What's new

Legend SE, Duel SE, It Came From Outer Space & Silent Running arriving on 5/21. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Universal will be releasing all 4 on 5/21 according to their press release.

I knew about Legend & Duel but I'm pleasently surprised to see It Came From Outer Space will be coming. Hopefully Universal will be releasing more of their 50's Sci-Fi films on DVD.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm interested in a new Silent Running. The Image disc was good, but this is a classic, which I hope is getting a proper anamorphic transfer and at least a couple of extras. Hopefully this also means we will see new versions of the rest of the Image releases, most of which were pretty good, but nonanamorphic.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the Silent Running release is also what caught my eye!

Where can we get the specs for this release?

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
ooohh... to sell or not to sell? that is the question for Silent Running. I'd hate to ditch my Image copy only to find out Universal has pulled the plug or something. They're not exactly easy to come by these days.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
~ To sell or not to sell ? Well I have other reasons to not sell my "Silent Running" it is the double feature LD with "Colossus: The Forbin Project"
"This is Colossus The Voice of World Control"
bodymovn :cool:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I too will be contributing to DVD Empire's bottom line as a result of this announcement. Great news!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
O.K., you can ditch your old Silent Running DVDs. Here's the specs for Silent Running & it Came From Outer Space http://dvdfile.com/software/dvd-vide....html#02125002
"Also coming from Universal on 5/21 are some sci-fi classics. Up first is a new special edition of Silent Running, featuring a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, the original mono mix, an audio commentary by director Douglas Trumbull and star Bruce Dern, the "Douglas Trumbull: Then And Now" and original featurettes,a still gallery, and trailers. Retail is $19.95. Next up is the classic sci-fi potboiler It Came From Outer Space! Presented in it's original full frame aspect ratio (non-3-D) and mono, extras are slight, with only production notes, filmographies and a trailer. Retail is $19.95."

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow! Great specs for Silent Running, and great prices for all. Should be able to pre-order these for about $14 at DVD Planet. A big :emoji_thumbsup: for Universal on these titles!!

GregK

Screenwriter
It Came From Outer Space! Presented in it's original full frame aspect ratio (non-3-D) and mono
So let's see.. No 3-D version AT ALL for "It Came From
Outer Space" and mono audio.. when the original stereo
tracks still exist. If this all proves to be true, what a
waste of DVD's potential. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
O.K., you can ditch your old Silent Running DVDs. Here's the specs for Silent Running & it Came From Outer Space http://dvdfile.com/software/dvd-vid...x.html#02125002
"Also coming from Universal on 5/21 are some sci-fi classics. Up first is a new special edition of Silent Running, featuring a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, the original mono mix, an audio commentary by director Douglas Trumbull and star Bruce Dern, the "Douglas Trumbull: Then And Now" and original featurettes,a still gallery, and trailers. Retail is $19.95. Next up is the classic sci-fi potboiler It Came From Outer Space! Presented in it's original full frame aspect ratio (non-3-D) and mono, extras are slight, with only production notes, filmographies and a trailer. Retail is $19.95."
Okay, you failed to mention these are specs for the REGION 4 releases!! :D

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm taking a wait and see on It Came From Outer Space. Since the LaserDisc had the stereo tracks (it was actually 3-channel magnetic: left, center, right with no surround), I really hope that Universal sees fit to include them. Since an anaglyph 3D video version just wouldn't look very good, it's no real loss to leave it off.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
:) Say what? Here is a clip from an R4 review (DVDNET.au)
It just came out there earlier this month:
---
SILENT RUNNING:
----
VIDEO
The box says '4:3 Letterbox' which is an oxymoron of incredible proportions. It's actually a non-anamorphic transfer which measures out to about 1.85:1 (not stated). It is a bit noisier than I'd like but it is a colourful, reasonably sharp print. Damage is very limited and the quality is consistent. Blacks look good. The external star backdrops are not as impressive as say 'Star Wars' but it looks reasonable with an acceptable representation of space. The busy interiors of the ships are well served by the transfer with the intricate details easy to discern. This is as about as good as it gets for a non-anamorphic print of this age. The disc is single layer and not even a full single layer disc (~3.5Gb from memory) so it is compressed a bit too much. Still, I was pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks