Led Zeppelin: 2 Box Sets vs. Complete Studio Recordings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Farmer, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I'm finally about to bite the bullet and pony up the sach for a complete set of Led Zeppelin. Best I can tell, there are 3 options, buy each CD individuall, buy the 2 box sets, or get the complete studio recordings box. Anybody who own them have thoughts on which to go with? Box sets are about $20 cheaper, but the packaginc on complete is cooler, as is the album art replication. What about sound quality?

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have the complete box set. All of each albums artwork is duplicated on the inside, but you are right, not as it would be for individual CDs.

As far as I know, they use the same (re-)master for all 3.

I like the box set. Kind of stands out on my CD rack. [​IMG]

I would go for the individal CDs after that. I don't really see a reason to get the 2 box set, set. All the songs are out of order anyway.

But to be honest, if you've waited this long, *if* you waited a little longer, who knows, maybe we have SACDs or DVD-A's to look forward too...

3. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

I have the 2 box sets, and I have found myself programing the original album sequences in a multi-changer a number of times. It's a pain in the butt.

Go with the complete studio recordings. The 1 or 2 "bonus tracks" on the box sets aren't really essential - and no-one ever needs to hear the dreadful Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreaux blend offered therein.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The complete box set does have those additional recordings. Added on to the end of Coda. [​IMG]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Don't suppose they recreated the complete (w/ spin-o-rama or whatever it's called) Led Zeppelin III album cover did they? That alone would actually motivate me to spring for the complete set even though I own all the original CDs and the two box sets... [​IMG]

6. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

Carlo,

There was a VERY limited set of Japanese mini-LP cover CD's issued for the Led Zep catalog and the LZ3 cover was as you described (along with an actual brown wrapper cover for In Through The Out Door and the moving cover for Physical Graffiti, etc.). You can find more information at http://www.77266.com/ZepList2002.htm

7. Dan Stone

I have the two box sets only because the complete studio recordings set wasn't available at the time the two box sets first came out. If I were doing it over now I would go the complete studio recordings route. Even by programming a CD changer to get the songs in the correct order, you can't get the seamless break between Heartbreaker and Living Lovin' Maid like I'm so used to hearing from the original album.

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had the originally released CDs, and I always like the inter-song banter they put back in for the remasters, especially on Physical Graffiti.

Did they do all 6 covers for In Through the Out Door? (I got up to 4 of them on vinyl, and gave up. [​IMG] )

10. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I'll put my vote in for the Complete Studio Recordings set. Had it ever since it came out, and love it. Very nicely done.

A brief side-track, if I can:

What ever became of that special edition of IV/Zoso that I believe was supposed to come out sometime last year?
    I think it was supposed to be a two-disc set, remastered, with either outtakes or bonus tracks?

Anyone know? Is it out, and I've just missed it?

11. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Go with the Complete Studio Recordings!!

Great sound on those CDs. Jimmy Page at the helm is a good thing indeed. No need to wait on hi-res versions of this. Frankly, I doubt they'd be able to do a better job than the CSR box set.

-JNS

12. Chris Farmer

Well, the people have spoken, I trust you guys and should get my CSR pretty soon. Don't think I'll wait for SACD as a, don;t have a player and not getting one anytime soon, and b, I'd say that normal CD is high-res enough for the source material. No matter how high the bandwidth, you can only get so much audio quality out of recordings from the 70s.

Of course, now that I've said that, I'll probably have several people jump down my throut and tell me how wrong I am, and that it's amazing. And they'll probably be right, as they're coming from experience and I'm speculating. [shrug]

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Get the CDs. Play them loud. You will be happy. [​IMG]

You do know, that Jimmy is working on either, a) a 2 DVD concert set, or, b) two different DVDs of live stuff right now? I saw a blurb, that because he's such a perfectionist, that it's running way late. Was supposed to be out before the end of 2002...

(It's interesting watching/listening to The Song Remains the Same DVD, that was less edited, than the double live lp/CD.)

14. Dan Stone

15. Dan Stone

16. Chris Farmer

March 2003? As in next month? Sign me up right now!

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I so didn't need to read that interview. Now I have to wipe the drool from my keyboard.

18. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I still get goosebumps when I crank up and watch The Song Remains the Same...