What's new

LEAST LIKELY BLU-RAY RELEASES (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Russell G said:
Thanks for that. sounds like the bee's knees. If it was available in Canada I'd be all over it since the MOD discs are a rip-off for us.

You can get it in Canada, but it requires a bit of extra effort.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
"Like to watch High Definition films that aren't available on blu-ray?" Not really, if we can't include purchase or burn-to-own. which is at the crux of "least likely blu-ray releases" as it applies to Warners. Whether subscription or not, this service is exactly why beloved films will not make it to HD disc. I know this has been discussed on other threads, but so has "streaming options". I like the WB MOD program myself and order from them regularly, thankful that streaming is NOT only way I would get these beloved movies. Just wish they'd get on the blu-ray wagon with a few more pre-60's classics.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Ed Lachmann said:
Whether subscription or not, this service is exactly why beloved films will not make it to HD disc.

A number of the Warner Archive Blu-ray releases were first available to stream in HD on the Instant channel, so this isn't true at all. Ideally, it coexists with a stepped up Blu-ray release schedule from Warner.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Warner Archive only exists due to them deciding long ago that there was no longer a market for catalog titles. The streaming site had nothing to do with it. If anything, the streaming site will potentially show which films are popular enough to consider for future physical releases.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
George Feltenstein is on record as saying that having an HD streaming version of a title is insufficient for Blu-ray release, and that additional work is needed to bring them to the standard they have for their BD releases. So while I'm sure it's likely that titles that show up in HD on the streaming channel are possibilities, it's not exactly an automatic process, and one shouldn't assume that a release is pending based on the streaming version.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brandon Conway said:
George Feltenstein is on record as saying that having an HD streaming version of a title is insufficient for Blu-ray release, and that additional work is needed to bring them to the standard they have for their BD releases. So while I'm sure it's likely that titles that show up in HD on the streaming channel are possibilities, it's not exactly an automatic process, and one shouldn't assume that a release is pending based on the streaming version.

Yes, this is a large part of it. Their consumer standard for blu-ray is not the same as Kino Video's or Olive's (among others), the latter which are simply straight, raw remasters with little to no additional digital touch-ups done to them (i.e. removing ever little tiny speck). The Streaming service is essentially a stop-gap for those that want to see these in HD regardless.

One thing that seems sure is that the WAC-exclusive films (those never released by WHV or TCM) will probably not get wider blu-ray releases in the near future.

As you say, many of the WAC-esclusive titles in HD don't have the extra budget given to them to be 100% immaculate, which tends to be the standard for their blu-ray releases. They aren't because, let's face it, the vast majority of the films within the WAC are too obscure to warrant the studio spending millions on immaculate HD masters. Hence, they generally go for films that have already been handled by WHV, which tend to (but not always) to have already had the extra digital work done for them.

That's not to say that all WAC/WHV releases on blu-ray are perfect, but those that aren't tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I'd like to offer my nominations for the 2 films least likely to ever be offered in any 1080p format.(at least, if any sanity still prevails on this crazy planet)

Nominee #1 (The Most Least Likely Flick To End Up Peeing On 1080p Fans) That immortal 1966 classic "Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter"

Nominee #2 (And calling it number 2 is an apt physical description for it, but because zombie themed flicks are currently in vogue, this atrocious travesty is only the 2nd Most Least Likely Flick To Get To Make 1080p Viewers Feel Like They're Sitting In Some #2)

So without further adieu, that deserving #2 is:-

-1964's most heaping pile of celluloid excrement: "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies"

But being what it's promoters called history's First Monster Horror Rock Musical, TISCWSLABMUZ could at least lay claim to being "ground breaking", even if that ground seemed to have been broken in a cow pasture. (Actually, TISCWSLABMUZ may be history's most wind breaking musical)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP ZOMBIES isn't even 1964's worst Film, in my opinion!

This dubious honor instead, goes to THE CREEPING TERROR. Believe me when I say this makes TISCWSLABMUZ look like an Academy Award Winner, by comparison! Ed Wood's work was less unconvincing than a Carpet Creature, that sprouted many pairs of Human Legs, and "crawled" around very slowly, "devouring" victims that appeared to provide more than a bit of assistance in allowing the Creature to complete this task! Amazingly, according to information on its Wikipedia page, TCT has a total gross of $140,000,000 in 2011 US Dollars!

Perhaps a Blu-ray Release isn't all that unlikely, after all? :P

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Tony Bensley said:
THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP ZOMBIES isn't even 1964's worst Film, in my opinion!

This dubious honor instead, goes to THE CREEPING TERROR. Believe me when I say this makes TISCWSLABMUZ look like an Academy Award Winner, by comparison! Ed Wood's work was less unconvincing than a Carpet Creature, that sprouted many pairs of Human Legs, and "crawled" around very slowly, "devouring" victims that appeared to provide more than a bit of assistance in allowing the Creature to complete this task! Amazingly, according to information on its Wikipedia page, TCT has a total gross of $140,000,000 in 2011 US Dollars!

Tony

Hi Ya Tony:

I'm glad I came back to my computer and saw your post. It looks like you win the point on this one, buddy.

Many may debate the accuracy of IMDB in assessing quality, but when it comes to judging 2 crappy films

like you and I have brought up, I just have a feeling they are pretty good at assessing the finer points of foulness

between a rotten egg and a turd.

You contend that The Creeping Terror deserves the crown for crap and IMDB gives it a 2.1 rating as a result

of averaging the votes of 3,412 viewers.

And I lose because The Incredibly Strange Creatures.....has a slightly less crappy 2.2 IMDB rating from 3,786

viewers. However, Tony, I must register a protest for you claiming that your crap movie makes my crap movie-

-"look like an Academy Award Winner." That certainly seems to me to be a rank exaggeration about something

that is pretty damned rank. You should admit that your 2.1 to my 2.2 means that you only won the crap competition

by a hair, but it being Sunday, I'm not going to name what kind of hair that might be.

Anyhow, maybe next time I'll come up with a movie so rank, so foul, you'll have to skip your next meal just from

imagining the foul, disgusting, terror of it.

Anyway, take care Tony, and have a good night.

Now, I just wonder if The Creeping Terror is available on Amazon.

Until next time, buddy.

Mike

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Here's one I'm pretty sure will never see the light of day on Blu-ray, as it has never been released in any format:

Slaves (1969), Dionne Warwick's first — and last — attempt at acting, directed by ex-blacklistee Herbert "Salt of the Earth" Biberman. Ossie Davis and Stephen Boyd are her co-stars.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
MatthewA said:
Here's one I'm pretty sure will never see the light of day on Blu-ray, as it has never been released in any format:

Slaves (1969), Dionne Warwick's first — and last — attempt at acting, directed by ex-blacklistee Herbert "Salt of the Earth" Biberman. Ossie Davis and Stephen Boyd are her co-stars.

Matthew, since Stephen Boyd was the co-star of Ben-Hur and the hero of The Fall Of The Roman Empire, I always sort of wondered what happened to him. Now you just may have answered that question. "Empire" in 1964, the later of the 2 massive Roman epics that Boyd was in, lost a lot of $, but still, it did receive a good deal of critical acclaim.

However, with Slaves, when Mr Boyd was informed that his leading lady would be a singer making her film acting debut, maybe he should have

realized that was his cue to head for the hills. I always did like Ms Warwick's music, though, especially "I'll Say A Little Prayer For You."

Also, now upon looking up Slaves on Wikipedia, I got a kick out of the fact that Wikipedia lists the release date for the film as July 2 1969.

That was the day I turned 18, which, among other things, meant that a young man in my home state of New York was legally able to buy and

consume any kind of alcoholic beverage. (years later the legal drinking age was raised to 21)

Just want to quickly point out for my fellow HTF members that the summer of 1969 may stand in American history as containing more landmark

news events in a single 30 day period than at almost any other time. Between July 18 and Aug 17 1969 Ted Kennedy was involved with the

drowning of Mary Jo Kopechne at Chappaquiddick, Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, (2 days after Chappaquiddick) the Manson family

committed the slaughter that included the murder of actress Sharon Tate, (the wife of Roman Polanski) and the 3 day Woodstock music festival

took place. With all of those events going on in such a short, concentrated period, newsroom editors must have almost felt like their heads were

exploding. And I can only imagine the amount of coffee consumption.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Mike Boone said:
I'd like to offer my nominations for the 2 films least likely to ever be offered in any 1080p format.(at least, if any sanity still prevails on this crazy planet)

Nominee #1 (The Most Least Likely Flick To End Up Peeing On 1080p Fans) That immortal 1966 classic "Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter"

Nominee #2 (And calling it number 2 is an apt physical description for it, but because zombie themed flicks are currently in vogue, this atrocious travesty is only the 2nd Most Least Likely Flick To Get To Make 1080p Viewers Feel Like They're Sitting In Some #2)

So without further adieu, that deserving #2 is:-

-1964's most heaping pile of celluloid excrement: "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies"

Truth be told, since those ones are pretty solid Cult films, they probably have a better chance than most of the movies mentioned in this thread to get a deluxe bluray release. :P

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Russell G said:
Truth be told, since those ones are pretty solid Cult films, they probably have a better chance than most of the movies mentioned in this thread to get a deluxe bluray release. :P

Russell, when you say "pretty solid Cult films" I'm hoping you mean "solid" in the sense of comparing the excrement a person usually expels,

with the sort of thing that drips out when one has "the runs" while he is sick.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Mike Boone said:
Russell, when you say "pretty solid Cult films" I'm hoping you mean "solid" in the sense of comparing the excrement a person usually expels,

with the sort of thing that drips out when one has "the runs" while he is sick.

Gross, but no. Both have a following that would happily buy them. "Strange Creatures" is a lot of fun actually.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Russell G said:
Gross, but no. Both have a following that would happily buy them. "Strange Creatures" is a lot of fun actually.

I appreciate that Russell. If only most of our politicians displayed your courage in expressing what they actually

think, instead of what just seems most popular to them.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Never underestimate the following of Ray Dennis Steckler.

And those sixties films are light years better than where he ended up in the seventies... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU6skni_aEISvV6eQZ_vEHwA&v=QRPygp4G3bE

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I would add to my list of "least likely to appear on blu-ray" this one from the late great Dennis Hopper:

LAST MOVIE.jpg

Making my list so far:

The Devils.jpg

Looking-for-Mr-Goodbar.jpg

And the above Hopper film.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Tony Bensley said:

Tony
Tony, another look at Wikipedia will show you that The Stewardesses, not The Creeping Terror was being credited with the 140 mill gross.

"The Creeping Terror was directed, produced, and edited by Vic Savage under the alias A.J. Nelson. Although Robert Silliphant is the credited writer,

the original story was written by his younger brother,Allan Silliphant, who went on to produce, write and direct the 3-D adult feature film The Stewardesses (1969) (under the name Al Silliman Jr.), the only micro-budget film of the 1960s or 1970s to become the #1 film on the weekly Variety box-office chart (it finally grossed over $140,000,000 in 2011 U.S. dollars)"

But, just think how truly "gross" it would have been if there had been enough brain damaged people to allow The Creeping Terror to gross that much.

That would have been a terror in itself.

And Cheers to you up in the Canadian north.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks