What's new

Left front channel dosnt work after 1 month of use <Ecost refurb> (1 Viewer)

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Hello

I have a Kenwood vr6070 that i bought refurbished from ecost about 1 month ago. Up untill today i had no problems with it. When i received it the letter K was broken off of the Kenwood logo but i assumed that was the reason it was returned in the first place so i didnt bother to contact ecost about it. What are my options for repairing it? i paid $250 w/shipping. I have yet to contact Ecost about this, but i am assuming they will tell me to contact kenwood. I didnt send in any of the warranty stuff that came with it. Will this be a problem? I have never ran into a problem like this and i am really unsure what to do.

Tips? Ideas? all welcome and wanted.

Thx,
Jim

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Don't sit on this one too long...

Refurbs through eCost aren't like refurbs from places like the Harman Factory store. The eCost refurbs that I ever looked at rarely carry full manufacturer warranty. The eCost warranty info usually said anywhere between 30 to 90 days, and you probably need to check if it's an actual manufacturer 30 (or 90) day warranty or just offered through eCost.

It's not that these are terrible deals, but there is some risk involved 'cause you never know why the unit went from new retail to refurb. Maybe it was as simple as a broken "K", or maybe it was faulty electronics - you rarely get a little note in the box that tells you why.

From what I remember reading in the eCost fine print, I think you have to contact Kenwood directly for service.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
The fact that you did not fill out a warranty card will have no effect on whether or not you'll get service. That will depend on the policy of ecost and/or the manufacturer etc. Those cards are mostly a way for the Marketing Department of the electronics firms to collect information on their customers (marketing research information and you may end up on a mailing list or 3 if you fill out your address on the card). These cards have no legal standing that I know of on the status of a warranty.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Well, i Emailed Ecost, they told me to call them, i did. And then they told me that they couldnt help me because it was past 15 days. So, im done with Ecost and with refurbs and with Kenwood (unless they come through for me, im waiting for a response to my email). One bad experience is enough for me. Im so pissed. Im running my mains through the speaker b output now.

My friend just went through the same crap with ecost except he didnt even try to contact them, his JVC dvd player he bought through them would cut out at exactly one hour into the movie everytime.
15 days.. what a crap return policy. They know that by the time the person actually receives the item that there return window is 10 days.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
My manager at work recommended that i dispute the charge with my cc company. He said that he was in a similar situation (product breaking after 30 days, what ever it may have been) and the cc company told him the ship it back and that they would take care of it and refund him the money. What do you guys think of this?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Man, I am not getting a good feeling about e-cost. A thread over in the DVD player about a dude who got a player DOA. He got lucky though.

Yes, try your credit card company. At this point, you don't have anything to lose. :)

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Jimi - Did you get a chance to read the warranty information on that unit that eCost has in the pop-up? It sure looks like you've got 90 days through Kenwood, so I wouldn't toss in the towel yet.

Make sure you keep after Kenwood (it looks like there is a click-through to them right from the eCost page) - in the worst case it looks like they will direct you to an authorized service center in your area.

Refurbs are a crap-shoot, no doubt about it. If you get lucky with a simple open box return then they obviously can be one heck of a deal. 'Course, none of us gets to choose their type of refurb for equally obvious reasons. Good luck with this one, and stay after Kenwood to get this right.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If you stay on top of Kenwood they will probably just send you another refurb & then the warranty will start all over again on the "new" refurb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks