What's new

least bright sounding (1 Viewer)

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
Kenwood, Marantz, or Onkyo. Which one is the least bright sounding.
I know I should listen for my self but it is next to impossible to get em all on the same speaker setup for fun time.
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I say marantz, but I've never heard a marantz so i'm just going on what I've heard from this forum. Come to think of it ive never heard an Onkyo described as bright and i've never even seen the sound of a Kenwood described.
Aaron

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
I have a Marantz SR19 and Onkyo 787
find neither bright can,t say for
the Kenwood don,t think I ever
heard a Kenwood.
------------------
Jerry

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,
It will largely depend on your speakers, their setup and your room.
All good receivers are designed to have a flat frequency response and they largely adhere to it.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I have compared Marantz, Onkyo, and Yamaha all in the same store. They sounded the same to me. (You didn't provide model numbers, and neither will I.
wink.gif
) Not all had the exact same speaker, but all were tested at least once with Paradigm speakers from the Monitor line.
I own a Kenwood. It sounds similar, but I didn't do a direct comparison. I do have Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers though.
ALL of them will sound too bright with some speakers and some material. ALL of them will sound less bright other speakers and different material. (I confirmed this with two receivers against about 10 different speaker pairs in the store.)
I'm with John-D.
Hence, I don't think one can avoid the brightness in some setups unless one gets a receiver that can attenuate the "bright" frequencies or gets speakers known to be less bright than average. Fortunately, this is a well-known issue amongst the receiver makers, and many do have re-equalization settings to compensate, to be used specifically for movies.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a Marantz SR6200, 4 Paradigm Titans and a CC-170, and I don't think it sounds overly bright at all.
A friend of mine has an SR-19EX with Monitor 3s, and it does sound a bit bright, but that may just be his settings. I'll have to go listen to it again.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 08, 2001 at 01:34 PM]

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
John D is quite correct. provided all receivers were level matched and making the fairly reasonable assumption that tone controls in all cases were set to their '0' point, there'd be no difference in 'brightness'.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I always leave my settings at home flat.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks