What's new

Learning to play the guitar (1 Viewer)

Rob Tenniswood

Stunt Coordinator
I've decided to learn how to play the guitar. I've always wanted to, and I figure now's as good a time as any. So, anyone have any suggestions about what to do? I've already got a guitar I can use, and I really don't have time for lessons...just a self-teaching thing. What would you suggest?

-Rob

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Rob, If you do not have time for lessons....well you ain't got time to play! Trust me. Find a local musician that you can bond with that does private instruction.
If not, you will become bored and frustrated while your "guitar gently weeps".:frowning:

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Yup. If you don't have time for lessons you don't have time to learn. It takes a LOT more time and effort to "self-teach" than it does to learn based on instruction.

If you're not willing to make time for lessons you don't really have the motivation to learn.

Leroy

Second Unit
Well, I learned just fine without a single lesson. I started learning at 17 and was in a band at 18 (I'm 32 now). The assertion that if you don't have/make time for lessons you shouldn't bother is silly. I didn't have the money for lessons when I was younger, so I taught myself. If you are motivated you CAN learn regardless of wether or not you take lessons. In my situation I learned more and faster on my own than a couple of friends who were enrolled in guitar lessons (1 gave up, 1 still plays today). So there are 2 sides to everything.

Get your self a book with chord charts and scales that has fingering diagrams and get started. You might even pick up a basic instructional video so you can see proper fingering technique. Practice whenever you can.

Tablature is also very helpful and you can learn songs quickly. But you should learn the basics first.

Guitar for the Practicing Musician is a good magazine as it contains soongs notated traditionally and with tablature. Plus there several helpful columns that contain useful info on playing styles, good practice habits etc..

Good Luck.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
The Hal Leonard Guitar Method Books 1, 2, and 3 (all three also available cerlox-bound in one volume) by Will Schmid and Greg Koch are excellent. Now a DVD is available too.

In a very relaxed and highly legible manner, the books take you from the very beginning presuming you know nothing, to picking and strumming patterns/combinations and the more advanced techniques of moving chords up the neck. As you learn the guitar, you also learn music theory that you can use to pick up other instruments. Even the exercises are fun to play.

As you progress, you can pick up additional books in the series to further expand your repertoire.

Practice often and get callouses on those fingers!

Trevor H

Second Unit
Get the "Learning Guitar for Dummies" DVD, and then practice, practice, practice, and when your done practice some more!!!

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Sorry guys, but I don't agree. I do agree that lessons are probably the best way to go in the long run, but you certainly don't need them to learn.

I tried lessons when I first started and only lasted for about two of them. I was bored as hell and just wasn't having fun. I ended up buying a couple of chord books, and subscribing to one of the guitars mags at that time that offered tabulature and never looked back.

I've been playing for going on 20 years and have loved it the entire way. I can't read music to this day, but i have a great ear and have managed to find my own way of going about things. I consider myself a better than average player after all these years, and more important I've had fun learning.

There's more than one way to go about learning Rob, and if you don't find one way working for you, don't hesitate to try something else. The guitar is an amazing amount of fun to play, but it does take practice and effort on your part to learn. It's well worth it in the end though. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks