Leather or cloth theater seats?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bobby B, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Bobby B

Bobby B Auditioning

My company is currently in the pre-design phase of designing our second theater recliner.

The designers are at a bit of a crossroads however because we are undecided on whether to go with a more
    sleek/sporty/leather based style, or instead choose a more "cozy/soft/plush" cloth based design.

I was thinking this would be the perfect place to get some opinions and feedback.

What is your personal preference? Leather or cloth?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Bobby Bala
    Operating Manager
    Renaissance Home Theater Seating

2. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Offer both, but not too many colors.

Leather is durable, but cold in the winter.

Cloth is warm, but not pop & popcorn proof.

3. Bobby B

Bobby B Auditioning

Makes Sense. My personal preference is cloth mainly because I live in a rainy climate but I think most people prefer leather. I really wish I would have gotten more feedback. It would have been very helpful. Thanks for your reply Philboy.

4. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

If you have a lot of kids coming, I say cloth but then I guess leather wouldn't be hard to clean (I guess).

5. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I think I am planning on going cloth when I upgrade. Leather looks great, and it wipes up easier, but its not as comfortable against bare skin. If I'm hanging out in shorts and a tank top, I think I would rather be sitting in cloth rather than sticking to leather. (yes it does get that warm in Canada) [​IMG]

By the way, the first line of chairs on your website look awesome!

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    My personal preference is leather. I just like the way it feels. Even with kids and the messes that go with it I still find leather easier to take care of and much easier to clean up after.

Parker

7. Dave Getson

Dave Getson Stunt Coordinator

I love my leather couch, and I really don't find that I stick to it as much as people think you would. Pleather, on the other hand, tears several layers of flesh off when you try to get up when you're stuck. It actually hurts when you peal yourself off.

Cloth is good too. I prefer solid colours on furniture, not like some of the la-z-boy patterns I've seen.

8. JayPo

JayPo Stunt Coordinator

I love leather, but it always seems to cost much less to go the fabric route. I considered price when I went with my home theater seating.

9. Pete H

Pete H Stunt Coordinator

Kids and the occasional wine spill make leather a must and well worth the additional cost.

10. Bobby B

Bobby B Auditioning

I've heard of a product called ScotchGuard. Apparently it's sprayed on fabric and most spills are repelled...kind of like those new Dockers pants. Has anyone tried this product before?

11. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

Bobby-- I can't tell if you were joking or not....

Just in case you were serious (or for others who have never heard of it), ScotchGard has been around for a half-century! I use it whenever I buy new furniture. The fabric treatment offered by most furniture stores is essentially a ScotchGard treatment. You can find it at most any grocery store or Wal-Mart, etc... about $5 a can. (Compare to the $75 treatment from a furniture store).

I suspect for it to be most effective, you need to re-apply every so often.

12. Brett Sw

Brett Sw Agent

We...no, excuse me...My wife bought a couch and chair (non-recliner [​IMG] )made out of the "Microfiber" fabric. Pretty downright comfortable if you ask me! It's closer to the feel of a real fine textured suede. I've personally seen water bead up on it and wipe right off with a paper towel. I've also spoke to a lady who's kid spilled mustard on their off-white couch with same fabric and it too wiped right off.

CAVEAT...We have only had them for two months, so I can't give my full endorsement until several hundred hours of couch-time have been logged.

13. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

Good quality (expensive) leather does not feel cold or clammy, however it is harder to clean.

My humble opinion is for leather. Most leather ages very well and cleans up extremely easy. My favorite cloth though would be Alcantra Suede which is man made. I have this in my truck (no joking) and it feels great and cleans up very well. It is expensive though.

14. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

Leather wins in my house everytime. With 4 kids, nothing beats the durability of leather.

15. Jon Gum

Jon Gum Stunt Coordinator

I would have to vote leather also - We went leather in our home theater and I will never look back. Leather warms up fast on cool days and feels great in the summer (no sticking). As long as you stay away from the cheap stuff, I think you will be happy with your product.

Good....cool......leather (should have been a marketing major).

Jon