What's new

leave it to beaver (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
1) they have had mr. blair on the last few times. i am wondering if miss landers is gone ?

they did mention that beaver has 3 teachers this year, instead of just one. maybe miss landers is having a baby ??

2) i am waiting to see if they mention wally being in 12th grade ? almost every year, they have mentioned both kid's grades at least once in an episode.

i suspect they already knew they were going to a 6th season, and wanted to keep wally in high school. so i dont think i am gonna hear about him being in the 12th grade.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
In one of the episodes I just watched ("Box Office Attraction"), Wally mentions that he's a senior and will be attending college next year. That episode is one of my favorites as Wally goes out with the cigarette smoking, beer swilling "fast girl". I knew it wouldn't happen, but part of me was rooting for Wally to say "aw, what the hell" and join in on the fun!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
interesting - you said you are in the 6th season.

maybe they knew it was their last by the time this episode is filmed ?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
2) i am waiting to see if they mention wally being in 12th grade ? almost every year, they have mentioned both kid's grades at least once in an episode.

i suspect they already knew they were going to a 6th season, and wanted to keep wally in high school. so i dont think i am gonna hear about him being in the 12th grade.
I thought the further along the show went, they stopped or greatly slowed mentioning what grade the boys were in simply to avoid making Wally too old to be in high school. Had the series kept going, Wally (and probably Eddie) would have just gone to college in town so the writers could keep the character at home and also have new story possibilities with Wally at college.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i searched, but could find nothing about why beaver was cancelled ?

with wally in college and beaver in high school, i think it could still have done well.

the only thing i wonder about though is whether they could have sold beaver as a boy the girls like. he did not have near the good looks that wally did.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
jimmyjet said:

with wally in college and beaver in high school, i think it could still have done well.

the only thing i wonder about though is whether they could have sold beaver as a boy the girls like. he did not have near the good looks that wally did.
He was sort of a "cutesy" kid in some ways. I don't know how well that would hold up, either.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
jimmyjet said:

Yeah, but remember how well he could dance (from the Record Club episode)??? Ha, ha.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
beaver, the bunny - for me, this was a weak episode.

the only other weak episode was early on, when chuckie thinks beaver got turned into a rock.

i guess that is pretty darn good, for all the episodes that they have had !!

i just did not think this episode had near the wit or charm that most of them do.

and it was not believable, for me. beaver is way too old to be dressed in a bunny suit.

no boy of that age at that time would have been willing to do that.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i just watched nobody loves me.

ouch - that was a good show, with some pretty deep meaning behind it.

and gus and miss landers returned.

but mr. blair is beaver's main teacher.

miss landers acted like she hadnt seen beaver since he was a little kid.

i dont suspect that she will be in many more of the episodes, at this point.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i thought beaver's typewriter was an exceptionally good show.

good lesson learned.

eddie was at his best !!

and wally and june had the cutest dialogue when he was telling her that he was studying with mary ellen !!!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
just watched one of the boys.

stephanie hill was in it - she was quite cute.

i dont recall her at all.

here is her url on imdb. i guess she never quite made it

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0384688/

litb discusses all sorts of relevant topics. this one was about joining a snobbish club.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
beaver and wally finished cutting the grass !!

and as suspected, they never mentioned the grade that wally was in !!

i know there have some replies of people liking the early shows better.

and at least one person said he liked the later shows better.

so far, i like every single year.

i think i am realizing why they still have beaver with the "girls are creepy" attitude - they could not sell him as a boy who liked the girls.

in fact, i think it might have had a lot to do with why the show was not continued.

beaver is simply getting too big at this point to really be believable about that.

although i think they could have extended the show if they had more of wally and eddie in college - there would have been a lot of stories for that.

and then let beaver play more of the normal boy, who likes girls, but is seen by the girls as just another boy - which is what most of us are !!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Gary OS said:
Jimmy, you are now into my favorite portion of the show. I've always liked S4-S6 better than the early years. And you've already named the reason why - the more frequent appearances of Eddie Haskel, Lumpy, and Julie Foster (Cheryl Holdridge). As you said, every time Eddie/Lumpy are in an episode, it increases the laughs and the enjoyment (at least for me it does). This dynamic finds its peak in Season Six, which happens to have some of the funniest episodes in the entire series. "Wally's Dinner Date", "Beaver the Sheepdog", "The Party Spoiler", "The Mustache", "The Credit Card", "Eddie's Sweater", and "Wally's Practical Joke" are all favorites of mine from that final season.

