1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

LEAST LIKELY BLU-RAY RELEASES

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Nick*Z, May 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mike Boone

Mike Boone Supporting Actor

Michael
    I'd like to see Goodbar show up on Blu-ray too. But I'd like to bring up one point of trivia regarding the film. I think Looking for Mr. Goodbar was ahead of its time in being one of the first movies to do a heavy amount of product placement.

If I recall correctly, in every scene where characters were shown drinking beer, whether in bars, or when partying at Tuesday Weld's apartment, for example, every beer shown was a product of the Miller Brewing company. I remember sort of getting a kick out of that because I was a Miller High Life drinker back when I saw Goodbar in a theater. I only saw LFMG twice, once in the theater, and another time on The Movie Channel. But I have a pretty sharp memory, as verified by friends and family that check out details of events that I recall.

And in the scene where beer containers are strewn in Tuesday Weld's apartment, after some partying, I specifically recall Lowenbrau beer being shown, even though I've never imbibed any of that stuff myself. A little checking with Wikipedia indicates that Lowenbrau, at the time Goodbar was filmed, was a relatively new addition to the Miller company's stable of beers, as the company did not acquire the North American distribution rights to the brand until 1975. I guess Miller might have seen a high profile Hollywood film, based on a best selling book, as a good way to help raise public awareness about its newest label.

2. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Hi Mike!

Oops, I did misread that! I had assumed it to be some sort of combined total, including revived Cinematic reissues.

Speaking of gross, here's an "iconic" moment from THE CREEPING TERROR that some may think falls into that realm:

a25250dc6ec99e1a5670b1d6c2dedf380a46f84.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

P.S. Good luck to your Cleveland Cavaliers!

3. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs

Close Encounters has a shocking amount of product placement. There's an entire beer ad playing on screen while Dreyfus builds the Devil's Tower replica in his living room:

[​IMG]

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I watched, well tried to watch La Mancha last month on TCM HD. Sorry couldnt watch it. awful although I do understand the fan base for it.

Anyway least likely is probably Song of the South.

Roger Corman's Fantastic Four which isn't awful, not great but not awful.

Some of my favorite movies

Stealing Home
    The Hired Hand

Corvette Summer

Theatrical version of The Natural

The Iron Giant

Shopgirl

Quatermass and the Pit

And My 3 favoite movies

Somewhere In Time

On Borrowed Time

Heaven Can Wait

Sam Posten likes this.
  5. jauritt

jauritt Stunt Coordinator

Jay Auritt
    You're probably right, but since it was a Columbia release, I wouldn't give up hope completely...Twilight Time has done business with them many times in the past.

David Weicker likes this.
  6. Mike Boone

Michael
    Yes, and isn't McDonald's shown early in Close Encounters losing its lighting? Portrayal of actual existing brands in movies, which seems to have

started in the 1970s is such a far cry from older Hollywood films where people would jump into a taxi with a company name like The Acme Taxicab Company. That name Acme was used for all different sorts of businesses in the older films. I'm almost surprised that there was never an Acme house of ill repute ever shown. Of course the creators of modern movies have a good argument that if one is to portray modern life realistically, characters should be presented as seeing the kinds of things we all see every day.

BTW, consider how Close Encounters and Looking For Mr. Goodbar came out within weeks of each other. Goodbar was released Oct 19 1977 and Close Encounters was released Nov. 17 1977.

And, I suddenly feel sort of silly talking about how old films used to use the name Acme for everything, because the closest and most convenient super-market for my wife and me, here in Northeast Ohio, is the Acme grocery store.

7. Mike Boone

Michael
    Hi Ya Tony

Wanted to ask you, is The Creeping Terror one of those "so bad it's good movies" like Plan 9 From Outer Space?

It does sound like the movie's monster moves so slowly that a 600 pound blind man in a wheelchair with chewing

gum on its tires could easily get away from it.

And thanks for the kind words for the Cavs. I live 30 miles south of Cleveland and I think the morale of the people of

that city could really use the boost that winning any national sports title would provide. I'm not much of a sports fan

but I'm well aware that no city in America that has major sports teams has suffered the overall lack of national

championships that Cleveland has. The city's football team, the Browns, has never even been in, much less won, a

Super Bowl. Fans of Cleveland sports teams have had their hopes dashed so often that I've begun to believe that the

people that really benefit from the misadventures of the city's teams are the psychiatrists and psychologists who treat

deeply depressed die-hard sports fans.

It's a shame that anyone living more than 300 or 400 miles from that city, upon hearing the word Cleveland, probably

first thinks of it as the place where 3 young girls were held captive by a pervert for 10 years. And the second thing

that strangers to Cleveland might remember is that the river that runs through it, the Cuyahoga, once caught fire due

to all the chemicals that were polluting it. Even some native Clevelanders refer to their city (in jest, I hope) as The Mistake

By The Lake.

Anyhow, I apologize to my fellow HTF members for my little tangent away from this thread's subject.

And you have a great evening, up there in the North, Tony. Take care.

Mike

Tony Bensley likes this.
  8. Oblivion138

Oblivion138 Second Unit

James O'Blivion
    The Creeping Terror is more "so bad, it's awful." haha Apparently, the sound equipment was lost or destroyed early on in the shoot, and there was no money to replace it...which results in many scenes where we see two characters having a conversation, and a narrator tells us in voiceover what they're talking about. It's THAT kind of movie. haha And yes, the monster is basically a big carpet thing that is so slow and unwieldy that its victims basically have to climb into it and feed themselves to it. Definitely worth a look if you want a laugh. It was also featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000, and their riffing of it was pretty damn funny. Might be your best bet for getting through the movie unscathed. ;)

Tony Bensley likes this.
  9. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I'm surprised I never thought of this one before: a multi-million dollar production directed by the director of Dr. No and From Russia with Love; with a cast that included Laurence Olivier, Jacqueline Bisset, Ben Gazzara, Toshiro Mifune and Richard Roundtree; with a musical score by Jerry Goldsmith; and cinematography by Bruce Surtees.

