1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

LEAST LIKELY BLU-RAY RELEASES

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Nick*Z, May 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I would put Looking for Mr. Goodbar at the top of this list as well, as it seems a tangle of rights issues (not to mention it being a Paramount title who seem uninterested in their back catalog) and costs keeps this film off the shelves.

Mike Boone likes this.
  2. avroman

avroman Stunt Coordinator

Warren Thomson
    I'd love to see Robert Altman's "Brewster McCloud" on Bluray.

Mike Boone and Reggie W like this.
  3. Martin_Teller

Martin_Teller Stunt Coordinator

Martin Teller
    Most of the people in this thread are replying to the title without reading the first post.

4. Mike Boone

Mike Boone Supporting Actor

Michael
    Paul Scott, I'm really glad that you have brought up Looking For Mr Goodbar, since, IMHO, no retrospective of Diane Keaton's work would be complete without it including some of the range she demonstrates in Goodbar.

Also, I can never forget that the film was a topic of conversation when I met a young lady in a bar back in December 1977, here in Ohio. What turned into a 2 year relationship, including us living together, began rather awkwardly, with Char admitting that she had her hesitations about me because I bore somewhat of a resemblance to a character in the film. I saw no resemblance, but, certainly, if I'd had the white hair back then, that I have now, it's very doubtful that sort of thought would ever have occurred to Char, if she wasn't just pulling my leg about the whole thing, anyway.

5. Musicman76

Musicman76 Auditioning

greg
    I too like the film of "Man of La Mancha" which has gotten better with age. GIve it another try

6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    There are portions of it that are effective, and the cast plays their roles effectively, but all in all, the movie lets down its wonderful score. O'Toole's dubber isn't a compelling singer, Loren can't handle the extensive vocal range of her role, Coco sings down the octave on occasion, and some wonderful songs have been omitted.

7. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

One of the worst examples of hiring stars who can't sing for a musical. It doesn't always fail, but 9 times out of 10...

8. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    PAINT YOUR WAGON is another example of this. We all know how great a singer Harry Belafonte is but even he had his voice dubbed for CARMEN JONES. How stupid was that?

9. bujaki

bujaki Cinematographer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Belafonte is not a trained opera singer, but a wonderful crooner. CARMEN JONES, although a "popular" version of Bizet's opera, still requires "better" trained voices.

10. Erik_H

Erik_H Stunt Coordinator

I would add "Lucky Lady" to the list. Fox's big budget flop from 1975 with Gene Hackman, Liza Minnelli and Burt Reynolds was never released on videotape (at least not in the US), and didn't debut on DVD until a few years ago via Shout Factory.

Side note: in 2013, "Lucky Lady" director Stanley Donen joined a class action lawsuit against four studios (including Fox) alleging underpayment of home video royalties. Donen's complaint filed with the court used "Lucky Lady" as an example. Merits of the case aside, using a film with close to zero US home video revenue (and to the extent the film was released on home video elsewhere, it probably didn't generate much revenue) to illustrate underpayment of home video royalties seems an odd choice.

11. cinemiracle

Peter
    LUCK LADY was a very tedious bore.I saw it is 70mm originally .

12. cinemiracle

Peter
    I did give it another try and watched it last night. It has not gotten better with age and the film never rises above ground level. Very flatly directed and such a waste of the talent involved..

13. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

If WA is the guage then this is not happening anytime soon. Their Mod disc program is still doing very well while their streaming service is doing very poorly.

Ed Lachmann and Flashgear like this.
  14. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Song of Norway has only been released on DVD pan and scanned.

Here is a comparison of the DVD to a 16mm anamorphic print I use to have.

It was promoted as being in Cinerama in the UK.

[​IMG]

ahollis likes this.
  15. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    I hope the damned streaming service dies writhing in agony. Maybe then we'll finally see a few of their thousands of great classic films made available in BD form for purchase. Thank God, more people than they thought want classic films to own.

atfree likes this.
  16. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'm the opposite. I'd rather stream the movies then spend $18 on an MOD dvd. Sadly, none are available in Canada so my choice tends to be "no sale" regardless.

17. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    I suppose it might be interesting if streaming-only songs would replace ownership, too. Each time you'd want to hear say "Blackbird" by the Beatles you'd have to pay Polygram or whomever a one time only listening fee, and this is for each and every time you wanted to hear it. Mercifully, after purchasing MP3s you're at least capable of burning a CD-R of it to put on your shelf. Once upon a time one would have to go to a concert hall to hear music or a movie theater to enjoy a film. Then came cylinders, records and CDs. Much later movie fans had tapes, DVDs and blu-rays. Nice to see Warners is hell bent on taking everyone backwards into the "theater". Fortunately, some can see it for the scam it really is.

18. trajan

trajan Screenwriter

lar
    MY FAIR LADY

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'm under the impression that the archive is a streaming service similar to Netflix. If it's what's described above where you have to pay for each title in order to stream, then yeah, total waste of time.

The flip side is companies like Vinegar Syndrome whose archive completely outweighs it's ability to financially release every title on blu/dvd. So their upcoming streaming site will be a boon to those who want to actually be able to view all the films they have, in full 2K/4k restorations. It will be a monthly pay service, like Netflix.

This is a whole other can of bees though that can be discussed to death in it's own thread.

20. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

Yes, the Warner Archive is a subscription streaming service similar to Netflix. At the risk of self-promotion, here's a detailed review of it I wrote a couple of weeks ago: http://www.bigscreenclassics.com/2015/05/video-streaming-review-warner-archive.html

Josh Steinberg likes this.