What's new

Leaving Electronics(Receivers, Amps) On All Day (1 Viewer)

Kevin-L

Grip
Well guys i know some of you may THINK your hearing a difference but if there is any sort of warm up period it should be with in a few seconds or so.. Heat is a by product of the amplifier making power. The amp wants to get RID of heat not retain it. As far as the solder comment not everything in your amplifier gets warm and the solder requires extremely high tempatures to change its current form so the chances of it changing even in the slightest bit isnt very high and if your solder was changing forms that would be BAD..

As far as leaving things on the amount of power a/b amps and pre amps use etc isnt that much at idle and i dont think turning components on and off is goign to change their life span hell look at a Sunfire amp it has no power switch the amps stay on all the time and look at other nice amps they have power switches.. I have an old pioneer receiver that i use for my computer audio and it has been on for YEARS and no problems still puts out power etc. Most people leave their computers on 24/7 ( like me ) because they hate to wait for the computer to boot up and be usable and as far as operating tempatures on your computer the colder the better so the whole operating tempature for computer is kinda :/

oh well not trying to rain on anyones parade but you gotta look at it from a technical stand point.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
OK-

6 - better sound after amp has been on

4 - it makes no difference

For what it's worth: My old Onkyo 575X sounded the same if it was on for five minutes or five hours. So perhaps it is related to equipment design or parts used.

I'm glad this thread veered off course a little bit- it is interesting to hear what people think about the whole warm-up issue.

Ron Duca

Stunt Coordinator
FYI...

I sent a note to Anthem's technical support to find out what their position is regarding leaving my MCA 50 amp on 24/7. Here is their reply:

"Leaving it on 24/7 isn't recommended simply because if there's a power interruption while you're out, or in the middle of the night, the chances of ending up with blown speakers can only increase. After 20 minutes of warmup
(green LED, not red) the amp should be at normal temperature."

NOTE: The green LED means the amp is "on" and the red LED means the amp is in "standby", which essentially is off.

Users who are viewing this thread