Legends Of The Fall - SE vs. Superbit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Glenn, Mar 4, 2003.

1. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

I've very tempted to purchase Legends of the Fall SE at Deepdiscountdvd for $8.89 shipped. I'd really like to have the extras but I'm wondering how much better the A/V is on the superbit.

How was the A/V on the SE?

Has anyone done a comparison?

Thanks in advance for your response.

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

The A/V is slightly better, but definitely not a great deal better. Print flaws in a few scenes - a few surprisingly noticable - still make the picture quality on the Superbit release suffer.

The SE, which is now certainly reasonably priced, offers a much better value. The supplements - 2 commentary tracks and a few other features - are very good.

3. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Just scanned through the SB and honestly must say that it's not "that" much of an improvement in pq! Was kinda surprised as most SB's to me are very noticeable. This one however is subtle but there is an improvement! A little more detail in wideshots and closeups have a little more detail, but that's about it!

As far as the audio, maybe the DTS has a subtle difference but very close!

Must say that though it is an improvement, I was expecting more from the Superbit line!

David

4. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

Aaron & David:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

For less than half the price, plus some good extras, I decided to go with the SE. Normally I would go for the superbit, but as you both mentioned, there are only slight improvements in PQ and AQ.

I've also recently read a review at dvdtalk which pretty much confirms what you both have said:

"As for the DVD edition, I'll still recommend the Special Edition DVD over this new Superbit edition. The Superbit edition doesn't offer much in the way of improvements in terms of audio/video and the supplements on the Special Edition are terrific. In addition, the Special Edition has recently been repriced and can be found in most stores for about half the price of this new Superbit release." - Aaron Beierle, DVDTalk.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=5728

5. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

double post

6. David Coleman

7. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

go for the SE.

The SB is VERY disappointing.
    The first half is very dirty, and very soft.
    2nd half is ok.

sound ain't a revelation.

go SE if you want extras.

8. David Coleman

Ok, just got done watching this disc all the way through! Here's my impressions while fresh on my mind!

Bottom line there is improvement in the picture quality though it varies by scene. I have seen my SE so many times and know it so well cause I love this film so I think I can make an honest opinion of the differences.

The Superbits i've seen when they compare to the originals (Vertical Limit, Mask of Zorro) I immediately noticed the picture quality. With LEGENDS I kinda had to look for it! To me the scenes with the most significant picture improvement are the interiors. Lot's more detail than you'd see in the SE and just a lot smoother looking too! In the exterior shots the improvement is not as significant.

Now one must understand that this film is softly lit and very diffused. Detail is gonna be lesser in those scenes and it was in the SB presentation. Very difficult to discern any differences in those scenes, however if you look closely enough there are. To me the landscapes shots look definitely more detailed and close ups show a little improvement.

Video-wise there is definitely improvement but it's kinda on a scene by scene basis! I do however think that it could have been improved if CTS had decided to re-telecine the HD master with a better print. However they elected to base the SB of a telecine from 97'. There's been worlds of improvement since then I'm sure!

Audio-wise... I'll give it to the DTS! Not a clear winner but again you'll have to seek out the finer details. Smoother is the term that comes to mind. The DTS doesn't seem as bombastic as the DD can and quite frankly during the battle scenes the DD to me was definitely more intense dynamically, however the DTS was smoother and the inter-channel directionality seemed improved. I heard more detail in segments than I'd heard before! I will say that the DTS seemed to have a little less "top-end" than the DD but I prefer the DTS!

In sum. If you prefer a better presentation audio/video-wise you'd best to go for the SB! The SE has the commentaries and the isolated score so those are definite for me so i'll keep both! The featurettes on the SE don't offer much. So if you're not a fan of commentaries or isolated scores the SB is definitely the way to go!

Hope this is helpful for anyone still deciding on this title!

David