What's new

LED projectors (1 Viewer)

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
I saw a news item about the upcoming Mitsubishi LED projector (Pocket Projector). This is the first projector to really capture my attention, because they use LEDs instead of regular bulbs. They last 10 times as long, and generate very little heat so only a small fan is needed (or maybe not at all). Not quite out yet, though.

Anyone know of any other LED projectors?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Some of the large sometimes over 10 foot wide TV's you see at stadiums or on signs in front of some stores, one make is trademarked Jumbotron, are LED based displays.

Check the resolution of the thing. I don't think this Pocket Projector is more than 640 x 480 if that.

Also check for screen door effect, particularly if all the LED elements are on the same panel with red, green, and blue spots side by side. At least the large LED displays I saw were that way and had gaps between LED's bigger than the diameter of the LED's themselves.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
For LED screens (not projectors,) there are a number of makers, all of varying quality.

The best I've seen, the Barci i6 screens, once I'm about ten feet away, I can start to see 'image' rather than just 'spots.' But LED sign displays are not battery powered devices; they burn rediculous amounts of electricity when they're in full-bore mode...

The 'pocket projector' is a charming idea, and I'd really like to see one in person...

Leo

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
OK, just to be clear folks, what I'm talking about here is just a different light source for what would otherwise be your run-of-the-mill LCD or DLP projector. This isn't an array of LEDs crammed together, like DLP mirrors. This is, I believe, a single set of red, blue and green LEDs (one each) that are combined to create white light, which was previously impossible until the ability to do blue was figured out. Other than that, it's a typical DLP projector.

While the idea of a jumbotron in my living room has a certain appeal, it's not what I have in mind.

I've since discovered that InFocus is also planning on coming out with an LED projector soon.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
From what I've heard of the initial Red-Green-Blue LED driven DLP projectors, the main limitation (as you might imagine) will be lumens: The first units will be rated at around 250 lumens, with the recommended max projected image being about 65" in a fully darkened room.

However, I'm sure the technology will continue to progress from there (after all, a 10,000 hour light source, combined with no mechanical color wheel(!) is what single-chip DLP pj owners have always craved.)

The first units are supposed to be out in September and will (supposedly) street for less than a thousand dollars. It should be interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks