, what, walks away? Only to try to eat Stein when when he's on top of him.

I generally enjoy this show, but jeeze was that some terribly sloppy TV right there.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The zombie stuff was kinda dumb; obviously just using the popular element from another popular show.

Where this episode excelled was the use of Jefferson and being exposed to the slave experience. Those scenes had delicate writing, good acting and a real emotional resonance.

But I'm very tired of the zombie thing.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, the slavery stuff was done pretty well. But the thing with Rory was handled so poorly that it really killed the episode for me. I had thought that maybe they would acknowledge it offering some kind of explanation for why he didn't even bite Palmer (let alone eat him) before the end, but nothing.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Another thing that has kinda bugged me is that Ray hasn't acknowledged that he can just build another ATOM suit. Sure he can't do it overnight. But he has the knowledge of how to build it, so it's just a matter of acquiring the appropriate materials.

It feels like a forced way to have the character struggle with whether he has anything to offer without the suit because if you acknowledge that he is in the process of building a new one then it's not as "dramatic".

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Another thing that has kinda bugged me is that Ray hasn't acknowledged that he can just build another ATOM suit. Sure he can't do it overnight. But he has the knowledge of how to build it, so it's just a matter of acquiring the appropriate materials.

It feels like a forced way to have the character struggle with whether he has anything to offer without the suit because if you acknowledge that he is in the process of building a new one then it's not as "dramatic".
I agree.
They're in a time ship. Zoom to 2200, pop into a Radio Shack, grab some doodads, and, voila, new suit

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked that they acknowledged some of the brutalities of slavery, and that Jax and Amaya got a subplot where their blackness was allowed to be part of the story. While I know she spent most of her life protecting her village along the Zambezi in Africa, given that we met Amaya in 1940s America I'm a little surprised at how surprised she was by the racism in 1863. Granted, 1942 New York City was a lot better than 1863 Mississippi, but I still think she would have been more prepared for what was coming.

The subplot in the Union camp was less successful, mainly because -- as with Albert Einstein -- they had a very simplistic portrayal of a complex historical figure. Except for the beard, John Churchill didn't seem at all like Ulysses S. Grant.
This hasn't been adequately addressed within the show, but in interviews Marc Guggenheim has said that the reason Ray can't build another suit is that he doesn't have any more of the ultra-rare dwarf star alloy.

I actually liked Ray better without the Atom suit; it forced the writers to write him smart again, which really hasn't been the case since his first few episodes on "Arrow".

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I liked that they acknowledged some of the brutalities of slavery, and that Jax and Amaya got a subplot where their blackness was allowed to be part of the story. While I know she spent most of her life protecting her village along the Zambezi in Africa, given that we met Amaya in 1940s America I'm a little surprised at how surprised she was by the racism in 1863. Granted, 1942 New York City was a lot better than 1863 Mississippi, but I still think she would have been more prepared for what was coming.

The subplot in the Union camp was less successful, mainly because -- as with Albert Einstein -- they had a very simplistic portrayal of a complex historical figure. Except for the beard, John Churchill didn't seem at all like Ulysses S. Grant.

This hasn't been adequately addressed within the show, but in interviews Marc Guggenheim has said that the reason Ray can't build another suit is that he doesn't have any more of the ultra-rare dwarf star alloy.

I actually liked Ray better without the Atom suit; it forced the writers to write him smart again, which really hasn't been the case since his first few episodes on "Arrow".

The thing about the Dwarf Star alloy, what really is its significance supposed to be? I don't remember the significance. Does it power the suit, like Stark's arc reactor? Or are they just waving their hand at the power requirements for such a suit, but then saying saying that it needs to be super strong to be worth anything?Does the Dwart Star alloy really make the suit indestructible or something? Because that indestructible suit seems to get broken all the time anyway.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The thing about the Dwarf Star alloy, what really is its significance supposed to be? I don't remember the significance. Does it power the suit, like Stark's arc reactor? Or are they just waving their hand at the power requirements for such a suit, but then saying saying that it needs to be super strong to be worth anything?Does the Dwart Star alloy really make the suit indestructible or something? Because that indestructible suit seems to get broken all the time anyway.
I think the dwarf star alloy is what's supposed to allow the suit (and its wearer) to shrink.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think the dwarf star alloy is what's supposed to allow the suit (and its wearer) to shrink.

Hmm. Okay. That does jog my memory about that a bit. Though he doesn't really seem to use his shrinking in combat the way Ant-Man does. The shrinking seems to mostly have been used for stealth. If that's the case, then he should build another one without it and forget about skinking since he can still fly around in an armored suit that shoots lasers.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Easter Egg: Did anyone else besides me, seem to see the helmet of Dr. Fate on one of the shelves in the Waverider?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another frustrating one for me. The show's complete disregard for consequences continues to grate at me. You don't have an epic fight in the White House and then have a major summit between the world's two superpowers just continue as if nothing had happened.

On the other hand, I continue to enjoy the group dynamic with the current iteration of the team, and it was nice to get more insight into Amaya and the Justice Society of America.

