What's new

Learning Remote Suggestions (1 Viewer)

JasonMIL

Grip
I just completed my first HT setup (very beginner level setup but good for my needs). It includes:
Toshiba 32 inch TrueFlat TV
Panasonic SA-HE 100 6.1 Receiver
Motorola Digital Cable Box
Panasonic DVD Palyer (newer model but can't recall model #)
Sony SA-VE 335 Speakers + Powered Sub

I'm hoping that someone can reccommend a decent Universal Learning remote that I can get for under $100, either from a retail store or on e-bay. The LCD remotes look cool but I assume that they have their drawbacks too.

I've been considering the HK Take Control, RCA RCU900, and RCA RCU1000. What else should I be considering. Any help is appreciated.

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

Like most things, it comes down to how much you want to spend. ;)

I ended up getting a Sony VL900 for about $50 or so. All hard buttons (no LCD), learning and macros on every button, and can learn just about anything. Have a look at the reviews on remotecentral.com including the Sony. Given $50, I would defitely get the Sony again. Given $100, I would get a refurbed Pronto (check pricescan.com for prices).

Take care.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Jason,

Hands down one of the best and coolest, most useful learning remotes I've found (and now own)in that price range is the Radio Shack Kameleon (15-2133) SEE IT HERE

It's $60, fully upgradeable (via telephone), easy to set up and tweak, user friendly, oh and did I mention it looks way cool to in the dark (and day as well :) )

If you're lucky enough to find one at your local Shack, I HIGHLY recommend it! CHeck RemoteCentral.com to see some reviews.

Note: yes it has a slight hum, but I never hear it when the TV is on etc...not a deal breaker by any means.

Good luck!
Alfer

JasonMIL

Grip
Thanks. That Kameleon looks pretty cool. what I'm really looking for (who knows if it even exists) is something that will for instance, let me watch tv through the cable box and change channels via remote, while at the same time controlling volume on my receiver without having to swith to tuner mode, adjust volume and then go back to cable mode. Is that clear enough? Like I said, who knows if anything like that even exists.

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
For about $115 you can get the Sony RM-AV3000. I got one for Christmas and love it. Does everything you listed and a lot more. It's more LCD based than hard buttoned though.

As Alf stated, check out Remote Central. It's the end all for remote info.

Tommy

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Jason,

The Kameleon does that. It's called "Volume Lock" and I use it the exact way you mentioned. Actually I have Directv, but you get the idea.

Plus it has 4 Macro, so I set M1 to turn everything on/off, M2 switches me to "Local channels" on my VCR, M3 switches to Directv, and M4 kicks the receiver into DVD mode.

It is really a sweet remote...It replaced my Sony AV2000 and I haven't regretted getting rid of it at all.

Plus it is the first remote to pass the "Wife Test"!

JasonMy

Auditioning
Doesn't the remote for your digital cable box have that feature? Mine does...my remote for the Digital Cable is the best remote I have...except that I haven't figured out how to get the tuner to select the 'DVD' selection.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i highly recommend the home theater master mx-500.

do a search here, it's a very popular model.

order it from here. a friend just ordered one and she received it with no issues.

check out the review at remotecentral.com too. the guy was quite happy with it.

one of the best features is that it has buttons that can be labeled. that way, you can assign a weird function on your remote to one of the blank spots on the programmable unit and then label it correctly. very very useful feature. plus it has macros and all the other stuff.

...let me watch tv through the cable box and change channels via remote, while at the same time controlling volume on my receiver without having to swith to tuner mode...
that feature is typically called "punch through". so the volume functionality works regardless of what mode the remote is in.

also, check out the beginner's faq. i wrote a short article about universal remotes.

[edit] i should mention i'm not affiliated with surf remote control in any way. but i know the guy spends a lot of time at remotecentral.com and his service seems excellent.

JasonMIL

Grip
Thanks for the suggestions guys. What are your opinions on LCD vs. Hard buttons on remotes? Drawbacks, advantages...

I have both the Home Theater Master MX-500 and the SL9000

Either may work for you.. check out the reviews at remotecentral.com

Good luck

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
it's totally personal preference.

with a lcd remote you typically have to look at the remote to find the button. with hard button remote you can feel your way around to find the button.

some models have hybrid configs. they have hard buttons for the most common buttons (channel, volume, mute, power) but use the lcd for the rest.

personally, i like hard buttons. i like feeling my way around plus getting the tactile feedback.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The Kameleon is indeed a very cool unit! My only reservation would be that you ALWAYS have to look at it to do just about anything as there are no 'real' buttons to feel for.

Also check out the One For All URC8911. It's quite inexpensive ($60 Canadian, so about 50 cents US) and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Incidentally, the Kameleon and the One For All brand are made by the same parent company.

JasonMIL

Grip
so i decided to go with the kameleon but can't find it anywhere in the chicago area. any suggestions? it's sold out at radio shack online too.

Ken_VW

Grip
Jason,
I agree with Jacques C., I have the Sony VR-900 and it deserves a second look. It has volume control choices as well. I would buy it again. Mine controls the TV, DVD player, Direct TV box, VCR, and my A/V reciever. I am unfamiliar with the Camielian, so I'm not degrading it in any way, just happy with mine.

Ken

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
I took a piece of 4x4 wood and rubberbanded a remote on each side. Since each remote is a unique shape and size, you always know which one you are dealing with and it's big enough that you don't loose it in the cushions.

I'M KIDDING!!!!! :b

JasonMIL

Grip
Thanks for all your help over the past few days. I picked up my 3rd remote in 5 days this afternoon and it looks to be a keeper. I originally bought the RCA RCU890 but it had a strange bug where the clock on the LCD kept resetting to 12:00 every day. So that went back to the store and was replaced by the RCA 900 (I think). The one that's a combo hard button/lcd. I liked it alot until I got around to programming macros and it froze up every time i tried to program. Tech support was no help so back it went too. Today I finally got wise to RCA (good concepts, bad execution) and bought the Sony RMVL900 that someone mentioned in this thread.

All hard buttons but was so easy to setup all my devices and is so easy for me and my girlfriend to use. AND ... it was only 59.99. I would have gotten the Kameleon IF you were able to change the labels on the LCD keys and choose which keys are displayed....maybe the next version will have this. For now though, since I'm a HT newbie, I figured a cheap but VERY functional remote was good enough for me. After all, why spend all that cash on a remote and not have any left over for DVD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks