Left vs right is backwards in Dolby 5.1 from cable

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by GeorgeWar, May 23, 2005.

1. GeorgeWar

GeorgeWar Auditioning

Hi all,
    I was watching Back to the Future III via Time Warner cable. I was getting HD and the receiver indicated it was Dolby 5.1 surround sound, but as I listened I noticed the sound traveled, say left to right, as a car drove by on the screen from right to left. So, when I tested the receiver in it's test mode, to see if the left and rights were mixed up, it showed everything was fine. The test sounds were coming out of the correct speakers in the test mode.
    I have a Yamaha HTA-5730 for the receiver, a Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300HD HDTVcable (from Time-Warner), a Phillips 50" plasma screen 50PF9956, and six speakers: 1-subwoofer, 1- center speaker, a front left and right and a rear surround sound left and right. (For all you old school stereo buffs, the front left and right are 1979 vintage large Advents - got to love 'em!) I have a Samsung DVD player DVD841 and an older Kenwood CD player DP-A5070 hooked up to the receiver as well.
    I'm tempted to just switch the wires around for the front left and right and the rear left and right behind the receiver, but I'm hoping there is some other way and maybe an explaination.
    Thanks in advance,
    George

2. John S

John S Producer

More extensive testing is in order before you change anything.

I have never run into anything like this. Very strange.

I mean, just that channel? Just that movie on that channel?
    I'm at a loss to tell you how to proceed.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’ve seen this before, but with regular broadcast TV programming. The problem isn’t with your equipment, as you’ve established; it’s either with the cable provider, or the particular channel in question.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. GeorgeWar

GeorgeWar Auditioning

I can't say if it is only on one channel on cable. I tend to think it is on all that have Dolby 5.1. I noticed it for the first time yesterday. Howver, I have not had my system very long, so it could have been going on since the beginning. I haven't run across many things to test it with. I'd need a DVD DTS that has left to right motion of some kind and/or to watch the screen carefully while watching something in Dolby on the cable.

Anyone have some testing suggestions?

Thanks for the comment,

George

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Are they showing Star Wars Episode IV?

**Episode IV DVD owners should get the above joke.

6. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Used to happen to me all the time when I had basic cable in the early 90's. Cable company thought I was nuts when I tried to call to explain.