What's new

Learning remote reccomendations? (1 Viewer)

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
Any advice on an inexpensive learning remote? I want it as a backup for an odd-ball cable-tv tuner. It will be used to control only this unit, so I don't need anything fancy.
I would prefer one of the universal remotes where you select the brand & model of the device you want to control, but I don't think any will have the codes for it.

Vin

Supporting Actor
If you can still find one (their rumored to be discontinued) the Radio Shack 15-1994 at $40 (usually on sale for $30) would be my recommendation.
Hope this helps.
------------------

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I second the Radio Shack remote. I got one after many recommendations on the HTF. It's the best $30 I've ever spent. If you do get one, make sure you use the online manuals. The in-box manual sux! Good luck...
PS - If they are discontinued, you can probably find one on EBAY.
------------------
-- Chicago is New York done right. --

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
Vin & Perry - thanks much for the help. After looking at the on-line manual, it looks perfect. There are 3 RShacks local to me - I'll check them out today.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
i just went to two radio shacks on friday and both no longer carry the 1994 remote. it's being replaced by the rca remote that you see everywhere.
i'm going to try a couple of other rat-shacks just in case. does anyone know the scoop on the replacement? is it as good? it doesn't seem to have any macro capabilities.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Wow, no more 1994s being manufactured? I'm glad I bought another one for a rainy day. Maybe I can sell one of them for a profit soon. :) Actually, I'll probably end up with an MX-500 once my Audio gear is purchased.
The in-box manual sux!
You are too kind.
Doug
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
John,
If you haven't already picked up a remote, check out the Sony RM-VL900. They can be had on the web for about US35$, and are worth every penny and then some. Easy to program, virtually limitless learning capability, and up to 11 different macros can be defined. Check it out here .
Good luck in your search.
~Kris

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
John: The 1994 RS remote is a re-badged One-For-All unit. One-For-All also makes a unit under their own name called the Cinema 7 (learning version.) It retails for less than $30 and is just as flexible as the 1994. While it doesn't backlight (a few keys glow in the dark though), it is sized smaller, which makes it a bit handier.
I recently set up my Cinema 7 (that had been sitting on the shelf for quite a while) for my bedroom system. I was nothing short of amazed what this thing can accomplish. With a little help from http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/ , I was up and running in just a short while. What commands I couldn't generate (only 8 or so), I taught to the C7.
Definitely worth a look!
P.S. I also agree that if you're willing to spend around $50, the Sony 900 is a great remote. Tons of learning memory...
[Edited last by Chuck Kent on September 17, 2001 at 10:01 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks