What's new

LED Technologies (1 Viewer)

amacsteeze

Grip
Real Name
Alex MacDonald
Hey everyone;

I am curious about all the new differences in LED tvs. I know there are "edge-lit", "full-array", "side-lit" and "back-lit" models from Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and LG; but what is the practical differences between them?
In the same topic, what does the term "local-dimming" refer to and what are the other options out there?

If there is already a thread open regarding the subject I apologize in advance!

Thanks,
Alex

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Edge-lit is Samsung's new ultra-thin models.

Local dimming has LEDs behind the screen, more traditionally, with also the ability to control the brightness of clusters of LEDs, instead of there just being one global setting. So you can dim parts of the screen if the scene is dark. Better contrast potential, although potential "halo" artifacts if you have a bright object against a dark background.

amacsteeze

Grip
Real Name
Alex MacDonald
Thanks Stephen,

Fair enough, so all that being said; who qualitatively makes the best LED right now and why?

strangebeast17

Auditioning
Real Name
George R
That's a really hard question to answer, because like most electronics the technology is new and advances extremely fast. I think for the best valued I'd have to say the Samsung unit, but this is based on what I have seen at my local stores... Haven't really owned one yet...

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
These are the different types of LED TVs:
White edge-lit.
White local-dimming.
White RGB local-dimming (Red/Green/Blue).

The best LCD made thus far is Sony's RGB local-dimming XBR8 aka XBR4500 aka XBR45.

The TV may not look as cool, because it can't be as thin as an edge-lit.

As it was too expensive to produce (apparently), Sony has abandoned RGB local-dimming and copied Samsung with their upcoming edge-lit XBR10 aka ZX5.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The Samsung units are the most accurate sets with the controls to make it so. The Sony is more limited in that way for calibration.

regards

AshishNJ

Agent
Real Name
ASHISH BHARDWAJ
Just curious, any chance of seeing a larger LED TV set in near future ? I am talking 65+

Craig Luntz

Auditioning
Originally Posted by AshishNJ

Just curious, any chance of seeing a larger LED TV set in near future ? I am talking 65+
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's hard to go from 61 to 55. They're too expensive now anyway, think I'll wait awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks