Leather Coat Care

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Huber, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Chris Huber

Chris Huber Second Unit

Just got a new leather coat. I know that you can get the liquid leather conditioner for it, but what about protecting it from rain? Is there a spray or something for that? Does it work?

Let me know your experiences...

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

What type of leather is it? If it's lambskin, then use Pecard's leather LOTION http://www.pecard.com/. It's important you use lotion, because the other stuff is made with bees wax which will stiffen up your jacket a bit. If you have a goatskin jacket, there's no need to wheather proof it repells rain. Cowide is a bit heavy and I wouldn't put anything on it since it'll just make a heavy jacket even heavier.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

These rules apply to smooth cowhide only (not suede)

*Allow three months of wearing for "break in"

*When you get it home from the store, take the plastic bag of and leave it in a well ventilated area for a a day or five. Stores slather everything in the same fake "new leather" scent they use in cars because thats what they think people want. And it gets obnoxious if you have to wear the coat for more than an hour.

*Clean dirt off the coat with a moist cloth

*Buff in a layer of leather conditioner (usually a mink oil and pine pitch) every four months or so (twice as often if this is a motorcycle jacket which gets exposed to far more UV rays, sand, grit, & other junk)

*Once a year or so use a specific leather "dressing". This contains beeswax and/or silicon and blocks leather's pores. this is a waterproofing step. It also makes leather slightly stiffer and changes the smell. Of course if this isn't a wet-weather jacket, its an optional step.