Least expensive 6.1 w/ component video sw

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barry.Evans, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

After the purchase of a new 48" Mitsubishi HD widescreen and the sale of all my old stereo gear I'm looking to purchase a A/V Reciever to go with the TV.

I'd like to place the componet rack away from the TV given the layout of the room. Hence I'd like a receiver that does component video switching so that I can place the progressive dvd player & other components in the rack. Using the component video feed for all sources (Component/RCA/S-Video) to the TV.

I assume that component video switching recievers handle the translation of S-Video to component output? yes/no?

I'm am now utterly confused as to my choices. I *think* I want component video switching. And I loved DVD-A disks and plan on adding SACD title to my collection.

What reciever would fill my needs w/o being excessively expensive?

I looked at the HK AVR-520 but am shying away from it b/c of quality concerns and the lack of 6th channel amp to support DVDA/SACD or DTS-ES (I think I would add a rear-center in the not so distant future.)

Second choices was the Marantz SR6300 but that lacked component video switching.

Do I really need to shell out $700-800 for a Marantz SR7300?

-Barry

2. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    How many component devices do you have? I have the Kenwood VR-6060. It has 2 component inputs /w 1 out. It also has 6CH inputs and it does DTS-ES. Got it for $379 at Best Buy.

3. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

Thanks Bob - I was pretty far into my research still thinking it'd convert s-video to component... Guess they're still working on that.

Anyhow - Thanks for the very informative post, now I just need to find a S-Video enabled VCR for cheap to go with the HK-AVR525 I just bought.

Thanks - Barry

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You need to find a SVHS unit because these are the only VCR's that offer SVideo output.

If you dont watch a lot of tapes, you can buy a cheap $20 Composite-to-SVideo converter from Radio Shack and let the old family VCR appear to be an SVideo source. The quality is ... so so, but frankly my VCR is basically a dust-collector.

If you do a lot of time-shifting of shows, look into a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) like Tivo, Replay, Showstopper, or one of the digital units that are tied to a sat service (DirectTivo from DirectTV, or PVR from Dish). These things will change your life.