Gary "I know others feel strongly that the early seasons were the best - but I'm the odd man out on that opinion because I feel the exact opposite" O.
i have seen the first disc of season 6, now.

and i see what you mean.

lately, there is a new and pretty girl for wally every week !!

so far, the shows are still keeping a very high quality, but they are changing focus.

beaver is simply getting too old to play "the girls are creepy" line. and not believable as the lady killer. he is only a couple inches shorter than wally. as adults, tony ended up 5'8", and beaver 5'7" - so i am guessing that by now, they are getting close to full-grown ?

so wally and eddie are getting into the action a lot more.

i am enjoying these shows ever bit as much as when beaver was younger.

btw, i read that wally actually graduated from high school the year beaver ended. so he was actually playing a part one year older than he actually was, thru the whole series.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i just viewed the record club.

actually, beaver has more coordination than i thought. they had him doing a little dance.

but they referred to him as being in 8th grade. and he should only be in 7th, cuz he started season 1 in 2nd.

so they moved beaver up, and held wally back.

in reality though, tony is almost exactly 3 years older than jerry.

and if tony was graduating from high school (12 grade), jerry would have been in 9th grade in real life.

so when litb started, jerry was playing someone 2 years younger than him.

while tony was playing someone 1 year older than him !!

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
As the final season moves along, there are a lot of mentions about Wally being a high school senior and getting ready to head off to college soon.

I agree that every season is enjoyable. I especially love the screen time that Eddie and Lumpy get in the final season.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
In 1957-58, if Wally had been the age of Tony Dow, he should have been in 7th grade -- which would have worked out perfectly, because he'd have been a senior in high school in 1962-63. But for some strange reason that put him in 8th grade, so somewhere along the line it's implied he repeated a grade, which would be impossible for a perfect student and athlete like Wally.

In 1957-58, if Beaver had been the age of Jerry Mathers, he'd have been in fourth grade -- but they put him in 2nd grade. So in 1962-63, he should have been in 7th grade, but he was in 8th grade, which implied he skipped a grade, which is hard to believe for someone as dumb as Beaver.

In the real life of 1957-58, my older brother and I were in 7th grade and 2nd grade, which, as I said in this thread before, is where our resemblance to Wally and Beaver begins and ends.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
fred rutherford decided on getting a new gwen !!

he has been in it a lot more lately !!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
jimmyjet said:
i have seen the first disc of season 6, now.

and i see what you mean.

lately, there is a new and pretty girl for wally every week !!

so far, the shows are still keeping a very high quality, but they are changing focus.

beaver is simply getting too old to play "the girls are creepy" line. and not believable as the lady killer. he is only a couple inches shorter than wally. as adults, tony ended up 5'8", and beaver 5'7" - so i am guessing that by now, they are getting close to full-grown ?

so wally and eddie are getting into the action a lot more.

i am enjoying these shows ever bit as much as when beaver was younger.

btw, i read that wally actually graduated from high school the year beaver ended. so he was actually playing a part one year older than he actually was, thru the whole series.
One of the most interesting Beaver episodes for me occurs in Season 6. It is "Box Office Attraction," which I always think of as the bad girl episode. Wally asks out a nonhighschool girl who works at the local theater. She drinks, smokes and has no interest in her future. She even asks Wally to pull over the car so that they can neck but, of course, Wally refuses.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I like the "bad girl" episode as well. One of my favorites from this season (although I must say I like every episode of season 6) is "Beaver on TV" mainly for its takeoff on the "Twilight Zone" which was airing at the time but interestingly on another network. Also love the episode where Eddie, of course, gets into trouble with Wally while parking cars to earn some extra money.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i havent seen the bad girl or beaver on tv episodes yet.

but just saw the parking cars. with both fred and eddie in it, you could hardly miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks