What's new

Led Zeppelin DVD Box Set (1 Viewer)

Pat B

Grip
Okay, this is NOT about bootlegs. This is supposed to be an official release. Of course, I heard about it from a German site that reviews Zep boots...

Anyway, German music press and HMV in the UK have reported that a three- or four-DVD set of live Zep is scheduled for official release either November of this year or March 2003, depending on who you ask. I know all of this sounds pretty vague, but apparently HMV was taking pre-orders at one point. This set is supposed to include such gems as the '71 Royal Albert Hall show, Earl's Court '75, and the '79 Knebworth show.

Man, would that be cool. No way would I pass up remastered, DVD-quality versions of those shows. Hell, they can even add in footage of old men climbing mountains and hippie lead singers riding horses if they want.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Check here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...light=zeppelin
There's really nothing to update. Some UK websites were offering pre-orders on it, but there wasn't even anything confirmed, and they dropped the links. But what is known is that Jimmy Page is working on it himself, and that there should be an accompanying CD release along with it, perhaps that might even come out first. But I wouldn't expect anything until 2003, which makes me sad but my wallet happy. :)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Jimmy Page was in LA working on this set last month. When I met Robert Plant at The Who concert he told me this himself.

Jeff

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As long as it comes out, I don't care if it's 2002 or 3. I've waited this long, I can wait a bit longer.

Still getting mileage out of my "Song Remains The Same" CDs...

Pat B

Grip
Thanks for the info and links! Now, why didn't I find that thread when I searched? Oh, well.

Yeah, I saw Robert open for the Who here in Columbus. Great show, but the man is getting a little saggy about the jowls.

Clint B

Second Unit
I assume these are gonna be region 2 DVD's? If so, I guess I gotta get a region free player!

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
The Tight but Loose website mentions a Japanese release date of a 2-disc CD on November 27th followed by the DVD in 2003. If Jimmy's running the show the DVD should be awesome.Hopefully Plant will look more like a "Golden God" and not like your Aunt Bertha:D

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, TBL also mentioned that WEA said December 17 here in the US, but didn't make it clear if they were talking CD and/or DVD. Well, it's the right company and the date is a Tuesday, so let's hope there's some truth to this.

Let's be clear about this though - there ain't no way that a Zeppelin release would come out first someplace other than the US. Page would be working with Warner on the DVD, and Atlantic on the CD, in the US. Everybody involved knows the US is where the money is to be made on this one (especially considering the success in the US of not just Zeppelin, but also DVD). Not saying that it HAS to come out in the US before anywhere else, but the US will be among the first to have it.

But I'm sure WB/WEA want to get this out by Christmas, which makes me wonder if the fact that the rumored release date is also the last release date before Christmas, means this isn't more than just wishful thinking. Hope not.

Pat B

Grip
Tight But Loose reports today that Robert was on UK Radio 5 last Saturday night on the Rock and Roll Football Show, and mentioned that the DVD is due out at the end of May.

Pat B

Grip
Tight But Loose reports today that Robert was on UK Radio 5 last Saturday night on the Rock and Roll Football Show, where he mentioned that the DVD is due out at the end of May.

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
On a Led Zeppelin message board, someone posted that the box set is coming out May 27th (yes, a Tuesday), and that it is being released by Image. :eek: This is in league with what Plant said. If you want to read the discussion, it's here. Here are the details:
its retail cost will be about $29.95
it will have the following.....
Knebworth '79
Earl's Court '75
danish & french tv '69
leftovers from TSRTS
THE OCEAN
SINCE i'VE BEEN LOVING YOU
MISTY MOUNTAIN HOP
BLACK DOG
plus some interviews and a few surprises
plus
the royal albert hall '70
Now I'm inclined to not believe it, especially since Zeppelin fans are foaming at the mouths waiting for any news or updates, and perhaps someone decided to lay down some BS. I mean, why would Warner NOT be releasing this? But, after checking Image's site (which doesn't mention anything Zeppelin-related to be released), I realized they did Eagles: Hell Freezes Over, and did a fine job at that. Perhaps everything that will be contained on the DVD is owned by LZ, and they have the right to go with whomever they want for a DVD release. Or maybe Image has some sort of licensing agreement.
This release also looks to be made in conjunction with a live double-CD, about which there is very little info, just a lot of very tantalizing rumors. But I'm sure the CDs will be a totally separate package from the DVDs.
Can anyone out there with access to future release dates and order deadlines (e.g. DVD purchasing managers, those-in-the-know) corroborate what this guy is saying? The supposed release date is less than three months away now. Thanks!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well the rumored contents do sound awesome...but I too am inclined to take this news with a huge grain of salt. Oh well, I've waited this long for anything Live Zep related, I can wait a bit longer for confirmation (or denial) of those rumors. Do hope that Page gets around to releasing some more live stuff though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks