What's new

Led Zeppelin DVD-A details (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Brian was referring to the press event formats for both which I think is a different part of the article.

I have no doubt that Mark's presentation was superb based on my AIX discs. They did also complain about Dolby's lack of a good audiophile speakers in DVDA show, while Sony used Wilson Audio speakers to great effect. Perhaps though this speaks less to format weaknesses as it does to DVDA's slant toward Home Theater and Super Audio's slant to Traditional Audiophiles. That's about as neutral as I can make comments on this particular article. ;)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

It's okay, everyone already knows the slant.

You pointed out the negative article about DVD-Audio, I pointed out the positive article about DVD-Audio.

What was this thread about anyway? Oh yeah, it was Led Zeppelin on DVD-Audio.

Regards,

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Lee,

I still have yet to buy a 24/48 recording that I loathe. The Donald Fagen "Nightfly" and REM "Automatic" are among my favorite Warner discs sonically despite being "lo-rez." I just bought the NAXOS Shostakovich Jazz Suite 1 & 2 and it to is an excellent 24/48 recording. Anyway, what exactly does a title have to be to be considered hi-rez? True the sampling rate is only slightly higher than the redbook sample rate, but the word length is 24 bit. I will be picking the Sheryl Crow "Globe Sessions" up which I believe also has a redbook-like sample rate, so it'll be interesting to see how the Universal titles sound at 24/48.

Reg

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I bet in a double blind A/B/X test (uh oh! :) ) most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between 16/44 and 24/48.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I bet in a double blind A/B/X test (uh oh! ) most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between 16/44 and 24/48.
This may or may not be true-I can envision a scenario wher the extra word length can help. I can say this: we have been doing this type of test on the Alessis Masterlink and the results of each sampling from 44 to 88 is very noticeable.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yet it is still widely used by the majority of people doing recordings out there.
I think this is partly true-I'll explain. The arrival of Alessis and other decks with great ADCs has caused many studios to record in 24/88.2k and then subtract by half to get a 44.1K output.

Those recording studios of size are generally trying to do new recordings in 96k, if not 88k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks