What's new

Left google browser on Plasma accidentally, Major burn in (1 Viewer)

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Hey there, I've got a 6 month old Samsung 60inch plasma ( pne530 ) ... I accidentally left chrome on the display while I went to work and when I came home the address bar was burnt into the screen. I've tried everything to get rid of it, the built in Samsung black and white scroll bars, music player fractals and visuals, played hours and hours of games and movies on it, and it's still there. I should note that the scrolling colours and visuals were left on for HOURS to try to fix it. Nope. Am I screwed?

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Sabby said:
I would anticipate it reducing slightly over time but you will likely either get used to it or replace the set. You have done what you can short of making an image opposite of the original burn in image to try and offset it by pixel.http://randomtristan.blogspot.com/2012/08/removing-image-retention-on-plasma.html
Yeah that's what I was afraid off... Kind of burns me that this can still happen relatively easily, as most of the information I read wile considering the plasma lead le to believe this issue was a thing of the past. I guess ill try to get used to it. I don't notice it all that often but when I do it really grinds my gears. I don't want to try to burn the negative in there as essentially I'm just burning the rest of the set to match. Oh well. Having just spent 3000 on new audio equipment, and sunk another grand into my htpc, I'm stuck with it for a while.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It isn't exactly the fault of the TV or plasma in general. This would be like buying a new Mustang GT/Camaro SS/Challenger RT...driving it 50,000 miles...doing nothing but oil changes...then taking it out to Daytona and running top-speed for 8 hours straight...And expecting nothing to break.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
schan1269 said:
It isn't exactly the fault of the TV or plasma in general.This would be like buying a new Mustang GT/Camaro SS/Challenger RT...driving it 50,000 miles...doing nothing but oil changes...then taking it out to Daytona and running top-speed for 8 hours straight...And expecting nothing to break.

Honestly, leaving the chrome browser on accidentally is akin to the above? That's pretty terrible. You make one mistake and the screen is F*cked - that's pretty terrible technology IMO.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Cameron Yee said:
What's done is done, but why wasn't there a screensaver?
I HAD a screensaver, but when I got my new Nvidia graphics card I had to change some settings around on the T.V. to get the proper ratio ( changed to screen fit ) .. this blacked out the option to have pixel shift on my Sammy, so that was one strike against me, and on the computer I was having power issues at the time ( waking from sleep on it's own etc ) and believe I changed some power savings settings in an attempt to solve the problem. The end result was that the screensaver was off. Why my AVR screensaver didn't kick in after a few hours ( I've got it set to do so if there's no input ) I don't know. Then I just was in a rush to get to work and forgot to turn the screen off. I might very well have put the computer to sleep also and had it turn back on the moment I left the house ( the power issues ) .. I'm not sure. In any case you'd think that the technology, which is purported to be much better, to the extent people are saying in general it's a non issue now - would be a little more forgiving. The fact that you can leave your tv on for 8 hours with a static image and have it so badly effected is definitely not forgiving, and still a major issue. I only wish I had known that before I bought it. Besides that the picture quality is AMAZING .. So in that respect Plasmas are great... but I guess for people using their plasma's as a PC screen there should be a big WARNING somewhere about it.

Spilt Milk in any case.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It is hard to get burn in over the course of one day. At this early point, it is just image retension. You can reduce or completely eliminate it by just watching material that fills the screen for a few days to a week.

My Samsung plasma gets image retension after just watching w/s films. the black bars do it. I have loaded my set up with a number of photos and I just run a slide show for about 30 min if I am going to sleep. The Sleep timer helps.

So watch stuff that fills the screen and use the sleep timer if you have to ... or just let it run for a while. It will go away.

Burn in usually happens if you keep up that type of abuse over the course of 2 to 3 months. Then it becomes permanent. A higher contrast/brightness image like with the dynamic mode will both speed up the removal process ... and the burn in process.

regards

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Michael TLV said:
Greetings

It is hard to get burn in over the course of one day. At this early point, it is just image retension. You can reduce or completely eliminate it by just watching material that fills the screen for a few days to a week.

My Samsung plasma gets image retension after just watching w/s films. the black bars do it. I have loaded my set up with a number of photos and I just run a slide show for about 30 min if I am going to sleep. The Sleep timer helps.

