1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Leave on or Turn off my AMP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I was told by an Audio shop to leave my Rotel RMB 1066 AMP on even when not in use. I'm curious to how much juice does an AMP draw when not being used but turned on?
    Kevin

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Turn it off.
    All power amps will consume some power when idle. How much depends on the biasing (its quiescent point, or operating point with no signal) of the amp circuits. Higher quality amps tend to be biased more toward Class A, which consumes more power at all times- signal or not.
    Rotel's website doesn't list power consumption specs other than rated (700W- which is an "all channels driven into oblivion" type spec). As a guess, I would say this 6-channel amp consumes a MINIMUM of 75-100 watts at idle. Left on, that's up to 75kW-hrs per month.
    Audio shops seem to perpetuate the myth that there is a world of difference by leaving the amp on. While the most anal listener may notice the slightest difference, it isn't night and day. Simply put, how much additional natural resources are you willing to consume, for how little return?
    Todd

3. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Well in my experience with my Acurus amps, cold vs.warm is night and day. I leave'em on(or at least the 2ch amp)all the time. However,though I have not checked,warm-up time is probably not all that long.
    Jason