What's new

Legendary DVDs (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Brazil: The Criterion Collection would be high on my list.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terminator 2: Judgement Day--first use of chapter selections with parts of the film playing inside.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wasn't it also the first commercially available RSDL disc? (Release date was 9/24/1998) That would be an even bigger deal.
I was going to bring up Apollo 13 which was released on 2/24/98 but upon further searching I found out that the original release of T2:Judgment Day was actually (according to DVD Profiler at least) 10/21/1997 so it just might be the first RSDL DVD.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Armageddon: Criterion

Back in April 1999, this was the first ever two-disc special edition with an entire disc dedicated to extras.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Ghostbusters for the first non-subtitle use of the subtitle track: the text comemntary (featuring excerpts from Don Shay's book, Making Ghostbusters and the MST3K-style sillhouettes)

Forrest Gump: Special Collector's Edition for the first big Paramount special edition release

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The Tomorrow Never Dies Special Edition uses a subtitle track to show the "007" gun symbol whenever storyboards are available on the alternate angle. Vivid's discs show a "Vivid DVD" logo onscreen via subtitles whenever multi-angles are available, though on the one disc I have from them you can't turn it off!
Animal House was the first re-issued movie I remember- it was first issued in pan and scan then a widescreen "Collector's Edition" was issued. Tomorrow Never Dies was the first reissue to dump the pan and scan version (the first release had both on the same disc) and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory almost became the first dual-format movie later reissued only in pan and scan!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I seem to remember it being creamed in the sales figures by The Matrix. It was a good lesson to Paramount in how not to market DVD.
Selling a million DVDs in 1999 was still nothing to sneeze at, and Titanic was definitely the first to do it, bare bones, non-anamorphic, two years after its theatrical release, and all. The Matrix, released on DVD 3 weeks after Titanic and only 6 months after its theatrical release, was the demographicaly perfect title for DVD.

Paramount could have come out with the DVD earlier, but in terms of other marketing ploys that could achieve 100s of thousands in sales, no one was unaware of the film, and it was not like they could trick anyone by promoting it as more of a male action film.

Regards,

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No one seems to have mentioned it.

Toy Story-The Ultimate Toy Box

For its extensive coverage on the making of CGI films. Also one of the most extensive sets put together, for its time period.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Ultimate Toy Box was really great, but the only reason I did not think of it as groundbreaking was because most of the best extras had previously been created for a laserdisc box set of Toy Story, and A Bugs Life CE had previously exhibited some of the other innovations such as the direct digital transfer. I'm probably not being fair, because it is among the best SE sets ever produced.

Regards,

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I wanted to second Contact. It was my first BIG NEW release DVD, it was a very early dual layer, and it had multiple commentaries and great extras that really showcased the effects work, better than most current "event effects" films do. You can also listen to Jodie Foster throughout the film if you so wish :)

Also:

The first Paramount, Fox, and Disney films. They were a long time coming for the early adopters. DIVX was a real worry once.

Most of the others I would include have been mentioned several times (FOTR:EE, Se7en, etc)

I think Fight Club is special as well. It came out within the normal window for new releases, but came in a much more elaborate set than it's BO success would indicate. Kudos to the fans of the film (including David Prior) for making a great disc out of a BO "flop".

The first TV on DVD. X-Files was probably the first BIG seller, leading to the good glut we have now. I assume The Simpsons is the most popular, and therefore perhaps the flagship (even if it is a trickle).

Take care,
Chuck

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
What about Spider Man? It's currently (according to Video Business magazine) the biggest seller. That is unless you combine the totals from both Fellowship of the Ring releases.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
How about these two:

Saving Private Ryan (DTS): legendary for its amazing DTS track. Still one of the best sounding DVDs out there.

Apollo 13: one of the first really excellent special editions. Two of the all-time best commentary tracks on one disc: Ron Howard and Jim and Marilyn Lovell. Bonus: the entire film score plays through if you leave the main menu up.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Some are confusing Favorites with Legendary. Since when is the Forrest Gump DVD legendary? Or 2001 for that matter. Perhpas highly anticipated, but legendary? hmmm....

DVDs that have been a reference for a long time, even though they may have been surpassed by now:

The Matrix
Fight Club
The Haunting - how many bought this thing just to test their subs?
Saving Private Ryan - was for a long time along with the Haunting, THE DVD to showcase DTS with.
The Wonka debacle certainly made that release legendary.

--
Holadem

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
The Haunting - how many bought this thing just to test their subs?
Lemme guess — 80% of the owners have bought it to test their subs; 19% bought it to see if their houses can handle the sub and 1% actually liked the movie? :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Douglas, that's not quite what happened. Artist Fredrick Hart claimed the sculpture in Milton's penthouse was plagiarized from one of his. He sued and Warner's settlement removed the sculpture from most of the movie. Early DVDs just had a note in the credits that any resemblance to any real works of art waas purely coincedental, but later versions CGed the sculpture into a different one.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
-Tron
-Brazil Criterion
-Fear & Loathing In La Vegas Criterion
-Little Shop Of Horrors (Recalled version)
-Legend
-Fight Club 2 Disc version
-Led Zeppelin How The West Was Won
-Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition
-Dances With Wolves Extended Version
-Toy Story Box
-LOTR Trilogy

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
  • Brazil: The Criterion Collection - Criterion defined how a great film should be treasured on DVD from extras to packaging. This set is what made me stop looking at DVD players and forced me to buy one.
  • Toy Story - Ultimate Toy Box - Brazil's equal in total package.
  • The Kubrick Collection - The Greatest Collection of films ever assembled. :)
  • The Godfather Collection - The films are so great and were so anticipated, that the set is legendary.
  • Fellowship of the Ring: EE - Superb and the studio even made consumers aware of the upcoming edition...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks