Least expensive sound card with digital output? SPDIF?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris PC, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Just wondering what the lesser expensive sound cards with digital output SPDIF? C-media? Aopen? Zoltrix? Sound Blaster 4.1? I need to find something really cheap, as this is a temporary fix.

thanx

[​IMG]

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

a cheapo C-media will probably be your best bet

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Frankly I'm confused. What do I need to pass digital audio out to my receiver? I want to pass DD AC3 and DTS along with digital PCM 2.0 dolby stereo of course. Do I need something special? Does my software have to be special or can it just pass along the digital audio through to the receiver?

Incidentally, my SB PCI 128 has an option to change the output to "digital" or "analog". Is this a downmixed audio from the sound card or is that raw digital? Only one way to find out [​IMG]

thanx

Chris

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Its downmixed PCM 2.0 stereo [​IMG]

Is there no way I can output bitstream on my SB 128 card?

What is responsible for the bitstream? Software? Soundcard drivers? Soundcard hardware?

Any links to sound cards with SPDIF for use with bitstream digital passthrough?

Which DVD software players support digital passthrough?

thanx

[​IMG]

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Success! (?) I was able to get DD AC3 [​IMG] on my receiver via my SB 128's digital output, but no luck with DTS! [​IMG]

In my Matrox Cinemaster/Ravisent Software DVD player I was able to choose "digital Passthrough" but it only shows AC3. I was able to get DD on my receiver, the indicator lights lit up and sure enough, I was playing back DD AC3 via COAX cable from the 1/8" stereo jack on the back of my SB 128.. Only using one of the RCA's from the 1/8" jack of course. It seemed quieter and possibly less dynamic and crisp than my DVD players TOSLINK connection to the receiver, but I can't say 100%.

So I wonder if there is some kind of fix I must attend to with the software DVD player. I could always just use another software DVD player.

So my PCI SB 128 is outputting DD AC3 via digital passthrough via the speaker jack. My receiver lights up DD and shows all the channels in the encoded signal. If this is happening, then its working right? I mean, the DD I'm getting is the bitstream, correct?

thanx for any info,

[​IMG]

6. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I was gonna say the 128 will work perfect thats what I used to use in my system, very basic card but very reliable spidf output as well and it will pass DTS which not all digital out cable devices will.

8. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

the ability to pass DD and DTS require the cooperation of the driver and the playback software. the PCI128 driver should be ok, so most likely your dvd playback software is to blame (and from the looks of it - an older version of cinemaster - that's probably it)

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The volume control has no affect at all in the dvd player software and the sound blaster soundcard drivers. The speaker volume control on the desktop has no affect either.

I'll just look into the software dvd player.

thanx folks [​IMG]

10. JeremyFr

when you're using the digital out and passing dd/dts you will not be able to use the volume control, you cannot change volume on pure data being passed, all the digital out is doing is passing the data from the DVD to your decoder where you then have volume control.

11. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I've got a Gigabyte mobo sitting here with built in AC97 Audio. It has the speaker out, line and mike in's. There is a setting under advanced volumne controls for enabling SPDIF, and then I have winDVD set to do passthrouh. However, I don't get any audio from it like you do. Any hints?

I use a stereo to rca cable and then a digital coax (rca) cable to the receiver. Tried from L and R on the cable.

Thanks

12. JeremyFr

Try using PowerDVD as it has the best audio support available in playback software and does great at passing both DD and DTS audio also typically most sound cards output digital audio through the right side of the y cable notice I say most.

Jeremy