So watch stuff that fills the screen and use the sleep timer if you have to ... or just let it run for a while. It will go away.

Burn in usually happens if you keep up that type of abuse over the course of 2 to 3 months. Then it becomes permanent. A higher contrast/brightness image like with the dynamic mode will both speed up the removal process ... and the burn in process.

regards
I was sincerely hoping that it was in fact just screen retention, but as I said this happened fairly quickly... it might have been slowly building up for a week or two as I used the browser periodically ( though not constantly ) ... and I didn't notice. Then when I left it on for 8 hours or so it just burned the Sh#T out of it. It did in fact happen quite quickly in my estimation, and as it's been at least a month or so of me constantly trying to get rid of the image with changing shapes and colours left on the screen for hours ( as noted above ) such as music player visualizations and the built in Samsung screen wash - and I mean leaving it on while I go to bed ( so for hours ) to try to fix it, I think it's buggered. Screen retention wouldn't last through a constant bombardment of moving shapes and colors for hours for a month I don't think :(Where as this damned address bar outline is still there.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Try a high contrast burn ... so go to dynamic mode and keep running bright and varied material over night ... again and again ...

Burn in doesn't happen in a day ... but as you guessed, you might be contributed to it for a lot longer and the final 8 hours made it really apparent. And the moment you see it ... you can't stop yourself from seeing it.

Varied material is not the screen wash stuff ... find a channel with material .. .or set up a program loop with your DVD player to run again and again.

regards

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Michael TLV said:
Greetings

Try a high contrast burn ... so go to dynamic mode and keep running bright and varied material over night ... again and again ...

Burn in doesn't happen in a day ... but as you guessed, you might be contributed to it for a lot longer and the final 8 hours made it really apparent. And the moment you see it ... you can't stop yourself from seeing it.

Varied material is not the screen wash stuff ... find a channel with material .. .or set up a program loop with your DVD player to run again and again.

regards
Thanks for the advice, I turned my contrast way down after I noticed the burn so perhaps my efforts after the fact were in vain because of it. Just before I go ahead and try that though, I want to make sure I'm not burning the REST of the screen, ie fading the phosphorus by running it as you suggested in order to get it to even out. That's a six and one half dozen situation, and if that's the case I'd rather just try to get used to the ghost address bar rather then have the whole screen fade.

nodixe

Auditioning
I understand your anger but I don't think you were misled intentionally. Burn in is still possible but with a lil prevention and planning it is a non issue. I've ran Chrome since day 1 (6mos) on my plasma and I left it on overnight once, almost 12 hrs! But the ir was completely gone after an overnight of full screen content. And I own the lg 50pa5500. A bottom tier model from the manufacturer most sensitive to burn in (allegedly). Also, a tech-illiterate friend of mine did nothing but play madden and watch sports on his samsung plasma 24 hours a day for almost 3 weeks. They would just leave it on espn all night!....and all they get is ir which goes away eventually. So they're defenitely tougher but not invincible.Sent from my DROIDX using Home Theater Forum mobile app

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
nodixe said:
I understand your anger but I don't think you were misled intentionally. Burn in is still possible but with a lil prevention and planning it is a non issue. I've ran Chrome since day 1 (6mos) on my plasma and I left it on overnight once, almost 12 hrs! But the ir was completely gone after an overnight of full screen content. And I own the lg 50pa5500. A bottom tier model from the manufacturer most sensitive to burn in (allegedly). Also, a tech-illiterate friend of mine did nothing but play madden and watch sports on his samsung plasma 24 hours a day for almost 3 weeks. They would just leave it on espn all night!....and all they get is ir which goes away eventually. So they're defenitely tougher but not invincible.Sent from my DROIDX using Home Theater Forum mobile app
Well it's been quite some time, and I've run a LOT of movies and games on it - it has receded somewhat, but is still there in the background. As someone suggested, it's probably only perceptible to me, as I can't stop seeing it, but it's there none the less. As far as your experience goes, it sounds like you've had good luck with yours, or I've had bad luck with mine. One way or the other... I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it gets better eventually. It's not end of the world burn-in, or hopefully retention, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Again I think part of the problem was the intensity of the contrast I had it at, AND with pixel shift off ( re my post above ). Ahh well. I just got audited today so it BETTER last me a while :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks