What's new

Learning to Build a Dedicated HT (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
MacF,
Interesting points you made about conduit. Truthfully, as I indicated in an earlier post, I wasn't sure (and still am not too sure) how to work with the conduit. I thought I saw on some personal web page where people had used conduit and had not drilled through studs. Perhaps they ran the conduit behind the studs before putting up either layer of drywall - is that what you are suggesting?
What would be the best way to attach the conduit to studs so it doesn't rattle and is secure?
MacF/Robin,
Yep, I am also curious if other methods work as well as Acoustiblok for soundproofing, and it does seem as though others have had success with cheaper applications (i.e. staggered seams, soundboard, 2 layers of drywall, etc.)
------------------
Scott

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
After reviewing one of my previous posts I did happen to notice a wording error that probably led to a lot of the confusion.
blush.gif

This is how it should read.
Now I know this is going to sound very confusing but bear with me. If it helps, draw it out on a sheet of paper as I explain it. So let's assume for a minute that you're going to be using all 12ft. sheets to hang the ceiling. To start you need to hang a full sheet or as close to a full sheet as possible to begin your first row. After you've hung the first sheet in the first row you need to start the second row. To start the second row, you need to hang a 6ft. sheet or as close to a 6ft. sheet as possible to start your second row. After you've hung the first sheet in the second row, hang the second sheet in the second row. Then the second sheet in the first row. Then the third sheet in the second row. Keep alternating back and forth between the two rows until you have them completely done. After you have completed the first two rows, you can start hanging the other rows one at a time. Using this method will insure three things.
My sincere apologies to those that were riddled with confusion. Hopefully this should help clear things up a bit.
I've also been able to draw up some diagrams to help illustrate the difference between my method and Robin's method. The numbers in the diagram indicate the order in which the sheets of drywall should be hung.
kev.jpg

------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the drawings Kevin and the corrections ot your previous posts. Things are a little clearer now.
BTW, the direct links to the pics didn't work, but if you click on:
http://www.gourdcraft.20m.com/kev
It should bring up the page with both drawings, then you click on them for the zoom.
Damn free sites never let you do what you want with pics.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Raju, It looks like our completion dates are close! I would love to see photos of your project.
I just finished up the mudding and will install the doors and baseboard next. Two weeks til carpet!
Keep up the good work.
Wes

Mac F

Agent
Scott,
Normally, nothing goes between the sheetrock and studs, including conduit; otherwise it won't fit tightly against the studs. When I have had to add wiiring to an existing room, my preference is to string the wire across the ceiling and down through the wall in the correct spot. Sometimes horizontal wiring is needed, as when stringing several 110v outlets near floor level. There is a lot more drilling involved. You can get rough ideas for this from beginning electrical books at Lowes or Home Depot. The general technique is the same for power lines, phone lines, video cable or speaker cable. One major advantage of using conduit over stapling the wire to the studs is that you can change the wire at a later date. Keep the number of bends to a minimum.
One idea for soundproofing that I read about, but have never actually seen, is called a Z-channel. It is a thin metal strip bent along its length to have a Z cross section. The idea is to attach the top of the z to the stud and then attach the sheetrock to the bottom of the z. the center of the z is free to move. this is intended to isolate any vibration in the sheetrock so it is not coupled to the studs (and the rest of the building). I don't think the home centers carry anything like it. Does anyone have personal experience with this, and where to buy it?

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Yep, Randy's right. His site is the first I've found using resilient channel and I'm very curious about it also. I have to admit I can't wait to hear how Randy's theater sounds once he's completed it. I'll bet it's fantastic and if so, it will be a great forum for learning for all of us who haven't yet tackled our own dedicated HT.
Kevin,great job on the drawings - definitely cleared up some confusion I had over installation sequencing.
------------------
Scott

Jason Price

Second Unit
Wow, lot of good stuff here. I'm getting ready to start finishing my basement and one of the rooms is going to be my theater room (although, not "dedicated" in the traditional sense of the word). I'm going to be doing the electrical (with the help of an electrical engineer friend of mine), the drywalling, a little framing, etc. Basically, everything except the ducting and taping/mudding (going to hire those out). I've never done any of this before, so it should be an adventure. :) Here's my basement, for reference:
basement_dimensions.gif

Anyway, I basically just had a drywalling question. I've read through all the talk about methods and such, but I'm wondering how all this applies to doing both walls and the ceiling. Which do I do first? Do I need to worry about seams at the wall/ceiling joint?
I have 9' ceilings - what would be the best drywall size for this job? I have a LOT of learning to do, so forgive my ignorance. :)
Also, while I'm here, if anyone has any advice/suggestions based on my room, shoot them my way...
------------------
-Jason
If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Jason,
I'll try and get you some answers to your questions a little later this evening. I'm a bit rushed for time at the moment.
------------------
rock_band.gif

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Jason,
Sorry it took so long for me to reply to your questions, but I've been very busy these last couple of weeks.
First off,
2. said:
There are basically two ways to hang 9ft walls.
1.You can use what is commonly referred to as stretch rock. Sheetrock generally comes in 4ft wide sheets. Stretch rock is 4 1/2ft wide, so when you put two sheets together it adds up to 9ft. Although they might be able to special order some stretch rock for you depending on how much you need, most building centers such as Home Depot, Lowes and Sutherlands are not going to carry it so you'll probably have to go to a drywall supply center. Since you live in a big city I would imagine that you would be able to find one rather easily. Look in the yellow pages under drywall suppliers and I'm sure there will be more than one listing.
2. Most of the time sheetrock is hung horizontally but it can also be hung vertically. This is called standing up the sheets. A lot of times when the lid is over 8 or 9ft high, this is what is done. The good thing about standing up the sheets is that you eliminate butt joints (the seam that is created where the ends of two sheets meet) and the only seams that you have on the wall are all recessed joints which are much easier to finish. The bad thing about it, depending upon the dimensions of the wall, is that it can take longer to hang the wall.
After reviewing your floor plans I would recommend using 4'x 9'sheets and standing them up. They will be a lot easier to get down the stairs than long pieces of stretch rock and it's much easier to work with them by yourself. That way you don't have to anger your friends by making them help. :)
If you have any more questions about hanging drywall, feel free to ask me here or via e-mail.
------------------
rock_band.gif

Jason Price

Second Unit
Kevin-
Thanks for the info. I've sent you an email with further questions, as to not bore everyone here with my sitation. :)
------------------
-Jason
If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks