Legend (Ultimate Edition): Worth a Blind Purchase???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshB, Jul 8, 2002.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I have been considering for some time about whether or not to buy Ridley Scott's director's cut version of Legend. I have heard many positive things about the DVD, he extras, transfer, etc. I am wondering how the movie is. I have never seen it, but I am a big fan of Scott's work, and have heard that this is among his best. So any opinions would be great, such as the replay value, is the movie entertaining or anything like that. Any comments about the DVD itself would be great.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Do you like fantasy stories? Goblins, monsters, fairies, demons, sword & sorcery, etc? If so, it's a must buy. If not, you won't like it.

3. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Check out the dozens of reviews around the net. You should get a pretty good idea about the film after doing some quick research.

4. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Yes, cos you can marvel at the quality of a British production [​IMG] As others have said, if you like fantasy, goblins etcetc then it's worth a purchase.

5. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I've always liked Legend, but to be honest, the American version isn't all that great. However, I always believed there was the intention of a good movie in there, and the director's cut is really a revelation. It's still not a "great" film, but it is, at last, a really good one, and certainly a more complete one.
    If nothing else, the DVD is worth getting for Ridley Scott's beautiful widescreen compositions, and a terrific Jerry Goldsmith score. Also, between the two versions of the movie, the documentary, the lost scenes, and everything else, you get a really fascinating study in what all goes into making a movie like this, and how much of a movie's tone and intent can change during post-production.
    Sorry if that was overly scholarly-sounding [​IMG] I really do like this movie a lot, and this is a fantastic DVD.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'm a big fan of the film, and I would never advise anyone to purchase it blind. It's a love-it-or-hate-it film, and it's hard to predict how any particular person will react.
    Of course, my standard advice is not to do blind purchases unless you're willing to accept the possibility that you may find yourself owning a movie you despise.
    M.

7. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    Why not compromise and rent it first, like I did. I found it to be merely okay, but it is a good special edition and a stunning looking film.

Neil

8. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Great DVD, but the movie itselt is king of ehhh.....

I have seen the Legend:UE at many rental shops around here so you shouldn't have to much trouble finding one to rent. I would definitely NOT recommend a sight unseen purchase.

9. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I watched the director's cut and it actually made sense. I never like the film before, but with the new soundtrack and the added material I actually liked it.
    Tom Cruise is OK but Tim Curry is so over the top he cracks me up.

Now if they'ld only start putting a little pocket to stick the booklet into...

10. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

11. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I rented it from BB having never seen the film. I watched the Director's Cut and was blown away by the beauty of the cinematography and artistic direction. The script is a bit muddled and silly, but the film is definitely worth watching for the visuals alone. If you like Fantasy, then give it a shot. It's not all that expensive and I guarantee that you'll be impressed with the visuals. I wouldn't watch the US version first, tho. Ugh.