1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Leave it to beaver season 3?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by marcSo, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Yeah, that's pretty bad. Even at a discount, these things are expensive. They are also supposed to look nice on your shelf, and that doesn't.

2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Mine had those fun plastic balloons to hold all that Beav in place. I miss my old dogs Bear and Goldie, they LOVED all packing material that would go BOOM! Bubble wrap was suddenly like Christmas. My current kids, Scooter and Honey don't know how to have fun with that stuff.

@ William. I wonder if the company would send you a new outer sleeve. That really sucks. Shame you can't wait until you've watched a bunch of them to hold you over. But I vote "Send it back". The edge of one of my seasons had a small punch in it, like a phillips head screwdriver size but not real deep. But the outer sleeve was perfect. I'm not sending mine back.

3. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Mine arrived a while ago. Outer Box undamaged, No floaters, all secure/tight fit on the hubs. I'd give B&N a "C+" or maybe a "B-" for packing though. They included one "air bubble" cushion on one side in the box but not on both sides so it did have some "rattle" to it before I opened it up.

Now, the "temptation tester", as I really liked Season's 5 & 6 the best.....do I begin viewing at S1 or skip to S5? Decisions.....I always watch in episode/season order so that's what I should do here. I think I'll give myself a treat though, and watch the S6 "jazzed up" intro as that's my favorite LITB episode theme.

First things first, removed all of the episode booklets...VP's idea

I have an easy question for any LITB expert: Which one is that famous "Beaver in the billboard soup dish" episode and what season?

4. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    TV.com is a good source for information like that. Here's what they say: Season 4, Episode 32 – Aired: 5/6/1961
    In the Soup Wally is throwing a party and is successful in getting Beaver out of the house, who is planning to spend the night at Whitey's. However, on the way to Whitey's house, him and Beaver get into an argument over a billboard that is advertising for soup and this leads to Beaver falling into the giant soup bowl mounted at the top of the billboard.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Whitey: "Beaver...put your foot on the lady's thumb!"

6. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland

LOL! Watched that one last night.

7. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Received my complete series set from B&N yesterday. I couldn't be more pleased. Shout! Factory is awesome. Beautiful packaging and great transfers. I am curious about the difference between the first two seasons and the rest regarding grain. Mind you I'm not complaining, I don't mind film grain. It's been suggested that perhaps the switch from Republic Studios to Universal was the cause, but I can't help wondering if becuase seasons one and two were previously released by Universal Home Video, maybe seasons 3-6 were brand new transfers made from scratch, and the first two seasons were just remastered from transfers already existing? Who knows, but I'm still thrilled with the whole set.

8. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I'm really enjoying my set too. Me and the kids (along with the wife when she's not doing something else) have been steamrolling through these discs since Thursday at about noon when my B&N package arrived. I started with the first S6 disc just for the heck of it, but then I forced myself to go back to S3 and start there. We are almost halfway done with that season now. Normally I'd slow this down but I kinda want to go through the discs quickly and make sure I don't have any defective ones where the set might need to be returned for a replacement. I know this is a limited number set so I'm not comfortable slow playing these only to find out, in... let's say a year, that I've got a bad disc or something and will need to send back the entire set just for one disc. I'm hoping Shout has the foresight to maybe keep about 2 or 3 dozen sets just so that they've got some replacement discs should someone write in and just need one disc replaced. But I have no idea how that would work and am hoping there'll be no reason for that.

Along those lines, this set was created very sturdy and I doubt they'll be many floaters as a problem.

Gary "none of my discs were loose and they all look 100% fine, so there's probably no need for worry on that front" O.

9. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

"So much for resisting S6 temptation". I popped in S6 D1 to hear that intro and coudn't stop watching that opening episode "Wally's Dinner Date". I did go "cold turkey" and ejected the disc after that. I'm going to start at the beginning of the series. I haven't seen those S1's in many years.

Agree with all here, the transfer Q is A+ for this vintage show, from the one S6 ep I've seen so far. I never owned the earlier S1-2 releases.

- Jeff "Nope, after Smallville last winter, I can't marathon anymore" W

10. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

11. Joe Lugoff

Joe

This was discussed at great length on the forums at Shout's website.

Their spokesman insists all six seasons were newly transferred.

In fact, the opening narrations in Season 1 are after the credits on the Shout set, and they were before the credits in the Universal sets. (They should be before the credits, so Shout has goofed there -- although the spokesman claims that's where they were on the original negatives.)

The best theory as to why there's grain in the indoor scenes the first two seasons, but not the last four, is, indeed, because filming switched from Republic to Universal. Apparently, at Republic, the lighting was dimmer or the film was cheaper, or something.

12. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Any issues outside of of the season 1 openings?

I don't mind feeling compelled to pick up the Universal sets if I decide it bothers me, but I would hate for there to be any issues in season 3 onwards.

13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland

I haven't heard about any, nor have I personally come across any. I've been bouncing around from Season Three to Season Six and have been thrilled with the quality of EVERYTHING so far.

Also, was very surprised to see Ryan O'Neal and Barbara Parkins guest starring. Didn't remember them on the show at all. From Mayfield to Peyton Place! LOL.

