What's new

Least expensive 6.1 w/ component video sw (1 Viewer)

Barry.Evans

Agent
After the purchase of a new 48" Mitsubishi HD widescreen and the sale of all my old stereo gear I'm looking to purchase a A/V Reciever to go with the TV.

I'd like to place the componet rack away from the TV given the layout of the room. Hence I'd like a receiver that does component video switching so that I can place the progressive dvd player & other components in the rack. Using the component video feed for all sources (Component/RCA/S-Video) to the TV.

I assume that component video switching recievers handle the translation of S-Video to component output? yes/no?

I'm am now utterly confused as to my choices. I *think* I want component video switching. And I loved DVD-A disks and plan on adding SACD title to my collection.

What reciever would fill my needs w/o being excessively expensive?

I looked at the HK AVR-520 but am shying away from it b/c of quality concerns and the lack of 6th channel amp to support DVDA/SACD or DTS-ES (I think I would add a rear-center in the not so distant future.)

Second choices was the Marantz SR6300 but that lacked component video switching.

Do I really need to shell out $700-800 for a Marantz SR7300?

-Barry

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
How many component devices do you have? I have the Kenwood VR-6060. It has 2 component inputs /w 1 out. It also has 6CH inputs and it does DTS-ES. Got it for $379 at Best Buy.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I assume that component video switching recievers handle the translation of S-Video to component output? yes/no?
Nope. This is the number one big shock to people. Most receivers will not convert one video signal type to another. (I think the Dennon 5800 will, but it's about $3500).

My advice:

- Plan to run SVideo from every device to the receiver, then SVideo to the TV from the receiver.

- Run component cables to the TV straight from the DVD player, and any HDTV tuner/STB.

This gives you the best of both worlds: SVideo makes the system simple to use, but you can flip to one of the component video feeds for serious DVD/HD watching.

So what if you get more than 2 devices providing component/HD video?

I created this thread on Inexpensive HD Video Switching because you are not alone in this.

Many people start with a Progressive DVD player, then get:

- An XBox with progressive output
- A CATV box that offers HDTV output
- A sat receiver that offers HDTV output

These switch box's are not el-cheepo's at about $150, but is sure beats spending $1000 more for a receiver with an extra component video hookup. And the switch box's can be programmed to flip in sync with your receivers remote so the audio and video stay in sync.

Good Luck.

Barry.Evans

Agent
Thanks Bob - I was pretty far into my research still thinking it'd convert s-video to component... Guess they're still working on that.

Anyhow - Thanks for the very informative post, now I just need to find a S-Video enabled VCR for cheap to go with the HK-AVR525 I just bought.

Thanks - Barry

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You need to find a SVHS unit because these are the only VCR's that offer SVideo output.

If you dont watch a lot of tapes, you can buy a cheap $20 Composite-to-SVideo converter from Radio Shack and let the old family VCR appear to be an SVideo source. The quality is ... so so, but frankly my VCR is basically a dust-collector.

If you do a lot of time-shifting of shows, look into a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) like Tivo, Replay, Showstopper, or one of the digital units that are tied to a sat service (DirectTivo from DirectTV, or PVR from Dish). These things will change your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks