What's new

LED DLP sets (1 Viewer)

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I know that Samsung has one of these sets available, but will Toshiba or Mitsubishi be putting out models by the end of the year?

I am getting the itch to upgrade my Sony 60XS955 to something with 1080p... I have found that, as long as the TV doesn't have speaker "ears", I could fit a 65" set in my setup. It's too bad Sony doesn't make a 65" set.

Toshiba and Mitsubishi both have 65" DLP sets. What is the overall opinion of the LED DLP sets? Are these coming from these manufacturers? Do they truly eliminate the rainbow effect?

Thanks!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
1. Yes; the "Rainbow Effect" is totally gone. The high-powered Red-Green-Blue LED light array energizes the DLP chip; there is therefore no color wheel and therefore no "Rainbow Effect".

2. Surprisingly, brightness does not seem to have been inordinately compromised by the LED array replacing the bulb.

3. The reviewers are stating that "black level"-while good-does not seem to be up to the standards of "regular", bulb-and-color wheel-driven, DLP-based RPTV's. There is speculation that Samsung may include an "auto-iris" arrangement on future displays to help out with the black level.

Now ... I have to tell you that I'm very much interested in their new 61" LED DLP RPTV configuration which is only 11" deep. My local Sears has one of these setup on the floor sitting on a very nice stand. They were playing the Blu-ray version of "Superman Returns" on the unit and it looked ... very nice! As predicted, RBE was not a problem (I had them go to the "Airplane scene" which was frequently cutting to Luthors' basement. There was no detectable RBE even in the dark scenes.) There really didn't seem to be a deficiency in the black levels either-at least with the mated Samsung Blu-ray player providing the source.

The salesperson obviously saw me salivating since he told me that he could have it delivered and setup in my house by Saturday! I mumbled something about "having to check with the wife" and stumbled out before my right hand could whip out the plastic.

But I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this baby!

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin
Toshiba is already making them with LED lighting as I understand it.

An employee mentioned an employee special deal to $1600 door delivery of one.
I think 42 or 46 inch....

IMO, it's not really a 100% DLP issue, it's replacing the bulbs. Due to shortages in the past of bulb suppliers, their "control" will lose it's game soon if not already.

It will also help prices drop too as the bulb suppliers as I understand it haven't been able to lower prices (or chose not to) as fast as everyone else in the parts supply chain.

and of course the benefit of the cost saved by the TV customer/ end user by the LED (no bulb change out).

Who knows, some lucky stiffs don't have to worry so much about cost... dogs. :D

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin
Here's some interesting LED (and Laser) info.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/24/bu...?ref=yourmoney
TI and others are also working on Laser TV's / DLP... a gorgeous picture from what I hear. (and read). Unfortunately I've never seen one yet.

bulbs suck and will die out imo. not overnight, but they'll be like CRT PC monitors before long, and bulbs haven't been able to really keep pace with the technology forward movement. How can you make a bulb better, cheaper, smaller?

its just one of those technologys that were "all that was available" at the time.

as I see it...which means nothing really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greatestxv