Leave receiver on after watching a movie?

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
I never really worry about this as I live in an apartment where electric is included in the rent, but was thinking about it today. How much power is being drawn from my Denon 3805 or receivers in general when it is left on, say after watching a movie and turning off the DVD player and TV, but leaving the receiver on at the same volume I watched the movie at?

Is it pretty much negligible or something people are concerned with as far as their electric bill or wear 'n' tear on the receiver or speakers? It must be something because you can still hear that tiny hiss if you put your head a couple inches from the speakers.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The power consumption of an amp or receiver, when not given any source material even with the gain or volume up, should be very minimal (maybe 15-20 watts). The hiss is also normal.

DougEW

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug White

Weird, I was just thinking about this. Does the same wattage apply if it is in "sleep" mode. I leave my Denon 2200 dvd player, pre-amp and amp all in sleep mode. Before I got the pre-amp and amp a few months back I always turned off my receiver because it didn't have a "sleep" mode, at least not that I knew of.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No, when your stuff is in "sleep" mode, it has a draw of something like 1 watt. Even that is largely avoided in my house, I switch on a Powermax power strip based on the power of my receiver. So only my receiver stays on in "standby".

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
Then a quick calculation if left on idle assuming 20 watt draw, not sleep mode, 24 hrs a day for a month gives about:

20 Watts = 0.02 kW
(0.02 kW) * (720 hours in a month) = 14.4 kWh of energy in a month.

In July '06 for Florida the cost per kWh according to a site I just looked at was 11.3 cents.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html

This comes out to about $1.62/month to run. That's not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, although we all know we don't just have our equipment to sit and do nothing all day!

So Phillip, if you lived in FL it would cost you about $0.08/month to sleep it. Yes I know people should conserve as much power as possible for environmental reasons, but I'm just thinking "out loud" here.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How hard is it to just turn it off? It definitely doesn't save you anything by leaving it on.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo