What's new

Legend SE, Duel SE, It Came From Outer Space & Silent Running arriving on 5/21. (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
There's no way an Australian Special Edition DVD would retail for $19.95, unless Universal are being spectacular generous.
In good news, it appears that the 50-minute 1972 on-set documentary of Silent Running will appear on the release.
It looks like a true "Collector's Edition", instead of the kind of dreck Universal have been piling onto their releases recently.
I have the old Image disc, but I've no qualms in updating this time.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Truck wars - 12:01am

Ah, another Spielberg classic comes to DVD. Universal has just announced a 5/21 release date for Duel, Spielberg's acclaimed telefilm that helped launch his career. Retail is $19.95, and though full specs are not yet available, we did receive the Region 4 release details from DVD Argentina, so expect similar if not the same features on the Region 1 release as well. A new 1.33:1 transfer, Dolby Digital and DTS tracks plus the original mono mix, three new featurettes "Steven Spielberg on Making Duel," "Steven Spielberg and the Small Screen," and "Richard Matheson: The Writing of Duel," and a still gallery.

Also coming from Universal on 5/21 are some sci-fi classics. Up first is a new special edition of Silent Running, featuring a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, the original mono mix, an audio commentary by director Douglas Trumbull and star Bruce Dern, the "Douglas Trumbull: Then And Now" and original featurettes,a still gallery, and trailers. Retail is $19.95. Next up is the classic sci-fi potboiler It Came From Outer Space! Presented in it's original full frame aspect ratio (non-3-D) and mono, extras are slight, with only production notes, filmographies and a trailer. Retail is $19.95. Finally, Region 1 retailers have begun to receive a 5/21 release date from Universal for that Legend Ultimate Edition two-disc set, but Universal PR remains mum on any confirmation. Stay tuned!
The article both opens and closes speaking to the fact that R1 date is 5/21 for these items, that R1 specs are being kept mum, but these are the R4 specs. Does anyone else think I misundertood what this is saying? Or maybe I'm just being thick.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
David

I did not get the impression that the Silent Running specs are for region 4. I thought they mentioned that only for the Duel release.

Duel Collector's Edition is up for pre-order at DVD Empire now for $19.95 retail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks