Legacy LUM-A1 Amplifier (made by Proton) for sale.

Discussion in 'Hardware Classifieds' started by Aaron Gilbert, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Hi folks. I have a five channel Legacy LUM-A1 amplifier for sale. It's made by Proton, and is the same internally as a Proton AA-2580 (and extremely close externally). Rated power is 80w per channel into eight ohms, and 120w per channel into four ohms. It has a two speed cooling fan in the back which is fairly quiet. There are dual toroidal power transformers, binding posts on all outputs, and a 12V trigger input for turn-on. Size is 3.4" H x 16.5" W x 14.5" D (including binding posts), weight 21 pounds. It was only used for a few movies, sounded great, and had no problems playing in my system at reference level (granted my speakers are 93 dB at one watt - so in theory that only takes about 20 watts). I just don't need it since I discovered my receiver will also do four ohms at reference level without breaking a sweat. Bought new off eBay a couple years ago, but no manual was provided. I will provide pictures tomorrow.

Asking $125 + $20 shipping UPS ground in the lower 48 states, others inquire about shipping.

***************** Item has been SOLD ****************

Aaron Gilbert

2. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

e-mail sent

3. Aaron Gilbert

Dorian,

Just FYI, I won't be able to check actual email until I get home, about 9 hours from now. So don't think I'm ignoring you. [​IMG] Wasn't able to get pictures yet.

Aaron Gilbert

4. DorianBryant

Hello,

I could not find much info on the amp. I found some reviews on the Proton. What would you compare it to? I am looking for another 5 channel amp-if it is in decent shape, I will take. How do you want payment? Pics would be great!

I have tried an Adcom GFA-6000-how does it compare to the Adcom? Thanks

5. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

These are solid amps, I owned one a few years ago - Aaron may have mine for all I remember. They were Proton amps with the Legacy logo. Solid, powerful, NAD type loosely regulated power supplies. These are no nonsense amps that should give you mulitple years of service.
    JP

6. Aaron Gilbert

Dorian,

Yes, it is tough to find information on these, as they weren't in the market too long. It has one very minor scratch on the top (and I mean the top, not on the front near the top) of the front fascia. I'll get a picture of that tonight and other views. Otherwise it's in new condition. I am really not an amp connoisseur. If they have enough output and low distortion for my needs, I'm good, so can't say how it compares to other brands. It seemed to have more headroom than the amps in my receiver, but with only a few movies a couple years ago, and a Kenwood receiver, that probably means little to anyone. [​IMG] I feel compelled to note that it's not dead silent at idle, there is a very minor buzz in the speakers. Nothing you would hear at the listening position, and most people wouldn't even notice at all, but it is there. Less efficient speakers than mine will make it less noticeable as it's a contant level regardless of input volume.

Paypal is preferred, but will take check or money order if you don't mind waiting for it to clear.

7. DorianBryant

PM sent