14. Joe Lugoff

Joe

So far, it seems the opening narrations (or "teasers") in Season 1 are the only problem.

Someone with original prints said the teasers definitely came before the credits in the original network run, which is where they were in the Universal set. They have been placed after the credits in the Shout set, with two exceptions: the teaser does come first in Episode 30, "Music Lesson"; and it's missing entirely in Episode 3, "The Black Eye".

This is a good reason to keep (or even get) at least the first season Universal set.

15. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I'm keeping my 1st season set from Universal, that's for sure. Other than the issue with the season 1 teasers being wrongly placed (and one teaser missing completely) another problem is the episodes were put on the discs in airdate order instead of production order. I am aware DVD studios usually go by airdate order, but for continuity purposes production order is really the right way to go. One example, in LITB season 6, Wally's License and Wally Buys a Car are actually the first two episodes. Third episode is Wally's Dinner Date and fourth is The Clothing Drive. To me, stuff like this is important and is why I believe production order is the proper way to go. I have the book The World According To Beaver, all 234 episodes are listed in the book by production order. Very helpful. One oddity though, Beaver's Poem was the 36th episode filmed and Beaver Runs Away was the 41st episode filmed. However, Beaver Runs Away aired as a late 1st season episode and Beaver's Poem aired as an early 2nd season episode. Another thing I question about the LITB complete set from Shout Factory is the shorter run times of some episodes. Hopefully the episodes are uncut as advertised and some episodes just originally ended up a little shorter then others.

The Dick Van Dyke Show DVD's is one set where the episodes are placed in production order. That is nice. I wish Shout Factory would start doing the same with their DVD sets, since they seem to be the main studio these days for classic TV on DVD. Do it right, guys!

16. Joe Lugoff

Joe
    This "production order" vs. "air order" has been debated quite a bit.

Often, production order was dictated by technical issues beyond the control of the creators.

The classic example of where production order is definitely wrong, compared to air order, is in "I Love Lucy." The fourth season two-part episode when Carolyn Appleby visits in Hollywood was filmed "Part 2, first - Part 1, second" strictly due to the fact that the original guest star in Part 1 wasn't available, and filming was delayed until a substitute could be found.

Those two episodes were shown in production order in syndication for years, and it was just dumb, because Carolyn was there and left in the first show, and she arrived in the second!

If the DVD had kept them in production order, it would have been dumb -- there's no earthly reason to watch a story with its two parts reversed just because that's the way they had to film it.

Another example: I believe "The Dick Van Dyke Show" filmed several "army flashback" episodes one after the other, because the sets were standing. They were never meant to be seen one after the other.

A book on "The Andy Griffith Show" referred to "air order" as "final editing" and said that's the way a series should be watched.

Of course, sometimes the network interferred and rearranged the air order, which clutters up this whole issue.

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

>>> "The Dick Van Dyke Show DVD's is one set where the episodes are placed in production order. That is nice. I wish Shout Factory would start doing the same with their DVD sets, since they seem to be the main studio these days for classic TV on DVD. Do it right, guys!"

18. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Airdate order vs. production order, I guess it really depends on each individual TV show. Going by airdate order sometimes results in continuity errors. I have the Get Smart DVD's, I would have preferred to have those episodes in production order. With The Dick Van Dyke Show, to be honest airdate order/production order, for that show either way is OK but I'm glad they went with production order. And yes they made the proper correction reversing the final two episodes, The Gunslinger followed by The Final Chapter. With Leave It To Beaver though, I really think continuity/production order would have been the better way to go, and that is the order I plan to watch the episodes when I receive the complete series set.

For those who are interested, here are the season 1 episodes of Leave It To Beaver in continuity/production order. I'll make separate posts for the other five seasons, so watch this thread.

1. Captain Jack

2. The Black Eye

3. Beaver Gets 'Spelled

4. Water, Anyone?

5. Wally's Girl Trouble

6. Part-Time Genius

7. New Neighbors

8. The Haircut

9. Brotherly Love

10. The Perfume Salesmen

11. The Clubhouse

12. Beaver's Short Pants

13. Beaver's Crush

14. Voodoo Magic

15. Party Invitation

16. Lumpy Rutherford

17. The Paper Route

18. Child Care

19. The Bank Account

20. Lonesome Beaver

21. The Perfect Father

22. Cleaning Up Beaver

23. The State vs. Beaver

24. Beaver And Poncho

25. The Broken Window

26. Train Trip

27. My Brother's Girl

28. Next-Door Indians

29. Music Lesson

30. Tenting Tonight

31. Beaver's Old Friend

32. Wally's Job

33. New Doctor

34. Boarding School

35. Beaver's Bad Day

36. Beaver Runs Away

37. Beaver And Henry

38. Beaver's Guest

39. Cat Out Of The Bag

19. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Season 2 episodes of Leave It To Beaver listed by continuity/production order:

40. Ward's Problem

41. Beaver's Poem

42. Beaver And Chuey

43. Lost Watch

44. The Pipe

45. Wally's Present

46. Her Idol

47. The Grass Is Always Greener

48. Beaver's Hero

49. Wally's New Suit

50. The Shave

51. The Visiting Aunt