Leaving amp on 24/7 - Big electricity waste?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Hart, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Gregg Hart

Gregg Hart Stunt Coordinator

I am having problems getting my pre-amp to trigger my amp on/off. I have decided to leave the amp on all the time. Is this a big electricity drain, when it's left idle with nothing else on? The amp is a Golden Theater GTA-1 with 5X200 watts @8 ohms. Thanks.

Gregg

2. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

I am running Arogon 8008X3 amp and an Adcom 2 channel. I used to leave them on 24/7. So I turned them off for a month and my bill went down almost $60. I come to find out that the aragon is running at full power all the time. Thats why it was always hot. The adcom on the other hand didn't get hot unless I was using it. But yes leaving my amps on cost me $60 more a month.

3. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Do a search of the forum, this has been discussed at length elsewhere. If memory serves me, don't leave the equipment on 24/7...[​IMG]
    rw

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I can't find any literature out there on the Golden Theater, but given their rep (and price), I'm betting they use Class A operation.

Class A power amps have the highest idle power consumption of any amps, and can consume upwards of 50% of full power rating, when sitting idle (i.e. on with no signal). As such, it could be upwards of 500 Watts, continuously. That's 360KW-hrs monthly, or about $36 in my neighborhood.

Why not look into WHY the trigger doesn't work correctly, and fix that?

Todd

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I wouldn't leave it on 24/7 since its wasting electricity and costing money. Try to fix the triggering situation. If you cannot, then why not wire a "light-switch" on the wall to control the amp. I have done that for my subwoofer, TV, receiver and CD player and I love it. When I'm not watching TV, a movie or listening to music, it is all turned off. The only thing left on is my VCR which is actually ENERGY rated and only draws a couple watts.

Avoid using more power than necessary.

6. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Do you heat your house with electricty? If so, in the winter you can leave it on 24/7 and it won't cost much (if any) more than you would otherwise have paid for space heating.

If you air-condition in the summer, though, the equation reverses and you'll pay not just to power the amp but again to get rid of the heat it produced.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

8. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

You seem to live in CA - it's not worth the convenience to leave it on all the time. So many reasons that lower power consumption here is better - but the cost is definitely tangible. I'd bank the $$ and put it in the upgrade fund! [​IMG]

9. Oliver

Oliver Stunt Coordinator

I surely like my Parasound HCA 2003 that is feed by a Denon AVC A1SE. Those are big eletricity consumers too.

While I see not problem in that as long as it realy gives you pleasure while watching a film or listening to music please shut them down when you do not need them.

Electricity does not (ok, very few times it does) fall from the sky, it has to be produced and resources are gone forever when wasted. Plus the production of electricity polutes the air and ground, your enviroment and mine also. This will not make earth any better, so take your time to think about that too, if not for you than for your children.

10. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

I leave all 5 of my B&K REF amps on 24/7, and have only noticed about a 19-24 dollar difference. I've noticed most amps do not sound like they should cold. I believe the B&K's consume 75 watts when there is no signal present.[​IMG]
    L

11. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

Greg, I suggest you check this recent thread on the same subject.
    The easiest/most efficient solution may just be to turn the amp on and leave it on for the hours you expect to be using it, then turn it off again when you are done. This is what I do with my Samson amp, and at least a few other members seem to do as well. Unless you have a habit of using the amp firstthing in the morning and again late at night, generally your equipment would only be sucking up power for a few hours a day. Plus you'd only have to get up to switch it on/off twice, and at times when you'd already be up anyway.