What's new

Legend: Ultimate Edition review up at DVDFile! (1 Viewer)

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Its a bit worrying to read this about the theatrical cut:
While colors are still strong, this transfer is much more noisy and flat-looking than the Director's Cut.....Blacks often look gray, detail is lacking, and compression artifacts are far more noticeable.
I know its not Scott's preferred cut but it's a shame both versions could not have been presented equally and it makes me wonder if this is how Universal are going to handle the E.T. release. Legend is still a must buy for me though.
Richard

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to watch the D.C. but I also LOVE the Tangerine Dream score. A different movie it makes...perhaps one that does not represent Scott's true vision...but wonderful music all the same!
I wanted 5.1 DD/DTS Tangerine Dream :frowning:
Agreed...it makes me nervous about E.T.!!! I can see it now...the new SE gets 5.1 DD and DTS...while the "original" cut without the CRAPPY and DISTRACTING CGI effects gets 2.0 DD mastered at 192 kbps with tons of extra crammed on the disc...producing lots of MPEG artfacts necessitaing some more filtering of the image which then leads to softening of the picture which prompts the techs to introduce some EE....
AHHHH!!
dave ;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I would wait until we see it ourselves before we start to complain how unfairly the US cut was treated, DVD File has praised or condemned some transfers in their reviews in the past that I have totally disagreed with (The Book Of The Dead being one of them), so I'll wait & see.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Yep, check the ET DVD thread from a few days ago. This is exactly what I had been saying that I could see Uinversal doing with the Original Version of ET (even before this Legend review hit the internet). Get ready folks, I'm telling you, Universal cuts corners wherever possible, so prepare for the worst with regards to ET.

Regards,

Dan

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm also taking a wait and see approach to this one. I already know I'll be looking for a new cover, but aside from that I'll judge for myself whether there is a problem or not.

todd stone

Screenwriter
From documentarian J.M. Kenny comes Creating A Myth: The Making of Legend, an excellent 51-minute documentary presented in full frame and 2.0 stereo. First up, that spoilsport Tom Cruise opted not to take part in this for whatever reason, but thankfully the doc doesn't suffer because of his reluctance
Geeze, is Tom that big of a star now he can't talk about a film like this? Pffftt
On a side note, I am extremely angry on how long it took to do this DVD and the U.S. version got seconds :frowning:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Hell,
I am happy it is even coming...I can't believe it was in someone's player. This has been on the list for sometime. I'll reserve judgement until I have seen it. As for ET, if the theatrical cut is poor, I won't buy it...ebay still has Laserdiscs.
Take care,
Chuck
Doing the happy dance in 3 weeks;)

Ed Francisco

Stunt Coordinator
After 2 years waiting for this sucker, I don't care what version of it comes out anymore (except for P&S), as long as it gets released on DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gentlemen,

Universal accidently had a delay in our

review copy.

I should have it tomorrow and a review

complete with screenshots will go up Wednesday.

Question...

Which version do you want reviewed? I only

have time to watch one.

Thanks for the help.

Jo_C

Second Unit
In the end, Ronald, There Can Be Only One. May It Be Legend---The Director's Cut.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
I agree with Jo_C (how disconcerting :)). I think more people will be interested in hearing about the DC.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
anyone doing a cover so we can get rid of the UE crappy case?

thanx Randy.

also i vote for the DC for review.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The US cut, just to be different. :)
I too will want a different case. This deserves a double alpha to stand out on the shelf, with the US poster art as the cover.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Don't jump to conclusions re: the original theatrical ET transfer just yet....
It made, lessee...... TONS of dough. Was the #1 B.O. champ.
Legend made..... I mean, LOST dough.
Hmmmm.......
:) D

Jeremiah W

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, check the ET DVD thread from a few days ago. This is exactly what I had been saying that I could see Uinversal doing with the Original Version of ET (even before this Legend review hit the internet). Get ready folks, I'm telling you, Universal cuts corners wherever possible, so prepare for the worst with regards to ET.
I doubt Spielberg will let ET get "screwed" at all, as for Legend it is a shame that both cuts aren't the best they can be

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Ron, my preference is for you to review the director's cut, as (a.) it presumbably has better AV quality than the theatrical version, and (b.) it'd be interesting to get your take on what it meant to be the definitive version of the movie. I'd also enjoy reading your comments about the doco and extras.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks