What's new

Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" (1 Viewer)

JordanS

Second Unit
Do you think that this is their best work?

I personally enjoy Led Zeppelin III; but, I think Physical Graffiti is probably their best work.

Has anyone ever heard/viewed the live version of "In My Time of Dying" and "Trampled Underfoot?" They are on HTWWW DVD!!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I also kind of view Physical Graffiti as their best work. Especially since such a high quality of writing and performance is maintained over 2 discs. Not many bands have done that.

I like Houses of the Holy next, followed by Presence. IV is awesome, but all of the songs are so overplayed on Classic Rock music stations.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Its hard to pick a fav. It is easier to pick my least favorite, which is easy: In Through the Out Door. Too much JPJ, and not enough Jimmy, I guess.

The first Zep I heard was II (circa 1970 or so age the ripe old age of 10), and to this day, I guess if I had to say which is my favorite, that would be it. Actually, its more than a Zep favorite. Its probably in my personal top 10 of all time.

But PG has some really under appreciated gems, such as The Wanton Song. When I saw Plant/Page in the mid '90's they opened with that. The most incredible show opening I had ever seen.

They actually started (with the house lights still down) playing what I thought was going to be The Immigrant Song. Then they stopped dead nuts, paused for a fraction of a second, then tore into The Wanton Song as the house lights came up. Abso-f*ckin-lutely incredible.

Ten Years Gone is also masterful. Well crap, the whole GD record is a freakin' master work, as is most of their catalog.

BGL

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
My favorite is the "ZOSO" album or Led Zepplin 4. True, "Stairway to Heaven" has been played to death, but no better rock anthem can be found.:)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I never much cared for Physical Graffiti, perhaps another listen since it has been some years is due. I have always likened Led Zep's first release as my fav , I find it the rawest of the discs and my favorite tune is on it.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I remember purchasing Physical Graffiti on vinyl when it was first released and being filled with anticipation while I rode home in the back of my parent's car carefully studying the cool cover...

I never could get into it, even after 30 years.

III is still my fav.

Max F

Second Unit
I think Physical Graffiti was just past their prime. I would say that they peaked during Houses of the Holy, which is my favorite. Physical Graffiti is a little over-the-top in places, almost like over-indulgence especially 'In my time of dying'. Jimi's playing was starting to drop off then too. I still really like it though, just that the fruit on the tree was starting to get a little too ripe.

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Musically, I believe that House of the Holy is Led Zeppelin's best album. After that, Plant's voice really seemed to age.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Love Physical Graffiti, and it contains what may be my favorite Zep song: Ten Years Gone.

Because PG is a double album, it's almost unfair to call it "the best" because it's got twice the number of songs as other Zep albums. By sheer numbers (and Zep's the kind of band that I don't FF past any songs) it's going to win!

My fave of their single-album collection (and yes it's real hard to choose) is probably Houses of the Holy.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
PG is definitely my favorite Zep album - it hits all their high notes, and still leaves me wanting more. From the opening rockers to blues-informed epics, it runs the gamut.

For packaging alone, this album makes me lament the death of vinyl. I loved the "windowpanes" on the LP.

My favorite "side" (since I still think of this in terms of the LPs) is three: In the Light, Bron-yr-Aur, Down by the Seaside and Ten Years Gone. Zep at their cosmic and acoustic best.

And the very end of In My Time of Dying still cracks me up.

KrisM

Second Unit
I picked up a copy of this on vinyl a while back and it is indeed a very cool package. So is III.
I also found a near mint, $1.00 thrift copy of In Through The Out Door. It didn't have the outer brown paper bag with it, but I went back a few weeks later and the brown bag was stuffed between a couple Christmas lps.
I find it tough to pick my favorite, I enjoy all of them.

Regards
KrisM

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
You know there are actually 6 versions of the In Through the Out Door lp, right? Different covers. There is a letter on the spine, A - F I think. III with the pinwheel is neat.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Funny you shouls mention PG. I just dug it out after years of neglect. It is a fabulous album, but not without it's flaws. In My Time ... a bit too long, Boogie With Stu .... outright plagerism. But, other than that, near perfect. Ten Years Gone is my all time favorite Zep song. Hard not to play air guitar and sing along when it's playing.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I would say In My Time is too short! And the live versions are truly incredible. I was beside myself seeing that for the first time on the Led Zeppelin DVD. I still smile when I think about it. Anyway, my number one fav would be IV, but PG would probably be the one that comes to the desert island with me, if I could pick only one. As someone said, the amount of music makes that an easy decision. I also heard II before any of them, and it has a place in my heart. And III is a gem, no doubt. This is like Sophie's Choice.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I personally enjoy Led Zeppelin III"

Thats my favorite.

I like Houses and Led Zep2 the least.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Zep III and Presence are my favorites. Achillies Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine just kick some major musical butt so I have to disagree with whoever said Zeppelin was past their prime when they made PG.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks