What's new

Leave it to beaver season 3? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mike, great stuff there. I love it and I could picture it clearly in my mind. Coming from a divorced family, where things feel apart when I was only 4, I can only wish I had grown up in a household like the Cleavers.

Joe, I feel your pain there buddy. "Father Knows Best" is tops on my list of yet to be released sitcoms. In fact, other than "The Fugitive", it's my most desired dvd release. But if Universal shuts down LITB at 2 seasons I'd almost rather they had done nothing at all to begin with. I know that sounds extreme, and with most shows I'd just be happy to get what I could, but with this show I enjoy the later seasons even more than the early ones. Whetting my appetite for them and then pulling out the rug from underneath is nothing short of cruel and unusual punishment. Hopefully this is all just needless worry, and we will get word of season 3 soon.

Travis, I wish I could see it that way. You may be correct, but I tend to look at it the opposite. This isn't a new release we are talking about, so Gord/Dave needing to keep it under wraps doesn't make as much sense at this point. I'd think if they knew for sure that a 3rd season were on the way, they'd say something generic like, "Don't worry guys, more is coming." But to say nothing at all seems pretty damning, IMHO. Guess we will have to wait it out.

Gary "I really did expect Universal to keep this series on a strict bi-yearly release schedule and am shocked that we didn't get an October/November solicitation" O.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Heresy! Heresy, I say! Joe Lugoff: you can take such thoughts and stick them in a FKB thread somewhere!

:laugh:

I, too, feel the pain about the absence of Father Knows Best on DVD, Joe. But we could start quite a thread on the merits/comparisons of Jim Anderson vs. Ward Cleaver. Actually, that might be a lot of fun! :D

Gary: Be patient. Gord & Dave will report something when they know it. There's nothing they can do if Universal hasn't announced a plan.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Gary OS said:
Mike, great stuff there. I love it and I could picture it clearly in my mind. Coming from a divorced family, where things feel apart when I was only 4, I can only wish I had grown up in a household like the Cleavers.

What's a good age to introduce a child to Leave it to Beaver. I have my 5 year old granddaughter coming for 2 weeks during Christmas Vacation. She also comes from a broken home and my daughter and her are living with my Mom since my Dad passed away in July.

Does anyone have any experience with children this young watching the show? She is a big fan of Disney cartoon movies and has her town portable DVD player!

See what we missed out on!

I watched the show in the 50s, but I was in my early teens. I loved it, and so did my brothers.

I'm getting worried, too, about the delay for Season 3. Universal has a habbit of dropping the ball... I was really surprised when they announced Alfred Hitchcock 2!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

John: I'd say she'll love it. As "corny" as some kids today might find the situations and antics of Beaver and Wally, I think most would still be able to relate to the timeless situations which underly the premise. That is, forever getting caught in a bind and being afraid to turn to your parents. The one over-riding message I take away from the show is never be afraid to bring a problem you're having to your parent(s). What better message could kids get today...with all the decisions/problems facing them on a daily basis.

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
Will LITB become Universal's latest victim.along with adam 12.dragnet hardy boys kojak and others that I can't think of right now.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm one that liked the last 2 seasons better than the earlier ones. Not sure why but the last season was my favorite by a wide margin. I guess I like the "jazzed-up" theme intro :) I hope the series gets released for the fanatic fans here. I'm waiting for several other Universal "classics" and, reading these posts, I'm also concerned about Uni's older series possibly not selling well. It must be the case with some and not others. Example of a series that must have been selling well is Uni's "A-Team" as they released (with S5 coming) the entire series. "Columbo" is another example. I'd think that this is telling Uni that their "vault" series are selling well. Strange..... although after doing a quick check of some of my Uni sets, and here's a couple that haven't been continued or are in Uni's "Black Hole" of cancellations:

ADAM-12 SEASON 1
BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON SEASON 1
HARDY BOYS/NANCY DREW SEASON 1

If LITB isn't selling well, it wouldn't make sense to me at all. There's no figuring the TV/DVD market, I guess. It's the one thing that, as a TV/DVD collector, makes the hobby somewhat of a gamble when wanting to buy a complete series.

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
season 6 is my favorite.cmon universal please do not do this to us fans. I really want to see these episodes uncut.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I feel your pain, big time! Season 6 is a personal favorite for me, I think, because Wally, Eddie and Lumpy really jelled as a trio at that point. Everything they did was hilarious in that last season.

Gary "another week down, and still no announcement from Universal - how sad" O.

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
I was just wondering that as loyal fans of the LITB series, if anyone has contacted Universal (snail-mail, e-mail, phone, FAX.....whatever) and asked them about plans for the remaining seasons? (3-6?) I can't believe that they would just dump this project, especially with the relateivly quick releases of S1 and S2. S3-S6 get into some of the best storylines of the series!

We should contact Universal. I honestly think we will hear something by the end of October for an around Thansgiving to planned Christmas release!

Jack

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jack, if past history is any indicator, a studio will almost always give a 2 or 3 month advance notice on release dates. At this point, I seriously doubt we will see any LITB before Christmas, and if another week or two goes by without an announcement you can kiss any release goodbye until 2007.

Ok, here's my latest question. Has Universal announced their tv slate for the remainder of the year, or not?

Gary "it's hard to believe that Universal would abandon one of their all-time classics after only 2 releases" O.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Sorry....I have no news yet on Season 3 (but it'll come; my confidence hasn't fizzled out on that feeling)....

But I thought some LITB fans might be interested in listening to this recent audio interview with Tony Dow ("Wally Cleaver" himself). It's a fun piece, although Tony sounds like he might be a tad under the weather (or very sleepy, I don't know which), because there's not an abundance of enthusiasm exhibited here by Mr. Dow (who is 61 years old now, btw).

But perhaps he's tired of talking about his role as Wally on the show. Beats me. But it's fun to listen to anyway. .....

http://www.justmyshow.com/shownine.html

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
David, I'm glad hour confidence hasn't waned. I wish I could say the same about mine, but at this point I must confess that I'm worried about the series. I could see Universal giving Season three a thumbs up just to give the show once last chance to "produce" for them (whatever their expectations may be) in the spring of next year but then abandoning it after that.

I'll state this for the record - if Season 3 is released before the end of the year it will be good news that Universal is going to plow on through and finish the run, BUT, if Christmas passes and we haven't seen a release it's a very, very bad sign.

Gary "I'm still in shock that I'm even writing this - I would have never thought Universal would even hesitate on this series, but now I don't know what to think" O.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What can Al Bundy and Ward Cleaver possibly have in common? (Let's see Dave VP try to answer that one!!) :D

Well...to try and put Gary at peace and show there's still hope...

Gord Lacey today posted news of a December 19th release of Season 6 of Married With Children. This just shows that there can be an announcement this late in the year for a pre-holiday release. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just one thing to keep in mind (and keep the hope up), Universal is only releasing one Alfred Hitchcock Presents set per year so maybe they've just slowed down the LITB releases as opposed to stopping. Personally, I wouldn't worry until it's been over a year since S2 was released (May '07).

No one wants them to slow down but it beats dropping them.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I want this series completely released as I seem to like the last 2 years of this one better for some reason. One thing's certain: There's no predicting this TV/DVD business. All we can do is wait.

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
If LITB goes to a once a year release we would see season 6 in may 2010.way tooooooooooooooooooo long...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Mike, thanks for the pick-me-up. I realize that anything is possible, and that studios can make "late" announcements, but it's not all that common so I'm still in great doubt of a LITB Season 3 release before Christmas. Hope I'm wrong because I'll be the first to rejoice, but I don't think it's gonna happen at this point. And if we get to the end of this month without any news, it's certainly a no show until '07.

I'm certainly in the same camp as Jeff when it comes to my favorite seasons of the show. The last couple of years were easily the most entertaining for me, although I love the whole run. I think it's the interaction between Eddie, Lumpy and Wally that I enjoy the most in those last two years. By that time, Eddie had really established his "smart aleck" attitude, and I loved every second of it.

Gary "and I agree with marco that a once a year release is way too slow" O.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Hey gang, while we're all waiting for Season 3 to come out, I want you all to check out these videos I ran across on Youtube...It stars The Beav, Wally, Whitey, Larry Mondello and even Miss Landers! It's for Purina Dog Chow...Now why couldn't they include these little classics as extras on the DVD sets? How many more of these little gems exist I wonder:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks