Led Zep DVD: R1, R2 or R4?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by RobD, Jun 8, 2003.

1. RobD

RobD Second Unit

Does anyone know the differences between the regions, was the material originally 24Fps or 25?

The main reason I ask is the R1 is cheapest and the R2 most expensive but if one is better I'll buy it reguardless.

2. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

I can't help you too much, I'm afraid, but I'm facing the same dilemma. Over here, the R2 version is 60-80 Swiss Francs, depending on where you go, which is practically double the US price I've heard quoted (as cheap as 16$, apparently.)

As far as I know, most of the material is on film, so would be 24 fps, but I've heard that at least some of the Knebworth footage is video (25 fps). On the other hand, the sound was apparently lifted from seperate analogue tapes, so it seems pretty complicated.

3. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

Rob, did you get round to making a decision yet?

I sent an e-mail to the editor of r2-dvd.org, where they did an interview with Dick Carruthers, who together with Page was in charge of remastering. The journalist who wrote the article said that he wished he had asked him about the PAL speedup issue, but that he'd forward my e-mail to him. I'm not expecting a reply, but I'll keep you posted in case I hear any news.

4. RobD

RobD Second Unit

Frederic,

Im still nowhere near a decision on this one, Im beginning to think R1 simply because of the price difference.

5. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm