Legal Question about Best Buy/Computers?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ryan Wishton, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I recently purchased a computer at Best Buy on Sunday. The thing was nothing but problems and on top of that was virus infected. The box even looked to have been open. Keep in mind, this was sold and delivered to me as a new item.

I returned it today. They charged me a restocking fee which came out to around $300. Not to mention the 2 hours lost waiting in line and having the clerk send the computer back to the geek squad. The thing was back there for over an hour before they got back to me. I still don't know what they were doing.

Do I have any legal rights in disputing this restocking charge with my credit card company. I think this is highly insane that they sell me a non-working item and then have the nerve to charge me a restocking fee.

I will never buy anything of such nature at this store again.

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I would have discussed this with a manager before agreeing to pay the $300. Its probably alot easier to deal with it then than to dispute the charge on your credit card. Give them a call tomorow and I bet they will credit you back.

If it was "open box", you shouldnt have to pay anything.

Jeff

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I would think that if you really wanted the PC, they'd offer an even exchange without any fees associated with it. If, of course, the problems were the only reason you were returning it I don't see why you wouldn't like that offer.

4. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

An exchange was the first thing asked about. They said that a restocking fee would be charged no matter what. I am not paying a restocking fee to get the same exact item. Probably kind of illegal. But who has time to start a riot? I would have liked to use an oozie on the rotten employees I had to deal with.

Everything was so unbelievably ridiculous. The waiting, the service, the attitudes.

I am just glad the whole thing is over. Things could have been much worse. Thank goodness I didn't purchase other high end items there. A mistake, but at least one not to make again.

My boss said that she would deal with this (I used a company card as this was for business, not pleasure). She knew of the problems with the item first thing.

I did purchase a Qosmio from Circuit City before closing tonight. From what I can see so far, this is a very nice notebook. It runs video very, very well. Almost as good as my plasma to my eyes. I actually really like it. I might purchase one for my personal use at home as well. I haven't really liked something that much in awhile.