It has never been released in any format, and I can't imagine that it ever will be (though I'd love to see it -- there's a certain grandeur to a spectacular big-budget bomb). The name:

Inchon.

Mike Boone likes this.
  10. Message #110 of 119 Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    DaveM4964

DaveM4964 Agent

Davey Meredith
    Good News!
    Legend of Boggy Creek is coming to Blu-ray in 2019! Original elements have been found and the movie is being restored. I'm really looking forward to this one! It will also be returning to theaters next year. I read this on the Fouke Monster Facebook Page. This is way overdue!

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/texarkana/story/2018/aug/01/gettin-boggy-it/736988/

11. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    STATE FAIR (1933), EAST LYNNE (1930), RHE WHITE PARADE (1934), THE PATRIOT (1928), basically anything PARAMOUNT...

12. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Tony,

even the CINEMATIC cesspool every-once-in-while just baffles the mind, yes by all accounts it's a horrible film, but guess what, it has a blu ray release

[​IMG]

under $15 you can challenge yourself to sit through it, ;)

Tony Bensley likes this.
  13. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Reggie W likes this.
  14. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, I know and it seems incredible to me that it is actually happening! I mean we have got two pictures I thought it was highly unlikely we would ever see in the same year...this and Welles' The Other Side of the Wind. And it is sort of fun Hopper is in both of them.

When Hopper made this picture the knives were out for the guy and probably a good deal of that was his own fault. He did really seem to be in full asshole mode when he was making The Last Movie and did a fine job of destroying his career for some time.

I do think Hopper was a very talented filmmaker though and really a guy with a great eye for photography so maybe his film can get a fair assessment now all these years later. I'm sure it won't win over everybody...it's just not that kind of film...but it is likely not the total disaster a few (angry) people labeled it back then.

15. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    it appears that this will be one of the few region B locked titles that Powerhouse/Indicator has released, but you never know

16. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    It also has an US release through the company that did the restoration work on it. I have that version pre-ordered it comes out this Tuesday. Same set of extras I believe so I think Indicator is just releasing their disc in the UK.

17. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    It's extremely unlikely that any films in the second DVD box set of Esther Williams movies will ever be released on Blu-ray disc. First, the DVDs make clear that a lot of work would be required to make the elements compatible with Warner Archives' high standards, and second, it is obvious that Warner Archives has little respect or enthusiasm for the great female stars in their huge back catalog, with the one splendid exception of Cyd Charisse. Bette Davis, Greer Garson, Ann Sheridan, Lana Turner, Esther Williams are all diligently ignored by Warner Archives.

Andrew Budgell likes this.
  18. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I'm not sure if it's a matter of respect for those actresses, or more of an acknowledgment that the sales numbers for the DVDs weren't where the studio wanted them to be. I'm a fan of Esther Williams and my wife and I are currently working our way through her filmography, and of course I would be delighted to have the chance to have them in HD and on Blu-ray.

I think the bigger obstacle is that most catalog titles on BD can only be counted on to sell a couple thousand copies at best. Warner Archive has a $21.99 SRP for their discs, but they usually street around $17.99, and they do several sales a year where they're only $11 each. I have no idea what their replication costs are and what their overhead is, but they're probably not getting a ton of money per each unit sold. The margins on all of this stuff are razor thin. I think it's more likely that there are a lot of scenarios where they know a disc release at best might bring in $10,000, and that the cost of preparing new HD masters in the quality they require just ends up being significantly more than that.

I think the biggest difference between the time of the Esther Williams movies coming out on DVD vs. where the market is today is that a mass audience no longer buys discs on a whim; they're far more likely to stream a title or forgo it altogether. And because disc buying isn't a priority for the average consumer, retailers won't carry a wide selection like they used to because the product no longer sells, which further limits the amount of exposure a title can get, which limits the amount of sales made, and so everything gets stuck in this downward spiral.

If you look at what Warner Archive is putting out on BD these days, it looks like a cross-section of genre fare (which still has some sales power on physical media) as well as films that don't require extensive restoration/remastering work. To be clear, I'm just as disappointed at the lack of releases for titles like this that would be wonderful to have - but I just don't think it's fair to cast all of that blame on the studio. The marketplace has changed and audience preferences have changed.

Within the past month or so, Paramount has released two high profile titles in new 4K UHD restorations on digital only - War Of The Worlds last month, and It's A Wonderful Life coming later this month. Paramount has publicly stated that they have no plans to release these new 4K restorations on physical media at all, not on BD, not on UHD. If Paramount doesn't think a new disc of It's A Wonderful Life could turn a profit on disc, what chance does a lesser known Esther Williams title have?

19. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    I posted this three years ago. Woman on the Run was an Alpha title I had which made it to blu ray..otherwise, my Alpha Video collection,including Rogues Tavern, The Wayne Murder Case, Ring of Terror, I Accuse My Parents,Tomorrow at Seven and Timetable all feel unlikely. I can see Timetable happening one day. The Whistler on Blu ray is probably unlikely. Im sure there are lots of silents and 30s titles in my Warner Archive Collection that are unlikely.. I guess you can never tell ..but Across to Singapore, High Wall, The Hard Way, Paid among others feel unlikely.
    The Flame Barrier, Monstroid and the Keep still aren't likely either..
    The Bat, The Bat Whispers arent too likely but if they happen I can see Flicker Alley doing them..