Legend Of THe Galactic Heroes on DVD survey

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Peter Rohlfs, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

Found this on Anime on DVD and didn't see a post here:
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes Suvey

It is a survey to see the intrest in bringing one of the greatest animes ever to DVD...

Legend Of The Galactic Heroes.

The thinking man's Space Opera.

Peter

2. Daryl Stovall

Daryl Stovall Second Unit

Count me in. I've been jonesin' for this series since A friend hip me onto it A few years ago.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I'd love to get this series, but not as a $2,000 box set. For me to get this singles or smaller sets would be the way to go. Is this the same survey from a year or two ago or a new one?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

This is new, and the price may change. We're working on it

In Japan it was released in chunks of 25 or 50. Probably the same here

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It's not that I'm not interested, but at $40+US per (as I figure it) 3 or 4 episode disc, this is way beyond my means. I think this will be a tough sell unless the pricing is greatly reduced, and it is sold in much smaller chunks.

Needless to say, I'm not signing up.

6. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

While the price is fortunately not a huge issue for me, I can see it scaring off a ton of people.

I personally want to get this set but there is no way I am going to plunk down $2000 sight unseen.

Hopefully it will be in smaller sets (maybe a box set for each season and then a seperate box set for the movies?) and hopefully the price will drop to a point to where most anime fans will take a chance on what is said to be a wonderful series.

Most of the complaints I have seen from people so far on this focus on three issues, 1) cost, 2) lack of english dub, 3) set being too large (47 discs)

Here is the discussion on www.animeondvd.com of which it looks like 90% of the people don't have the ability to support this reputed wonderful show

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Andy

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I've done plenty of blind buying, but there's no way I'm plunking down $2000 for something on word of mouth.

9. Jeff Kleist

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

What is this show about?? Also, I know I am in the minority. But, I prefer to have a dubbed version.

11. Jeff Kleist

12. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

It looks very interesting. I am not sure I could afford that much of an investment. But, I am interested. And I still am concerned about having to follow the subtitles. Yes, I know I am not a purist. [​IMG]

14. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Dub fans would like it. I'd be interested to see it dubbed since the settings work well for it.

There's a lot of things shifting behind the scenes right now with this and I think a lot of it is going to come from feedback gained by this survey as well as what they'll hear when they (logh producers) go to Anime Expo. The best thing I can suggest is that if you're interested at all is to offer *constructive* feedback about how it should be released. The "Screw 'em!" comments just won't help.

15. Jeff Kleist

Tony, the "rewind" button does wonders, and the more you watch subtitles the easier and more organic it becomes. Most people just don't seem to be willing to put in the 10-20 hours of viewing it takes to start gelling.

I didn't say ALL dub lovers. My point is that the people who REFUSE to watch subtitles tend to want their anime action packed and exciting, and if that's what you want, LOGH is not the show for you. If you want a superb drama full of epic battle and polical intrigue and maneuvering, LOGH is there in spades.

Definately the online feedback and AX will have major inpact on how the US release is handled. I had some good conversations on the issue this morning, and hopefully working toward a more interactive feedback form that will cover packaging to pricing (though I still think a "Complete Galactic Heroes Suitcase" would be cool [​IMG] )

16. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

47 discs span not just 4 series and 2 movies. Even though the 4 series consist of 110 episodes all together, there are "2 side-stories" consisting of another 52 episodes or so. The price is justifiable for an old series in Japan. But because of the stupid exchange rate in favor of Japan, it becomes more expensive on our side.

As for the dub, there can be no dubs because of the extensive number of players in the series alone. Series 1 alone has 117 characters in it (of course, not all of them survive more than 5 minutes, but that's another story), and then you have to split cast roles based on Americans vs Germans. It's too expensive to do. Characters are introduced left and right in the series and it's hard enough to remember who's who in this world when they start referring to names in their dialogue.

The series is great, and if it does pop up in the states, I will plunk down the money for it because it is very well worth it.

Ah due note though, Series 1 consists of 50 min. per episode. I believe Series 2-4 are the same way. Only the side stories are 25 min per episode. So you're getting your monies worth.

17. Jeff Kleist

Kong, I can tell you you're wrong in that there can be no dub. It's a question of whether or not whoever's paying for it thinks's it's worth it

18. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Jeff, well, as I stated, because of the extensive number of characters, you would need to hire and extensive amounts of voice actors to cover a range of 117 characters per series. So, I'm saying it can't be done unless they pitch in a lot of money for a dubbing process that is long and arduous and will only slow down the release even more so.

19. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Kong, they could use the same VAs for various characters.

20. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter