Leap Years

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Jul 26, 2001.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Leap Years premeires on Showtime this Sunday, July 29th at 10pm. 2 hour series premeire.
    Leap Years is being advertised as "from the creators of Queer as Folk" - from what I can gather this means Lipman and Cohen are back as writers, and Tony Jonas as executive producer but Cohen/Lipman are not participating as producers - at least not at the outset.
    The show has an interesting premise: Tell the story of 5 New Yorkers in 1993/2001/2008. Each episode will LEAP timelines to tell a broader story. If carried off well, it could very well be an effective way to tell their stories. If not managed properly it could come off as a cheap gimmick.
    I'm really interested to see what comes of it though, as I don't think many creators for television series are looking to shake things up and break out of formula. When they did, it seemed that the audience or the network weren't open to it (Herman's Head for example). Being that Showtime has committed to at least 22 episodes, there should be an opportunity for the idea to grow or fall apart.
    After the season premeire LEAP YEARS will be running at 11pm on Sundays after the encore presentation of season 1 of Queer as Folk.
    I'm interested enough to tune in for the first several episodes. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
    Showtime's website for Leap Years is here:
    Leap Years
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection
    [Edited last by John Berggren on July 26, 2001 at 09:00 AM]

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Well, I've seen the first episode, and I'm certainly not hooked yet. It's somewhat interesting. It'll be particularly interesting to see how deftly they handle the three timelines independently and relationally to the successive timeframes.
    Presumably if the show would run for 7 seasons I imagine they would have to bring each timeline full circle - 1993 would meet 2001 and 2001 would meet 2008. If they could pull that off effectively it would be interesting.
    They've chosen to show 2008 technology on the show, and I have a feeling that will serve to date the show both with reruns and the potential of the present meeting the future. I have a feeling full VR video games are a bit more than 7 years off. However, I've been proven wrong in this arena before.
    I decided before it started that I'd be giving it a few episodes to see if it fails miserably or flies admirably. So far, for me, it's done neither. Did anybody else catch it and have thoughts?
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection