What's new

LED or OLED for 3D? (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I know everyone is raving about the 3D on the OLED but here is my problem. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the LG 55UH8500. I would LOVE to get a 55inch OLED but it's really out of my price range. My daughter offered to buy the LED for the family as an early Christmas present. My question is: is the 3D on the LG LED good or is the difference that major that spending an extra $1500.00 for OLED would be worth it? I would like to eventually upgrade to an OLED but most likely it won't have 3D. Any thoughts? Thanks.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I can't speak to LED, but I had active 3D on plasma for years and it was OK to me. Passive 3D on a 2160p OLED is something special. It convinced me to start buying 3D flicks again.

Not sure where you are looking, but just popping in on Amazon the 8500 is $1200 and the 55" B6 is $1997. If you talk to @Robert_Zohn here who owns Value Electronics, he can prob work a good deal. That is where I got my 65" E6.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
In January I faced the same decision. I really wanted the 65 oled but it wasn't in my budget. I found the 55 oled at conns for 1799, and then found the 60 inch uh8500 for $1299 at nebraska furniture mart. saving $500, gaining 5 inches and avoiding the curved screen made my decision easy. (And the price went up $100 the day after I bought it, so im glad i pulled the trigger.)

Im sure the oled has a better picture, but the 8500 is still an amazing set. Its my first 3d set and it is spectacular. I watched edge of tomorrow yesterday, and in the scenes where the soldiers are waiting to drop from the plane their release bars were protruding from the screen quite realistically.

Mad Magician, Man in the dark, despicable me 2 and It came from outer space were also amazing.

And ive spent the last month and a half revisiting my entire bluray collection.

And also, while theres not a ton of netflix 4k content that interests me, Blacklist in 4k is revelatory and stunningly gorgeous.

You need to do what works for your budget, and im sure the oled is a better set, but i think youll be happy either way.

Jonathan Perregaux

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I revisited some titles I knew to have ghosting issues on my plasma and they were non-existent on my OLED.

I watched Doctor Strange the other night and the 3D effect was profound and natural.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I can't speak to LED, but I had active 3D on plasma for years and it was OK to me. Passive 3D on a 2160p OLED is something special. It convinced me to start buying 3D flicks again.

Not sure where you are looking, but just popping in on Amazon the 8500 is $1200 and the 55" B6 is $1997. If you talk to @Robert_Zohn here who owns Value Electronics, he can prob work a good deal. That is where I got my 65" E6.

The B6 doesn't support 3D.

Also, there's a bit of a terminology mixup here that has been perpetrated by industry marketing. There's really no such thing as an "LED TV". These are LCD panels that are back lit or edge lit by LED lighting, rather than the old CCFL backlighting technology. The TFT LCD panel tech is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daryubel
Recent bookmarks