Getting Lance Henriksen to play Obsidian circa 1987 was another casting coup, in television universe that has done very well nabbing top-shelf genre talent. It's incredible how much Henriksen's aged since "Millennium" -- though he wasn't exactly the picture of youth then, either. It was fun seeing an aged superhero still hold his own, kind of like Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight Returns or "Batman Beyond". He was also one of DC's first gay superheroes, and how they handled that here I thought was very well done. First, the hint that he was spared from the mission that wiped out the rest of the JSA because the government in the 1950s distrusted him as a result of his sexuality was a nice tip of the hat to the comics, in which persecution from the House Un-American Activities Committee led to the team's disbandment. And then later Henriksen does a great job of selling the years of loneliness as the remaining survivor, and his happiness and contentment when he finally found his partner. And having found that happiness, he urges Amaya to do the same, giving her permission to let down some of the boundaries that she was maintaining.

Easter Egg: Did anyone else besides me, seem to see the helmet of Dr. Fate on one of the shelves in the Waverider?
No, but very cool! I wonder if they used the same prop as "Constantine", since both shows are in the Arrowverse. Dr. Fate is definitely the most conspicuous missing member of the original JSA lineup since:
  • The Jay Garrick Flash is circa-2016 on Earth-3
  • The Alan Scott Green Lantern is probably off-limits to the show since Warner Bros. wants to relaunch Green Lantern as a film franchise.
  • Jim Corrigan already appeared on "Constantine" circa 2014. (In other news, I'd love for Emmett Scanlan to reprise the character on this show)
  • They probably don't want to confuse audiences with the Al Pratt version of the Atom when the Ray Palmer version of the Atom is a main character.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott

No but I did see MA HUNKLE's Red Tornado Helmet sitting beside another helmet that may or may not be S.T.R.I.P.E.S.
In the comics Stripes is Pat Dugen sidekick to the Star-Sprangled Kid and later Step-Father of Star Girl.

Why is Eobard Thawne running around without his custom?
Reserve-Flash looks so much cooler in his uniform.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
No but I did see MA HUNKLE's Red Tornado Helmet sitting beside another helmet that may or may not be S.T.R.I.P.E.S.
In the comics Stripes is Pat Dugen sidekick to the Star-Sprangled Kid and later Step-Father of Star Girl.

Why is Eobard Thawne running around without his custom?
Reserve-Flash looks so much cooler in his uniform.
Yeah, I saw that Ma Hunkel helmet last year, but this is the first time I saw the Dr. Fate helmet. At least it looked VERY MUCH like his helmet.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Another frustrating one for me. The show's complete disregard for consequences continues to grate at me. You don't have an epic fight in the White House and then have a major summit between the world's two superpowers just continue as if nothing had happened.

On the other hand, I continue to enjoy the group dynamic with the current iteration of the team, and it was nice to get more insight into Amaya and the Justice Society of America.

Getting Lance Henriksen to play Obsidian circa 1987 was another casting coup, in television universe that has done very well nabbing top-shelf genre talent. It's incredible how much Henriksen's aged since "Millennium" -- though he wasn't exactly the picture of youth then, either. It was fun seeing an aged superhero still hold his own, kind of like Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight Returns or "Batman Beyond". He was also one of DC's first gay superheroes, and how they handled that here I thought was very well done. First, the hint that he was spared from the mission that wiped out the rest of the JSA because the government in the 1950s distrusted him as a result of his sexuality was a nice tip of the hat to the comics, in which persecution from the House Un-American Activities Committee led to the team's disbandment. And then later Henriksen does a great job of selling the years of loneliness as the remaining survivor, and his happiness and contentment when he finally found his partner. And having found that happiness, he urges Amaya to do the same, giving her permission to let down some of the boundaries that she was maintaining.

No, but very cool! I wonder if they used the same prop as "Constantine", since both shows are in the Arrowverse. Dr. Fate is definitely the most conspicuous missing member of the original JSA lineup since:
  • The Jay Garrick Flash is circa-2016 on Earth-3
  • The Alan Scott Green Lantern is probably off-limits to the show since Warner Bros. wants to relaunch Green Lantern as a film franchise.
  • Jim Corrigan already appeared on "Constantine" circa 2014. (In other news, I'd love for Emmett Scanlan to reprise the character on this show)
  • They probably don't want to confuse audiences with the Al Pratt version of the Atom when the Ray Palmer version of the Atom is a main character.
I hate how they teased The Sandman last year as a member of the JSA, then totally forgot about him. He is one of my favorite JSA members along with Alan Scott.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
One last bit of speculation. If I was correct and that WAS Dr. Fate's helmet aboard the Waverider, then is there a tie in with the Amulet the Nazis wanted? The Amulet of Anubis?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Knowing that a time traveler has been helping Damien Darhk and has been changing history, why did Sara taunt him? That will only get him to try to change his future even more? Or is that the point?

With Darhk traveling around with Thawne (and probably more villains will join later in the season) I have no idea how the timeline is going to stabilize. Everything we've seen in the past couple of seasons on all those shows could be undone by the time they are through. It's fun, but this is frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks